FWC; major design changes, issues, and value?

eblau

Adventurer
That article reads like a private equity firm took over at FWC... I read the entire thing looking for terms like "synergy"

Clutch

<---Pass
. Would it be attractive or acceptable if the car you bought looked the same, had the same features, and shared the same design as the identical vehicle from 13 years ago?? For most, I doubt it. This exact philosophy does prevail however IF there's no direct competition and to that point FWC has enjoyed brand success.

Man! If I could a brand new 20 year old Toyota Tacoma I would be tickled pink!

Conifer

That article reads like a private equity firm took over at FWC... I read the entire thing looking for terms like "synergy"
I'm not sure if you missed it, but that's exactly what happened. FWC was bought out by Salt Creek Capitol, and it's mentioned in that article.

Clutch

<---Pass
Would you buy it for the price of a 2018 Tacoma? That's the catch. Perhaps you would. It was a good truck.
Considering inflation, yep sure would. Which if you think about it what was an option on my 19 year old 1st Gen SR5 TRD, is now standard on a base model SR. The cost really isn’t that bad. Up until last year when they still offered a manual trans. You could get a SR 4WD access cab for $25K, my SR5 TRD listed for $22K 19 years ago.

The only real difference between my TRD and a brand new SR is a rear locker and crappy Bilstein suspension.

In all reality, Toyota hasn't changed the Tacoma much...now only if they would shrink it back down mini truck size and toss back in a manual trans/t-case. Yep...would certainly buy a 20 year old designed brand new truck.

Last edited:

eblau

Adventurer
Yes, I did miss that.

So long FWC!

I'm sure Salt Creek Capital's experience with their other companies like "safe in sound hearing" (hearing aids), "pacific paper" (paper) and "aquamar holdings" (crab flavored seafood) will help them elevate their product to new heights!

I'm not sure if you missed it, but that's exactly what happened. FWC was bought out by Salt Creek Capitol, and it's mentioned in that article.

Last edited:

craig333

Expedition Leader
They're in Woodland not Sacramento. Must be sumtin wrong with all those people on the waiting list for a camper.

kodiak-black

Observer
They're in Woodland not Sacramento. Must be sumtin wrong with all those people on the waiting list for a camper.

Ya...Woodland is 20 minutes away from Sacramento, but thanks for the clarification. Sacramento is a more recognizable location than Woodland, Ca.

As for people waiting for a camper. FWC and ATC (and let's be honest they are basically the SAME!) are pretty much the only game in town for an off-road minded, outfitted, pop up truck camper. Being the only game on town has it's privileges and people will buy what's available IF that is all that is available.

If you're the only person selling water in the desert, people are going to wait in line.

sg1

Adventurer
There are more choices: Hallmark, Earthcruiser Gazelle, Phoenix and Overland Explorer. All use a modern design and materials and all are at least as durable as Fourwheelcamper. I had FWC and now have Overland Explorer. What a difference.

craig333

Expedition Leader
I'm curious to see if those new campers will have the resale value of an FWC/ATC in twenty years.

kodiak-black

Observer
There are more choices: Hallmark, Earthcruiser Gazelle, Phoenix and Overland Explorer. All use a modern design and materials and all are at least as durable as Fourwheelcamper. I had FWC and now have Overland Explorer. What a difference.

Do you have the Overland Explorer truck camper, the Camp X? Saw one at the show. Very impressive set up.

JCatt

While the exterior of a FWC may look similar over many years the materials and components seem to be upgraded/changed as time moves on. They also offer a smooth fiberglass siding if you don't like the traditional look.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles