G-Wagen / Landcruiser 70s Series

Xenobian

Does anyone have anything to say in terms of weighing up pros and cons of the G-Wagon compared to a Toyota Landcruiser 70s series (HZJ75...). This is from the perspective of cross-Africa overlanding.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
What age of vehicle? Both are immensely capable and rugged. Parts <should> be available for both in most if not all African countries. Personally I would give the reliability nod to Toyota, but if you’re buying used, it’s a crap shoot.

Xenobian

What age of vehicle? Both are immensely capable and rugged. Parts <should> be available for both in most if not all African countries. Personally I would give the reliability nod to Toyota, but if you’re buying used, it’s a crap shoot.
Looking at new. I would also be inclined to agree about Toyota (which I have experience with and currently have a 78) although I have never driven a G wagon. I know from experience that Toyota parts are generally not an issue in most of Africa (most NGOs etc are using them everywhere), and I believe Mercedes Benz have a similarly good Africa network (although perhaps not AS good). For Africa trips, I am carrying most parts anyway, and am yet to have a mission critical scenario of being unable to get parts locally. The differences between the two options may well be small enough to render it a question of simply personal preference...

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I have driven newer Gs (2019) and absolutely love them. I have only driven older generations of the 70 Series as they are not available new in North America. I would not hesitate to buy either of the vehicles you are looking at. The ride in the G might be more civilized than the 70 from what I’ve heard, but as I said, I haven’t driven a current generation of the 70s. You really can’t go wrong with either, so personal preference will be the decision maker.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Looking at new. I would also be inclined to agree about Toyota (which I have experience with and currently have a 78) although I have never driven a G wagon. I know from experience that Toyota parts are generally not an issue in most of Africa (most NGOs etc are using them everywhere), and I believe Mercedes Benz have a similarly good Africa network (although perhaps not AS good). For Africa trips, I am carrying most parts anyway, and am yet to have a mission critical scenario of being unable to get parts locally. The differences between the two options may well be small enough to render it a question of simply personal preference...

Where are you located? Are you talking a new USA G-Wagen (ie G550 or G63), or a new Euro G-Wagen (G 350D), like the Professional line?
Regardless, personally I wouldn't feel comfortable taking either across Africa; too much German overcomplication with too many sensors and electronic widgets to be problematic, you'd need to purchase($$) and carry a factory Xentry/DAS Mercedes scan tool, etc.

I'd feel much safer with the Toyota, even if it is like driving an appliance. My $0.01.

Xenobian

Where are you located? Are you talking a new USA G-Wagen (ie G550 or G63), or a new Euro G-Wagen (G 350D), like the Professional line?
Regardless, personally I wouldn't feel comfortable taking either across Africa; too much German overcomplication with too many sensors and electronic widgets to be problematic, you'd need to purchase($$) and carry a factory Xentry/DAS Mercedes scan tool, etc.

I'd feel much safer with the Toyota, even if it is like driving an appliance. My $0.01.
Located in UT but the vehicle will remain based and registered in Europe (I decided to not get into the problems relating to importing such a vehicle new to the US....) Yes, those things could cause a major a problem in Africa, giving Toyota a significant edge - accepted.

franticskwerrel

There's a lot of different versions of the G. You didn't say if it was new or even if it was the diesel or the G550/G63.

If it is the newer G550/G63 models, know that they take Premium Grade gas. If you're going cross-continent, I wouldn't expect a lot of stations to have that.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
There's a lot of different versions of the G. You didn't say if it was new or even if it was the diesel or the G550/G63.

If it is the newer G550/G63 models, know that they take Premium Grade gas. If you're going cross-continent, I wouldn't expect a lot of stations to have that.

Re-read post 3; "Looking at new."

Both the G550 and G63 will run on 87oct or 89oct vs 91/92oct, they'll just ping/knock and the ECU/DME will adjust accordingly. Spark plugs will need to be changed more often. Also, it wouldn't be a bad idea to replace the fuel filter more often.

PS--frantic, do have more pics of your monster G?

smeiman

I have been off roading/Overlanding in a G-550 for 5 years now, building it as I go. For me the Gwagon is special, there is something about a well made German vehicle that I appreciate. I am sure the Toyota folks feel the same way about the Land cruiser but for me their is only one choice. Parts are expensive so if you can do your own wrenching it will help keep the costs down. If you go with a G550 octane booster or avgas is an option.

Attachments

• 64B2CABA-F32F-4C55-93E6-2C2789A2D092.jpeg
    64B2CABA-F32F-4C55-93E6-2C2789A2D092.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 47
The only G worth considering in the OP application is the G461, intended for military etc usages, no bling, probably Euro 3 diesel, 16” rims, Hutchinsons with 8.25R16 XZL, etc etc. A 463, like a Beverly Hills/drug dealer G550 with 22-24” wheels and massive bling would be a joke in most of Africa.
I’d trade it for the first Troopy or technical I ran into, if in Africa.
461s are sort of hard to find even in Europe unless you buy it for outside EU usage. Or unless you’re an army.

spallet

done that trip with both vehicles hzj75 troopy and a 290gd Kastenwagen,,,i will suggest hzj75-78 troopy...more space and easier to find parts,,290gd dual factory lockers,better ride, better fuel economy, keep both vehicles as stock as possible.
235/85/16 tire size

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94