G-Wagen 5 Door 5 Cylinder Diesel VIN# ?????

Dave Paine

SANY0043.JPGSANY0053.JPGSANY0076.JPGSANY0050.JPG
I'm helping a friend of mine sell an '82 G-wagon. (in the for sale section)
It's in great shape, but the VIN seems to be incorrect. I look it up on the Benz site, and it tells me a '2' in the fourth spot indicates a gas engine. But it's a diesel!!!

The VIN# 46023317020662 (14 digits) any ideas?

Also, I'm sure this is mentioned elsewhere, but it's a GD300 is that body style? With a 460 chassis? Just trying to learn...
Dave

I talked to the owner, and he told me this was a grey market truck imported into the us in 1982, and it has the original engine and drivetrain....
So, I guess that back in the day, this could not be imported normally? Interesting....

Last edited:

DUTCH

Curmudgeon
Somebody has obviously done an engine conversion or stolen the VIN.

Attached is the Vehicle Data Card for that VIN. It was a 280GE (6 cylinder gasoline) model that was first delivered on 6 November 1981.

View attachment 147183

inkblotz

To verify the VIN: Check the frame rail inside the front passenger wheel well (the back part of the tire area). The VIN is stamped there as well.

Mark

DUTCH

Curmudgeon
To verify the VIN: Check the frame rail inside the front passenger wheel well (the back part of the tire area). The VIN is stamped there as well.

Mark

Good idea, as the one shown in the original message is not a Daimler or SDP VIN ID tag.

Dave Paine

Thanks for the suggestion guys, the vin on the frame as well as the vin on the firewall matches the windshield.
Bob told me that this was illegal to import back in the day, that it is a GD300 W460-2
He also dropped the price to $19,500 or best offer.... He's out in it right now, although there isn't really any terrain worthwhile in Florida.... :-(

SANY0086.JPG

otiswesty

Regular guy
Thanks for the suggestion guys, the vin on the frame as well as the vin on the firewall matches the windshield.
Bob told me that this was illegal to import back in the day, that it is a GD300 W460-2
He also dropped the price to $19,500 or best offer.... He's out in it right now, although there isn't really any terrain worthwhile in Florida.... :-(

No offense intended, but it sounds like Bob made that up. There is no such thing as a 460-2 300GD. The original owner would be able to tell you for sure, but good luck with that. A posting of the numbers on the engine and injection pump would tell you if it is a Gwagen motor or from a diesel sedan. It looks like a G motor since it is non turbo, but would still be a transplant, possibly the transplant was done when the vehicle was relatively new in Europe. The naturally aspirated motors are a bit underpowered for the highway in a long wheel base. Not bad if you don't care, but frustrating if you do.

Nothing wrong with a transplanted 300 om617 diesel motor, if it is done correctly and running well then it saves you the trouble of doing it yourself (unless you want the turbo version). If you are looking for a stock vehicle, keep looking. If you like it, buy it, but the seller should take the obvious history into account when pricing the truck.

Best of luck.

Last edited:

DUTCH

Curmudgeon
Bob told me that this was illegal to import back in the day,

It was most definitely NOT illegal to import. It just had to be Federalized after importation, which on this one appears not to have been done. Best check with Rena Lee at USDOT to see what is the status.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Agreed. My 1980 300GD LWB barn door was legally imported and federalized into Portland, OR back in '81....had the full federalization docs to prove it.

Mercedes data card trumps Bob, sorry to say.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles