G-Class EDITION30.PUR

T

Totenkopf

You can spend half and have a Land Cruiser which would be as capable and probably even more reliable than a G-Wagon. So you will just pay for the brand and everything behind it, just like a LR.
LC does not have solid axles, and never seen a G reliability problem. But you could spend 1/3 and get a 4dr JK. I think the G is worth the US price, by the value of parts and build that they have.

Gurkha

Adventurer
The TLC and FJ are extremely competent offroaders and also very reliable but then the G is couple of notches over them specially the diesel one. Coupled with diff locks, over-engineered powertrain, a design that is simply functional and with a body panel that can take rock hits with ease, its a different breed alltogether and thankfully MB has seen it right not to finger it and make it like other Metrosexual mall cruisers just for marketing purpose.

Crookthumb

Adventurer
The roofrack will probably fit older versions. There are pretty much the same body.

You can build one yourself for sure but you will need a lot of $$$. And at the end of the day you will have a very capable vehicle made by Mercedes, but nothing else.

You can spend half and have a Land Cruiser which would be as capable and probably even more reliable than a G-Wagon. So you will just pay for the brand and everything behind it, just like a LR.

I figured the roof rack would I just wasn't sure about the ladder.

You can find a used G for under $20,000 just like you can find a used Toy or LR.

Plus I like the fact that the factory has put in the extra effort to make accessories that are useful for overlanding/off roading. Universal racks very rarely look right. If accessories are engineered for the vehicle they should last longer and fit better without any or minimal vehicle butchery. I also like the uniqueness of the G-Wagen look.

Wow, this is so nice. I was avoiding this thread for fear I would fall in love, but I caved in. Man, I've got a stiffy for this thing. It'd look really nice in white.

Someone mentioned they won't sell it in the US because it's too cheap? What kind of cheap? Inferior quality, or not expensive enough? Being a Mercedes, I wouldn't expect either one of those to be an issue...

Now, about the wood. I think it looks nice, but I'm doubting the practicality of it. Is there a benefit from it that that I'm unaware of?

Rock FJ

Observer
LC does not have solid axles, and never seen a G reliability problem. But you could spend 1/3 and get a 4dr JK. I think the G is worth the US price, by the value of parts and build that they have.

Well the Land Cruiser we are talking about is not the one they sell here.
http://www.toyota.com.au/landcruiser-70-series

This is comparing apples to apples. The JK is a not even close to an apple.

Check this site
http://www.mercedes-benz-usa.com/g_class.php

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against the G-wagons. as a matter of fact it has and still is one of my dream vehicles. Before purchasing the FJ I looked into older G500s but the electronics are just a killer if you break down in the middle of nowwhere. A work version from the military or the one shown above would be a great vehicle, but we don't get them here just like we don't get the work versions of the Land Cruisers. :mad:

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
Am I seeing this correctly? Rear bucket seats with the heater in the middle? They really did give this one some thought!

Gurkha

Adventurer
The electronic woes are only on a certain era of V8 engined G500s, no such issues are present anymore. In terms of sheer strength of parts, let me tell you, having experienced both TLC and G extensively off and on road, the G would take far more pounding before it would break. Toyotas in South Africa generally crack their chassis far earlier than G. Only problem with G is its high cost of entry. The 2.7L diesel engine G is whats sold to NATO and MB sells it all over the globe except here in US sadly.

T

Totenkopf

Someone mentioned they won't sell it in the US because it's too cheap? What kind of cheap? Inferior quality, or not expensive enough? Being a Mercedes, I wouldn't expect either one of those to be an issue...

Now, about the wood. I think it looks nice, but I'm doubting the practicality of it. Is there a benefit from it that that I'm unaware of?

I think the wood thing might be so it is replaceable after getting banged up, and it's probably there so you do not trash the permanent metal floor.

It's too cheap for America, meaning it does not cost enough, since it would get priced at around $50K. Probably also the 1970s era interior would be considered too cheap/crappy for a Mercedes in the US market too.

Well the Land Cruiser we are talking about is not the one they sell here.
http://www.toyota.com.au/landcruiser-70-series

This is comparing apples to apples. The JK is a not even close to an apple.
The JK is similar size, 4x4, low range t-case, solid axles with lockers, coil springs, 4 doors, so I think it compares fine. They are very similar besides the removeable top. And they will not sell the old model LC70 or old model G in US, but if they did, they would both be priced $45-$55K, and for that price I would rather have the G.

The only crappy Gs I know of are the ones with V8 Diesels, and it is just the engine. Those engines are like the Ford 6.0Ls of Germany.

Jwestpro

Explorer
The electronic woes are only on a certain era of V8 engined G500s, no such issues are present anymore.

What years are "bad" in G500/G55 in the US? So far I have read and heard from a MB tech that 02 worse, 03 less bad, and so on with 04 being not so bad, etc.

I'm looking at 04 G55 for the naturally aspirated but higher hp motor and 04 had the heated windscreen which is nice on winter trips but honestly the flat window would be so easy to scrape so it mainly the later G55 non-supercharged that I am leaning towards.

I would have guessed it is less electronics than an 09 G550 but maybe they are really still very similar in electronics terms - for concerns of far away reliability that is.

I got a 96 Discovery in 2000, then drove the miles up over 200k but it's still running great, albeit with many replaced parts over the years and a head/piston job around 200k. Then got a 2004 Discovery II because it was to me the best of the line - I have a 2007 LR3 too ( http://www.jwestproductions.com/lr3/ ) but in many ways prefer the old 2004 - thus why I'm looking at solid axle G wagons now - should have a long time ago.

Last edited:

Gurkha

Adventurer
2002 had bad electricals, mechanically it was as sound as any other MB, by 2004, all woes were weeded out. As far as I know, now MB uses Nippodenso electricals and are proving to be quite reliable in the electrics department.

If you are seriously into off roading, don't get lured by the V8 or V12 Gs however good they are and powerful, instead look for the NATO G equivalent with 2.7L turbo CRDI inline 6. Far better option and way more reliable in every way.

Jwestpro

Explorer
If you are seriously into off roading, don't get lured by the V8 or V12 Gs however good they are and powerful, instead look for the NATO G equivalent with 2.7L turbo CRDI inline 6. Far better option and way more reliable in every way.

We want something that is nice for long road trips as well though. I don't know how available those models are in the US anyway, regardless of what I want I know the V12 is not available here and any new model diesel is not available either.

Gurkha

Adventurer
The diesel is very nice for long trips, its a MB diesel so its quite civilized. From what I have heard, MB USA is seriously contemplating bringing in the big V8 diesel powered G in the near future. Of course, if you are looking for the gas engine, the V8 G sold currently would suit you fine.

dclee

Observer
The electronic woes are only on a certain era of V8 engined G500s, no such issues are present anymore. In terms of sheer strength of parts, let me tell you, having experienced both TLC and G extensively off and on road, the G would take far more pounding before it would break. Toyotas in South Africa generally crack their chassis far earlier than G. Only problem with G is its high cost of entry. The 2.7L diesel engine G is whats sold to NATO and MB sells it all over the globe except here in US sadly.

While I may not have seen or read what you've seen or read, I would tend to disagree with this based on my own experience (the cracked chassis thing). Toyota pickups/mini-trucks/Hi-Luxes? Sure. Seen 'em crack on the trail, seen 'em welded back up on the trail, seen 'em complete the trail. No major drama, and anyway, they're light-duty vehicles, so what would one expect? But Land Cruisers (real ones, not Prados)? I don't think so. Sure there may be an exception here or there, but in general, they are built every bit as tough as a G, and have been so for far longer. And there's a reason why they have displaced Land Rover and become the dominant work vehicle in Africa, Australia, the Middle East, and most other parts of the world.

I have owned and wheeled three Land Cruisers and two G-Wagens, so I have also experienced both, and both on and off road. While we don't have the corrugated roads they have in SA, we do have a whole lot of Sierra granite to ********** our trucks against...

I guess I'm just not into disparaging one vehicle to elevate another, I like to take each at its face value, objectively. That's probably why I've owned and continue to own both, and even can find value in Land Rovers and Jeeps <gasp>. I still own a 2004 100 Series Cruiser and a 1981 460 G. They are both great trucks and I would not hesitate to take either one around the world.

BTW, if what you say is true, it's amusing to me how the Germans now use a Toyota kieretsu manufacturer (Nippondenso) for some or all of their electronics (though I'm assuming/hoping there's still some Bosch in the current G-Class...).

Gurkha

Adventurer
You have two legends and both are great in their own right, the G is just a bit more strongly built than the TLC but then its nitpicking at the most. There was an article in a German magazine about MB being real pissed with the current quality of BOSCH electricals and therefore made the decision to switch to ND.

Btw, the latest Fortuner, Innova, Corolla, Civic sold here in India all use BOSCH braking system, even the TRD FJ uses Billstein although I rate Tockiko quite good as well.

wesel123

Explorer
My German reseller says the price for the above is 57K Euros which is $72K. A little steep, don't you think? If it would come to the US, it would be cheaper here than over there as any other German vehicle is.

More G-wagons built for tough environments
http://www.rheinmetall-defence.com/index.php?fid=1403&lang=3&pdb=1

That has to be one of the coolest website I've ever seen:drool::drool:...It cool how the BMW motorcycles use the CAN-Bus like these vehicals do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles