G-Wagon specs

lt1fire

Adventurer
Few questions for someone who knows nothing about these trucks.

What diesel engine came in the early 80's G-Wagons that were in the US?

1. Was it the OM617?
What was the power output?
2. All axle ratios were 6.17's right?
3. What were the transmission ratios?
4. How much did the 4 doors weigh?

Sorry for the newb questions but i'm thinking of doing a OM617 in my cruiser but I think it is too heavy and the engine is underpowered for the app.

I did drive an early G-wagon years ago before I was in to 4x4's and remember that it was peppy enough and the weight of a G-Wagon seems to be about as heavy as an 80?

kerry

Expedition Leader
They came with the 616 or 617. But the 617 was NA, not turbo. There's a fairly significant difference between the NA and turbo. Personally, I wouldn't deliberately own a 617 to be driven at altitude without a turbo. 90hp in the NA. 120hp in the turbo

zimm

Expedition Leader
not in an 80.

locate a 2.8 powerstroke, or an isuzu if youre looking to avoid the cummins 4bt racket.

dieselcruiserhead on MUD, and here, would be your man for 80 opinions.

(toyota make really nice diesels i hear. never been in one and i dont think the parts are easy to obtain in N.A. but, that would be a swap with lots of MUD knowledge.)

4x4abc

Adventurer
Few questions for someone who knows nothing about these trucks.

What diesel engine came in the early 80's G-Wagons that were in the US?

1. Was it the OM617?
What was the power output?
2. All axle ratios were 6.17's right?
3. What were the transmission ratios?
4. How much did the 4 doors weigh?

Sorry for the newb questions but i'm thinking of doing a OM617 in my cruiser but I think it is too heavy and the engine is underpowered for the app.

I did drive an early G-wagon years ago before I was in to 4x4's and remember that it was peppy enough and the weight of a G-Wagon seems to be about as heavy as an 80?

OM617 is the 3.0 liter diesel engine for the 300GD - 88HP
axle ratio is 4.888:1
transmission ratios depend on whether its automatic, 4-speed or 5-speed
details here
weight 2,000+ kg

lt1fire

Adventurer
Thanks for the info..... I still haven't totally given up on it due to availability but they are underpowered. I may save my om617 to swap into my 4runner instead.

Or just buy an old G for my wife sometime next year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles