FWC with service body

WFOORBUST

I really like the FWC with a truck service body but I'm not sure what is needed to fit one? The last truck I looked at the service body opening was only 48" and FWC said the camper needs 59" to fit? So are all of these set ups in a custom service body? What do you have, pictures and measurements would be awesome.....

Buckshot62

Observer
The only one I have seen that fit properly was custom made in California. IIRC it was about 6000.00 dollars 12 or so years ago. Another option is flatbed with toolboxes. I waited until I found a cheap flatbed (700.00) installed it and waited until I found toolboxes to fit the flatbed (150.00 for both ) Then installed my 86 Fleet. I have 3 goose-neck trailers, so the flatbed/toolboxes set up works great for me. Only problem is lifting the Fleet high enough to put on/take off on my sloped driveway when I need the goose-neck trailer. If the wind is up it greatly enhances the pucker factor.

WFOORBUST

That is the other option that I really like, the flatbed. Might be the easier way to go and still end up with a good amount of storage.

I really like the FWC with a truck service body but I'm not sure what is needed to fit one? The last truck I looked at the service body opening was only 48" and FWC said the camper needs 59" to fit? So are all of these set ups in a custom service body? What do you have, pictures and measurements would be awesome.....

I ran across one on the net where the guy actually modified the service body compartment depth, so that the rear part of the camper that is wider than the wheel wells could fit in the service body. Looked like a lot of work to do.

That is the other option that I really like, the flatbed. Might be the easier way to go and still end up with a good amount of storage.

I'm currently working on this approach. The flatbed is under construction right now. I'm going to have under body boxes, and boxes on top of the bed, to fill in the gap along the side of a camper. Should create lots of storage. The downside to this idea is that campers are built for a "normal" truck bed floor to cab height. A flatbed sits higher than a standard truck bed, so there is going to be a much larger gap above the cab. According to my plan, my flatbed should be 5" higher that the stock bed.

fatkins

Understand FWC will not fit standard service bodies so either modify service body or go with flat bed. Alternatively Phoenix custom, possibly others, make campers to fit service body.20171120_162453.jpg

kerry

Expedition Leader
I had to cut out a part of the service body (a notch in the right rear compartment) to get my Northstar TS1000 to fit. The bathroom part of the TS 1000 sticks out about 4" beyond the 48" width of the rest of the camper. A pretty easy modification. A couple of hours work total. Cut with a grinder, flip the removed piece of metal upside down and backwards then reweld in place. The service body was also too tall to accept the camper so I had to install a false floor for it to sit on. It was either 6 or 8" too tall. I used 2x6's with plywood on top. It's been there for 10 yrs and is working fine. Did it all with a $15 HF angle grinder and a $99 HF welder. Welds aren't pretty but they are still holding.

WFOORBUST

The more I'm looking and reading I think a flatbed is the way to go. I have the tools and ability to modify a service body but I'm not sure I want to put that much time into the project. Building a flatbed would be much faster for sure. Keep the info coming....

kerry

Expedition Leader
Total time to modify my service body was a couple of days including the thinking and planning.

bloodyWEST

Adventurer
I ran a skamper and a “Skaug” brand bed. Skaug builds all their beds at 51” and that fit fine.
bc47e8da854216e513ea1f3cb23f2a71.jpg
dcb3292d58bf362cb67dc96e681ce9d4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BajaSurfRig

@bloodyWEST thanks for the info on the Skaug utility beds! I have been trying to find a bed for my new to me F350 and pop top camper at some point. How did you like the skamper? Has it held up well jamming on dirt roads?

bloodyWEST

Adventurer
@bloodyWEST thanks for the info on the Skaug utility beds! I have been trying to find a bed for my new to me F350 and pop top camper at some point. How did you like the skamper? Has it held up well jamming on dirt roads?

I didn’t run it long enough to find out. For the price i paid for it used its holding up Decent. I was more worried about the damage to my truck trying to bomb around at 10,000#s.

I ultimately decided it was too heavy and tall for the type of wheeling I like to do, so I switched to an RTT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94