FWC Opinions wanted

burke

Observer
Greetings,
I am getting close to pull the trigger on a fwc raven for my 2016 crewmax tundra. I have wanted a fwc since I was about 12 when a friend of my dad showed up with one when we were on a buffalo hunt in the Henry’s.

Anywho, The plan is the raven model with: forced air furnace, fantastic vent fan, and the outdoor shower. I Really want any fwc owners input on features or addition they wish they would have bought. Or items/add ons that they wish they wouldn’t have.

Any input very much appreciated

TIA

knoxswift

Solar is well worth it. 2 batteries was overkill.

I use my awning often.

I should have gotten the 2 fan option because I am in desert often.

Does the shower give you hot water? I love the hot water heater too...

DC fridge sucks get at least AC-DC or 3 way.

Last edited:

burke

Observer
Solar is well worth it. 2 batteries was overkill.

I use my awning often.

I should have gotten the 2 fan option because I am in desert often.

Does the shower give you hot water? I love the hot water heater too...

DC fridge sucks get at least AC-DC or 3 way.

Yes, shower setup provides hot water and a separate 6 gallon water tank I believe. Thanks for the input

JCatt

My Hawk is fairly well optioned, but would really like to have roof racks/wall steps and an awning. The option for extra storage on the roof would be great. Maxtrax, shovel, kayaks etc. could go up there. The awning for shade obviously and to help create an outdoor living space. I don't have solar but that would be nice too.

moveinon

Certainly need air bags or springs and E rated tires on your truck. I use solar on every trip you will need it for heater, refrigerator (if you use one), vent fans, and recharging. Roof rack is necessary for most solar. Backup lights are great to have for getting into camp late, but if you are handy you can put them on cheaper than the factory cost and same with solar.

fireball

Explorer
What does your build look like?

The raven is tight but we love our FWC Hawk so hopefully you can make it work.

StagNW

Burke - i second Fireball’s request for a build sheet. I too have a Crewmax and have been lurking for a while now.

burke

Observer
So I am keeping the raven pretty simple: furnace, vent fan, hot water exterior shower.

My tundra i pretty much stock other than the TRD grille, I will be adding airbags prior to pick up. Hopeful to take the fwc to goblin valley for thanksgiving.

Super excited for the camper.

Cayuse

Observer
I rarely (almost never) plug in. For me 200W solar and 2 batteries is perfect. DC fridge is great, wish I had gone with a larger fridge, 60 litres is nice but it's pretty easy to fill. Second fan would be nice to have, I'll be adding my own sometime soon, probably a Max Air that can be run in the rain.

Trikebubble

Adventurer
So I am keeping the raven pretty simple: furnace, vent fan, hot water exterior shower.

My tundra i pretty much stock other than the TRD grille, I will be adding airbags prior to pick up. Hopeful to take the fwc to goblin valley for thanksgiving.

Super excited for the camper.

Congratulaions, you'll love your FWC. I'd suggest looking at adding the OME Dakar leaf packs to the back as well. The air bags will support the weight, but the Dakar leaf springs do a very competent job of dealing with the added weight as well. Personally, I like having the Dakar leaf packs to deal with the primary load bearing job, and having the airbags to supplement the load, and give me the ability to change airbag pressure fr varying loads. I did not want ot run into an issue where I rely solely on my airbags and I have a failure and have to limp home. If you are adding airbags, and plan on any off-roading, then the Daystar airbag cradles are a good idea (really, they should be mandatory). They allow for rear articulation without the possibility of ripping an airbag in half.
One thing you will not have to worry about is power with your Tundra. Enjoy.

PS. Forgot to mention, I found the TRD Pro grille easily added 25hp.. Guaranteed. Ha.

burke

Observer
Congratulaions, you'll love your FWC. I'd suggest looking at adding the OME Dakar leaf packs to the back as well. The air bags will support the weight, but the Dakar leaf springs do a very competent job of dealing with the added weight as well. Personally, I like having the Dakar leaf packs to deal with the primary load bearing job, and having the airbags to supplement the load, and give me the ability to change airbag pressure fr varying loads. I did not want ot run into an issue where I rely solely on my airbags and I have a failure and have to limp home. If you are adding airbags, and plan on any off-roading, then the Daystar airbag cradles are a good idea (really, they should be mandatory). They allow for rear articulation without the possibility of ripping an airbag in half.

PS. Forgot to mention, I found the TRD Pro grille easily added 25hp.. Guaranteed. Ha.

Yes the grille like the trd stickers add a min 25 hp.

Can you get OME springs with no lift? I have a built cj and have no desire to lift my tundra.

Trikebubble

Adventurer

Yes the grille like the trd stickers add a min 25 hp.

Can you get OME springs with no lift? I have a built cj and have no desire to lift my tundra.
The OME leaf packs will raise the rear a couple inches. With the camper loaded and on, it will settle down some.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles