G-Wagen Ambulance camper conversion!

Devil1964

Hi everyone, after months of planning, phone calls, and watching money fly out my bank account, I have started a conversion on a 1994 G ambulance. I shipped it from Germany to Nova Scotia, Canada. Importation was fairly strightforward, and I had no problem with Customs or getting it registered (I think the office staff took one look at the German documents and stamped 'em to get rid of me!)

Here's a few pics of it to start with. I'm thinking if I start this thread, it will give me some impetus to get moving on it and share some updates!

Attachments

• DSC03136.JPG
    DSC03136.JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 2,919
  • gw.jpg
    gw.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 2,641

JKDetonator

Adventurer
Nice!

That's going to make a great expo wagon! I just can't get over the fact that we can't have this in the USA! Land of the free (not!) home of the brave (very few!). Mostly we're just downtrodden, overtaxed, lemmings...

Indiana Drew

Observer
That's going to make a great expo wagon! I just can't get over the fact that we can't have this in the USA! Land of the free (not!) home of the brave (very few!). Mostly we're just downtrodden, overtaxed, lemmings...

We can - its just got to be 1984 and older!

Devil1964

Thanks for the responses, everyone! We are hoping to take it to Central America once it's done; I'm building the furniture at the moment and removing the 24v Webasto blown-air heating, to be replaced by a Webasto 12v heating/hot water system.

Lots to do, and it is taking a lot longer than I thought!

bobDog

Expedition Leader
Actually, unless the laws have changed, every US citizen gets a one time, one vehical importation right. In the case of autos you have to alter the car to match US bumper and crash bars (inside doors). Trucks I don't know.
As I said I don't know if laws have changed. When I was in the auto restoration biz quit a few years back this was true and that is why we have so many 'gray market cars' I heard of folks getting by the 1 car 1 person law by cutting a car in 1/2...importing as scrape and parts, then rebuilding in the states....If I had time I would Google to see if there are still ways around.
I agree w/ the lemmings thing we just get told its the law and we accept it. In general at least! :coffee:

39Ronin

Adventurer
Hey Devil1964,

Maybe you should be become a member over at the Pointed Three Forums http://pointedthree.com/disc/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=57&setcookie=1&DisplayType=Flat and Clubwagen.com http://www.clubgwagen.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=18 as I am sure there are many members over there that would love to see this awesome G. The members offer quite a bit of tech support over at those sites also. Anyway I frequent this site as well as the others and I wanted to make you feel welcome at the other two sites.

Devil1964

Cheers for the recommendations, I will look into the other sites! I've not much time for internet at the moment... you can see from the pix I've been busy this week! The interior is starting to take shape.

Attachments

• 100_1289_1.jpg
    100_1289_1.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 1,260
  • 100_1299_2.jpg
    100_1299_2.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 1,087
  • 100_1304_5.jpg
    100_1304_5.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 1,031
  • 100_1301_4.jpg
    100_1301_4.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 1,135
  • 100_1292_3.jpg
    100_1292_3.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 1,009

39Ronin

Adventurer
Any update on your build, I would love to see your progress on this wonderful vehicle as would others I'm sure.

Devil1964

The interior conversion is now finished (for now!) I've used it mainly for weekends and the odd movie location shoot (my gf has been doing acting work all over Nova Scotia, so this truck is great for location shoots!)

I fitted the porta-potty on slides which makes it easier to pull in and out, as there's nothing worse than wrestling with that at 3 in the morning after a few beers. The diesel stove works very well, it takes a while to heat up (and makes a noise like a jet engine taking off!) but we've been very impressed with it.

We are hoping to winter somewhere in the US (Las Vegas/Arizona/CA). Anyone have any suggestions for good places to stop, please let me know!

Attachments

• Truck_Blomiden.jpg
    Truck_Blomiden.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 1,049
  • toilet1.jpg
    toilet1.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 903
  • toilet2.jpg
    toilet2.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 800
  • interior.jpg
    interior.jpg