G-Wagen w/ factory portals, air suspension

haven

Expedition Leader
The biggest customers for the Gelandewagen are armed forces around the world. These buyers
want an up-armored version of the G-Wagen that also has more mobility. Mercedes has responded
with this concept:

GWagen-portals-2.jpg

The new Mercedes-Benz LAPV 6.X concept was shown recently at the
EUROSATORY 2010 event. Portal axles and adjustable air shocks give the
LAPV 6.X up to 17 inches of ground clearance. Spring rates have been
adjusted to give the LAPV 6.0 a cargo capacity of 2800 lbs, even with the
extra armor.

Read about the LAPV 6.X, and see more photos of the suspension here
http://www.autoblog.com/2010/07/06/mercedes-benz-g-wagon-lapv-6-x-concept-ready-to-blitz-the-front/

1speed

Explorer
SWEET! Wait for one as military surplus and turn it into an Overlanding vehicle. It shouldn't raise too many eyebrows at border crossings! :Wow1::elkgrin:

haven

Expedition Leader
Mercedes also showed a larger G-Wagen/Unimog hybrid called the 7.X.
This model installs a cab based on the G-Wagen onto the full Unimog
chassis (probably a U3000.)

GWagen-on-mog-1.jpg

GWagen-on-mog-2.jpg

With tongue firmly in cheek, Mercedes refers to the 6.X and 7.X as the
new "Protection Class."

I read a report that the German armed forces have ordered the 6.X
for immediate production. Next stop, Afghanistan.

skysix

Adventurer
Actually I'm surprised that sort of hybrid hasn't been tried before.

A "civilised" U1300 with CTIS and a G'Wagon body would be sweet!

Oilworker

Explorer
Watch out regarding the possible price tag!
These bolt-on drop boxes look very much like the ones build by LeTech for the G-wagon. They presented them last year on a show in Germany.
The whole set is tagged at just above € 60.000,- and I have seen a quote, incl installation, for almost €75.000,- :Wow1:

The LAPV 6.x and 7.x are just studies and even though it´s been rumoured that the first have been ordered there are a few serious flaws in the setup chosen, e.g. just look at the brake line, it´ll tear off in any serious offroading!

The front shock mounts seem a bit flimsy, if you think about the weight of the fully B6 or even B7 class armoured G......

So long,

Robert

P.S.: The drop boxes I am running on my Defender can be fitted to a G, too, and are by far less expensive! :wings:

Outback

Explorer
I would love to see this platform with out the armor. I love the "square" cab design and the small bed. Enclose the bed and it would be perfect!

Oilworker

Explorer
The best armour though is the one you wont see.
There´s a shop in Israel that even installs windows that can slide down at normal speeds, making the B6 class armour very hard to detect.

I spent a lot of time at the Mercedes exhibit.
I enquired how much a 6X6 Zetros would be:
90000 euros + options (plus taxes if applicable)
Not that bad. Of course it's pretty much all heavy duty Actros parts.
they had a Zetros with a ~375 hp OM457 ~12L diesel instead of the usual 326hp 7.2L OM926.
Also I found out they were mulling over a lower low range for the Zetros as an option i.e 3.95:1
You could put a pretty big camper on a 2733 Zetros.

Charlie

haven

Expedition Leader
Here's a video that introduces the Zetros 4x4. The first minute or so is fluff, the remainder shows the vehicle being driven on a test track.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jl9qEykLsU"]YouTube- Mercedes Zetros Mar 2010.VOB[/ame]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94