G-Class EDITION30.PUR

haven

Expedition Leader
"...dream car for world travelers and expedition leaders..."

G-class-30-pur.jpg

To celebrate 30 years of Gelandewagen production, Mercedes is introducing a special version of the G-Class called the EDITION30.PUR.

As with so many cool off-road oriented vehicles, it appears unlikely that this vehicle will find its way to North America. Instead, we get a commemorative edition of the G500 with special wood and leather interior. Sigh...

Chip Haven

from the Mercedes press release

G-Class EDITION30.PUR: Special model to mark the anniversary

The fact that the G-Class was designed for operations in the most difficult terrain right from the start is made particularly clear by the special EDITION30.PUR model, based on the G 280 CDI from the G 461 series.

This long-wheelbase Station Wagon pays homage to the first-generation G-Model. It has been optimized specifically for the toughest assignments off the beaten track, and is therefore the future dream car for world travelers, expedition leaders, confirmed fans of the "G" and customers who are in search of an automotive rarity with uncompromising reliability and the ability to go anywhere.

With the optional "Off-road package 1" or "Off-road package 2", the G EDITION30.PUR can be equipped for any eventuality with all-terrain tires in size 265/75 R 16 on aluminum wheels, flexible wheel arch flaring, protective grilles for the headlamps and lights, a walk-on bonnet for easier access to the optional roof rack, a towing lug at the front and a two-section rear door.

In the interior there are four individual seats upholstered in hard-wearing fabric or man-made leather, rubber floor coverings in the passenger compartment, spray-protected controls and drainage apertures in the footwells.

A load compartment with a wooden floor, load lashing lugs and rails is standard, as are an auxiliary heater and manually operated air conditioning to cope with any climatic zone encountered...

In Europe, the "EDITION30.PUR" costs from 59,381 Euro incl. VAT. (about $75K in USD)

T

Totenkopf

It think it won't come to the US because it would be too cheap. It cost like half the price of a top-of-the-line Geländewagen in Germany. Also, the engine has never been EPA tested.

At first I thought it was jus another lame package, but for the first time, I really might buy a Geländewagen, even if it is kind of small.

You get an old style (Swiss Army) grille, nice big old style mirrors, cool barn doors, roof rack with ladder, quad captains chairs, hose out interior, wood rear floor (******?)...the OM647 I5 Diesel powerplant, part time 4x4 with a t-case/not full time 4x4. It looks like a perfect little work truck/family truck. It even has the old type military dash.

1781279_6bcc76c9d0.jpg

1781293_931d8d1ac0.jpg

1781312_9ee7378dd1.jpg

1781346_0ea7ce5033.jpg

1781240_04a5a9bc07.jpg

1781371_c46e3ea16c.jpg

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
Brilliant:

Don't think these are too wow:
all-terrain tires in size 265/75 R 16 on aluminum wheels, flexible wheel arch flaring, protective grilles for the headlamps and lights,

Now the some nice stuff:
a walk-on bonnet ... towing lug at the front ...two-section rear door...rubber floor....drainage apertures...load compartment with a wooden floor, load lashing lugs and rails...auxiliary heater and manually operated air conditioning to cope with any climatic zone encountered...

Very nice! Would one worry about a wooden floor splintering in an accident? Like how "manual" AC is a feature? That should be "standard." :)

Gurkha

Adventurer
OMG, I am in love, that too in black, my color of choice. Toyota, Mitsu, learn, don't change working formula just because your sales department says so. The original FJ was a great design, they didn't have to touch anything in that. It had a cult following not that I am saying that the new FJ is bad, still sticking to original design that works is the way to go as the great G shows it.

Last edited:

762X39

Explorer
The last G500's in Canada were $126,000 at my local dealer. Except for the leather and walnut they are still true off pavement trucks.As soon as you engage low range, the centre or diff locks, all the electronics turns off and put you in control.What else could you really want? And yes the build quality is that good.As soon as the rich soccer mom up the street wants to part with hers I will option my soul to her for it. :) Oh and the tire size is fine for the real world.It is a true expo vehicle, not a rock crawler or some other less capable vehicle.

haven

Expedition Leader
"The last G500's in Canada were $126,000 at my local dealer. "

In USA, the base price for the 2009 G500 is $100,250.

Crookthumb

Adventurer
But will all the accessories be available in NA or the US? If you are not able to get the full thing maybe you can build up one. Will the rack and ladder fit older G-Wagens. I know not all the rear doors are the same so I was wondering about clearance issues. I wouldn't mind finding an older G and adding the rack and ladder with factory spec fit and finish. That and is the hood stronger then previous models or are they all capable of holding heavy loads?

Rock FJ

Observer
a different kind of G with a V12
http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/news/brabus-g-v12-s-biturbo-700-ps-im-g-modell-984701.html

All G wagons are hand made in Austria by Steier Puch, so they should be the same quality for all their models

The roofrack will probably fit older versions. There are pretty much the same body.

You can build one yourself for sure but you will need a lot of $$$. And at the end of the day you will have a very capable vehicle made by Mercedes, but nothing else.

You can spend half and have a Land Cruiser which would be as capable and probably even more reliable than a G-Wagon. So you will just pay for the brand and everything behind it, just like a LR.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles