FYI on some solar panel sales

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Check the warranty. If it came with MC connectors, then removing them will often void the warranty.

They have two leads (pos/neg) and are using those funky cylindrical waterproof plug & jack connectors called MC4-2 on each lead. On the back of the panel is a nice junction box and you can remove the supplied leads and connect your own leads to the screw terminals

I just received an 80 watt panel. It does NOT have screw-terminals inside. You'd have to solder onto the leads inside the junction box. I bought a short MC4 cable, cut it in half and used that to get bare leads.

zuren

Adventurer
I been waiting a 60w or 80w for some time now as well. They still dont have any 60w but they do have the 80w in now and for about $20 cheaper
(in stock & current $$)
100watt- $135
80watt - $108
40watt- $55

Josh

So does SolarBlvd.com keep a limited stock that they sell quickly? I'm curious about solar and would not need much to keep a battery topped up but can't justify the usual prices I see. I see these prices quoted at Solarblvd but when I look they are out of stock.

pods8

Explorer
So does SolarBlvd.com keep a limited stock that they sell quickly? I'm curious about solar and would not need much to keep a battery topped up but can't justify the usual prices I see. I see these prices quoted at Solarblvd but when I look they are out of stock.

They were preselling shipping containers worth of solar panels to offer those prices while the Chinese were putting subsidized panels on the market, it was the "perfect storm" for low cost panels at the moment (politics aside). Those deals have come and gone it seems. In the past solarblvd has had a larger selection and better pricing, aside from those really low prices, I suspect there is some dust that needs to settle now and thus the low current selection.

I've got my 100watt panel sitting in my shed for when I get my build done.

Tacostan

Costco solar panels

Anyone had a chance to check out the solar panels at Costco? For a 100 watt panel it is 189.00. You would have to buy a controller and wire of course. Always easy to return if it didn't work out.

The Grape Solar 100 Watt Solar Panel is the most cost effective module in its class. This panel is designed to be used as a battery charger when operated in conjunction with a Charge Controller. The use of a Charge Controller (not included) will optimize the panel performance and regulate the voltage of the output for safe battery charging.
This 100 Watt panel is ideal for charging any appliance/machinery including: RVs, Pumps, Gates, Electric Fences, Lighting, Car Batteries and much more.
Features:

100 Watt, 18.5 Vmpp, 5.42 Impp
900mm leads with Male and Female MC4 Connectors
Panel Dimensions: 47.0” tall x 21.1” wide x 1.57” thick
Weight: 17.6 lbs
Warranty Information:
10 year limited warranty on materials and workmanship
25 year warranty on >80% power output and 10 years ≥ 90% power output

Mel.Specs

Adventurer
Anyone had a chance to check out the solar panels at Costco? For a 100 watt panel it is 189.00. You would have to buy a controller and wire of course. Always easy to return if it didn't work out.

The Grape Solar 100 Watt Solar Panel is the most cost effective module in its class. This panel is designed to be used as a battery charger when operated in conjunction with a Charge Controller. The use of a Charge Controller (not included) will optimize the panel performance and regulate the voltage of the output for safe battery charging.
This 100 Watt panel is ideal for charging any appliance/machinery including: RVs, Pumps, Gates, Electric Fences, Lighting, Car Batteries and much more.
Features:

100 Watt, 18.5 Vmpp, 5.42 Impp
900mm leads with Male and Female MC4 Connectors
Panel Dimensions: 47.0” tall x 21.1” wide x 1.57” thick
Weight: 17.6 lbs
Warranty Information:
10 year limited warranty on materials and workmanship
25 year warranty on >80% power output and 10 years ≥ 90% power output

I was at Costco yesterday and saw the Zamp Solar 60 Watt Portable Charging System for $268.99.

Kit# ZS-60-P
Watts 60
Amps 3.42
Number of Panels 2 Monocrystalline
Regulator Built In 4-Stage PWM Solar Charge Controller with built in Ambient Temperature Sensor. Works on all styles of 12 volt batteries.
Closed Dimensions 13.75"W x 25.75"L x 3.0"D
Open Dimensions 27.50"W x 25.75"L x 1.5"D
16 Ft. Cable w/ fuse, battery clips with quick disconnect
Adjustable support legs
Weight 20.8 lbs.
Durable Ballistic Nylon Travel/Storage Bag
25 Year power output warranty (solar panel only)

I did not see the 100 watt panels but this kit includes the controller and describes as a "Plug 'n Play" kit. It is not in the Zamp Solar website but they have a 40, 80, 120 and 200 watt portable kits.

Last edited:

rsbones

Very tempting if you have the roof space. Though the 20 year warranty is out the window since Unisolar is apparently bankrupt.

taugust

Adventurer
For those interested, Solar Blvd. is back in stock with 60 and 80 watt panels. The 80's have been in stock since August, so they may be low. The 60's just came up yesterday. Prices are up a few bucks from the lows posted before, but still good deals. I just bought two 80W panels. For reference, I bought a 60W panel from them about a year and a half ago for about $130. They are now $87 plus shipping.

http://www.solarblvd.com/Solar-Panels-&-Systems-Individual-Solar-Panels-55---95-Watt-(7)/c1_25_41/index.html?osCsid=7a3caaaa6180717ab73ff14d4b237038

BroncoHauler

Adventurer
I was at Costco yesterday and saw the Zamp Solar 60 Watt Portable Charging System for $268.99.

Kit# ZS-60-P
Watts 60
Amps 3.42
Number of Panels 2 Monocrystalline
Regulator Built In 4-Stage PWM Solar Charge Controller with built in Ambient Temperature Sensor. Works on all styles of 12 volt batteries.
Closed Dimensions 13.75"W x 25.75"L x 3.0"D
Open Dimensions 27.50"W x 25.75"L x 1.5"D
16 Ft. Cable w/ fuse, battery clips with quick disconnect
Adjustable support legs
Weight 20.8 lbs.
Durable Ballistic Nylon Travel/Storage Bag
25 Year power output warranty (solar panel only)

I did not see the 100 watt panels but this kit includes the controller and describes as a "Plug 'n Play" kit. It is not in the Zamp Solar website but they have a 40, 80, 120 and 200 watt portable kits.

Was this a 'special event' at your local Costco? Did they also have the 80W portable setups at your Costco too? I've been looking at their folding panels for a while now.

Herb

Tacostan

So, would your advice be to not buy panels made from Q-Cells? I am looking for a system to keep my second battery topped off as many others are. Just haven decided what combination, size etc. need to get something soon as the weather is getting nice in the desert! A few dollars one way or the other is not that important, I would rather get a better quality if it only costs a little more. Kyocera and the Grape solar seem to be good as far as I can tell after researching. As far as a controller. I guess a MPPT is not required for a smaller system?

BroncoHauler

Adventurer
Goal Zero event @ Costco, was a big zero

Stopped by my local Costco this afternoon for the first day of their "Portable Solar Power" event, which was an exclusive Goal Zero event.

For all intents, it was just Goal Zero's small panels, small battery pack, lights, and speakers. I was very disappointing in the selection. I did ask the GZ rep if they had any of the Escape 30's. His reply was "what?" I explained what the Escape 30 was, and he replied "Oh, you mean the Nomad." I said "No, I mean the Escape 30." After a pause he said "Yeah, they sell that for $300." Great, but if I wanted to pay MSRP for a Goal Zero product, I wouldn't be going to Costco.

I don't know if this guy was actually a GZ employee traveling from one Costco to the next for each special event, or if he was just some local guy, given 30 minutes of prep time, and hired to be a talking head, but either way they need to be better educated about their products. I hoped for a much better selection of their products too.

Herb

Mel.Specs

Adventurer
Was this a 'special event' at your local Costco? Did they also have the 80W portable setups at your Costco too? I've been looking at their folding panels for a while now.

Herb

It was not a "special event", no vendor or representative present. Just a pallet of the 60W panels in one of the aisles. No other sizes available.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier