FWC; major design changes, issues, and value?

Ov

Overland Explorer.

And how many of those have actually been made? I'm guessing less than 10? Not a lot of competition there. If they can start producing more units and keep the cost down then yes.

What else? Hallmark? Palomino? Wasn't there a GZL camper thing?

Kevin

Rando

Explorer
I have a FWC Fleet Flatbed and while I am happy with it, I would agree that there are things that could be done better. But, there HAVE been incremental updates over the years that have served them well. Their flatbed campers were essentially a market first in the US, and now several other manufacturers are following along. They have updated the interior finishes over time - I too felt that the fake wood and bear themed cushions looked like a 1970's tract ranch house, but the new silver spur interior is far more modern (even Ikea ish) and durable, similarly with the exterior finishes. However you will notice that they still sell the fake wood, bear print cushions and white corrugated siding, because apparently that is what many of their customers want.

On a technical note, they have also updated the infrastructure over time - going to PEX plumbing a number of years ago and now manifold based modular plumbing, from Dometic fridges to the more efficient Isotherm, from Zamp PWM solar to (unfortunately) the Overland solar branded Victron MPPT controllers, adopting LED lighting all around etc. Given their price point, I am guessing a lithium upgrade will be available soon. I really wish they would get rid of the junky Atwood furnace/water heater and switch to the Truma Combi, but maybe they will in the future.

Yes they could make the bodies out of a foam core composite, but when your entire manufacturing knowledge base is centered on welded Aluminum, there would have to be a VERY strong motivation to make the switch. I also wouldn't want to buy their first few years of foam core camper as it takes several years to work out the bugs. Without competition to push them to make drastic changes, there isn't much reason to make these changes. Currently there really isn't that competition.

kodiak-black

Observer
I have a FWC Fleet Flatbed and while I am happy with it, I would agree that there are things that could be done better. But, there HAVE been incremental updates over the years that have served them well. Their flatbed campers were essentially a market first in the US, and now several other manufacturers are following along. They have updated the interior finishes over time - I too felt that the fake wood and bear themed cushions looked like a 1970's tract ranch house, but the new silver spur interior is far more modern (even Ikea ish) and durable, similarly with the exterior finishes. However you will notice that they still sell the fake wood, bear print cushions and white corrugated siding, because apparently that is what many of their customers want.

On a technical note, they have also updated the infrastructure over time - going to PEX plumbing a number of years ago and now manifold based modular plumbing, from Dometic fridges to the more efficient Isotherm, from Zamp PWM solar to (unfortunately) the Overland solar branded Victron MPPT controllers, adopting LED lighting all around etc. Given their price point, I am guessing a lithium upgrade will be available soon. I really wish they would get rid of the junky Atwood furnace/water heater and switch to the Truma Combi, but maybe they will in the future.

Yes they could make the bodies out of a foam core composite, but when your entire manufacturing knowledge base is centered on welded Aluminum, there would have to be a VERY strong motivation to make the switch. I also wouldn't want to buy their first few years of foam core camper as it takes several years to work out the bugs. Without competition to push them to make drastic changes, there isn't much reason to make these changes. Currently there really isn't that competition.

An excellent and honest evaluation from an owner. This is precisely my point. Most shortcomings of a FWC are outlined best by those people who already own a four wheel camper. They just don't happen to be blinded by bias or misplaced devotion to a camper themed in a "1970's tract ranch house" (to use your description). They own an FWC and so their opinion apparently is more valid.

I don't have to own one to have an opinion on whether I would buy one. I can read about the shortcomings outlined by current owners and arrive at my own conclusion. I'm not here to prove my opinion or disprove yours.

Some people are taking this WAY too personally. They want me to demonstrate who the competition is... and at what price point... and how many units have they produced, blah, blah, blah, yada , yada, yada...

Let me be abundantly clear. I like FWC and what they have been able to offer. I do not own one or plan to own one of their current offerings. I don't think it is bad if you like them exactly the way they are. For me, it's a dated look, but that's me.

Clearly there are some philosophical differences at work here. I appreciate the efforts of some of the new and exciting designs coming out and hope to see more competition. That's not because I don't like FWC. It is because I think competition is good.

The title of this thread is: FWC; major design changes, issues, and value?

I didn't start the thread, this is a public forum, I offered my opinion, my thoughts, etc. on the subject. That's it. If you own a FWC, congratulations! No offense meant. I hope it proves to be the best purchase you have ever made, etc., etc.

Peace.

danneskjold

Ive been living out of a FWC Grandby Shell for the last couple months and my biggest complaint about the FWC is in regards to their electrical wiring which I know hasn’t changed much.

Poorly crimped connectors, weird/excessive connections, too small wire, etc and now they are using overpriced solar panels.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles