FWC for full time living on road?

Kolockum

Adventure Nut
You guys are definitely having me re think the FWC Lol.

FWC/ATC campers are really good and if you could score one cheap go for it. Having the extra interior space to cook in and a furnace is really nice especially during cold/wet winters.

Also in this environment with a lot of homeless living out of campers you will have increased scrutiny with a camper. Even before the current events I was staying at in friends house with my truck and camper parked on the street. About 2 am I woke up to security banging on my camper thinking there was somebody inside. I think it will be worse now.

WeLikeCamping

Explorer
FWIW, here are my thoughts. I started life tent/ground camping. I've had a slide-in camper with the wife and two kids. As the kids got older, the camper got really small and so we reverted to tent camping. Thing is, with tent camping, now it is often just the wife and I, yet we are still looking at two hours of setup/breakdown, then there is dealing with the weather. The slide-in was a beast, a Lance 9.5 and I hated it. What it brought in convenience and security was subtracted by windage, weight and sway. And again, it got too small.

So, the wife and I have debated this for years, trying to figure out the best balance of comfort, access and security when getting out. Our primary concern is being able to access back-country while still having a comfortable, well-appointed place to stay that requires minimal setup/takedown. I've looked at overland vehicles and the prices are out of my range - heck, I lose sleep, just worrying about upkeep costs for those vehicles. Class A/C, same issues, but not as able to access back country. We keep coming back to trailers. Everything is already setup. I can find a campsite in the forest, park, level it and I'm home. When I want to go exploring, I unhitch and drive the 4wd truck anywhere I want to visit. When I'm ready to move, I hitch up, raise the landing pads, put the chocks and blocks away, make sure the inside is organized and I'm on the road to the next spot.

The big manufacturers seem to be answering the call of the off-roader that wants to drag the camper along. You can get a shorter model without sacrificing much, that is off-road capable. Sure, it's gonna keep you off the tight spots, shelf roads and other extreme places, but you can get into most any campground if you are under 20 feet or so, and you can get far enough in the backcountry to be alone. I've got a 25' toyhauler, and I will take it most anyplace that lacks people. When I do extended/long-range road-trips, the ease of setup and takedown makes a huge difference between having to work harder or having a nice glass of Bulleit on the rocks - after a day of driving.

Oh yeah, and YMMV.

jreddy

If I were in your shoes, I would probably just get an old Econoline van. It will be much cheaper than a FWC, and it will have a lot more space. So much space that you won't really have to "build" out much for the interior.

- Throw down some carpet
- put a lofted bed frame in the back ()
- use one of those foot-pump operated plastic sinks that they use for handwashing at outdoor festivals ()
- slap a flexible Renogy panel on the roof
- get some good AT tires
- Chinese-made 12v fridge off of Amazon
- Add insulation (you'll end up adding more on the road as you realize what a difference it makes)
- roof rack and awning if you want

You can easily get something like this together for under 20k, and you'll get a solid chunk of that back when you sell it after a year. You'll have significant indoor space, and you'll be able to stealth camp. You won't have the same off-road capabilities, but ask yourself how far off the beaten path you're really going to go. A van with AT tires will handle almost any forest service road in the U.S. If you really want to scratch a backcountry itch, then take a backpack and hike for a few days (or bikepack with a mountain bike, if that's your speed).

Alternatively, if you're sticking with the truck, I would absolutely get a large tent as well (either an EZ-Up style with a tent enclosure or something like the Nemo Wagontop). It's a bit of a hassle to set those up, but if you're living on the road indefinitely, you'll find that you end up sticking around places you like for some longer stretches. Even if you sleep in the truck, you can have a really nice living room that packs super small and is ready with about 5-10 minutes of setup time. It's a game changer.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
We keep coming back to trailers. Everything is already setup. I can find a campsite in the forest, park, level it and I'm home. When I want to go exploring, I unhitch and drive the 4wd truck anywhere I want to visit. When I'm ready to move, I hitch up, raise the landing pads, put the chocks and blocks away, make sure the inside is organized and I'm on the road to the next spot.

The big manufacturers seem to be answering the call of the off-roader that wants to drag the camper along. You can get a shorter model without sacrificing much, that is off-road capable. Sure, it's gonna keep you off the tight spots, shelf roads and other extreme places, but you can get into most any campground if you are under 20 feet or so, and you can get far enough in the backcountry to be alone. I've got a 25' toyhauler, and I will take it most anyplace that lacks people. When I do extended/long-range road-trips, the ease of setup and takedown makes a huge difference between having to work harder or having a nice glass of Bulleit on the rocks - after a day of driving.

Oh yeah, and YMMV.
That's what I was going to suggest.

If I were in your shoes, I would probably just get an old Econoline van. It will be much cheaper than a FWC, and it will have a lot more space. So much space that you won't really have to "build" out much for the interior.

- Throw down some carpet
- put a lofted bed frame in the back ()
- use one of those foot-pump operated plastic sinks that they use for handwashing at outdoor festivals ()
- slap a flexible Renogy panel on the roof
- get some good AT tires
- Chinese-made 12v fridge off of Amazon
- Add insulation (you'll end up adding more on the road as you realize what a difference it makes)
- roof rack and awning if you want

You can easily get something like this together for under 20k, and you'll get a solid chunk of that back when you sell it after a year. You'll have significant indoor space, and you'll be able to stealth camp. You won't have the same off-road capabilities, but ask yourself how far off the beaten path you're really going to go. A van with AT tires will handle almost any forest service road in the U.S. If you really want to scratch a backcountry itch, then take a backpack and hike for a few days (or bikepack with a mountain bike, if that's your speed).

Alternatively, if you're sticking with the truck, I would absolutely get a large tent as well (either an EZ-Up style with a tent enclosure or something like the Nemo Wagontop). It's a bit of a hassle to set those up, but if you're living on the road indefinitely, you'll find that you end up sticking around places you like for some longer stretches. Even if you sleep in the truck, you can have a really nice living room that packs super small and is ready with about 5-10 minutes of setup time. It's a game changer.

As much as I love vans, I have pulled out more 2WD vans that are stuck and can't make it up steep sections of forest service roads than any other type of vehicle.

Vst

Honestly thinking of going with an aluminum 36“ contractor topper now and building it out definitely would be a lot cheaper to get me started. Can always upgrade or move up later depending on how things are going

Honestly thinking of going with an aluminum 36“ contractor topper now and building it out definitely would be a lot cheaper to get me started. Can always upgrade or move up later depending on how things are going
This guy also has some good ideas ,Post # 6005

sixlxvi

Yut-Rah
Hey guys so I’m debating on taking at least a year off from work and traveling. It will be a mixture of some normal travel to see a bunch of the national parks and overlanding and being off grid. I’m not looking to full time forever but just to explore and hopefully be able to find a place that I really love and settle in. The camper will be going on my 2018 Toyota Tacoma access cab with the 6’ bed. I’ve looked at a few different camper options like the Alu-cab and go fast but I’m thinking it will be nice to have more room with a FWC has for being full time. My question is would you guys go with a FWC with all the systems in place or a shell option and build out how you want. How is the quality of the heater, water system, fridge and stuff like that? I know I would upgrade the battery and solar right away to lithium. Budget is a concern I priced out a fleet with everything I would want and it would be about $26k and I believe the shell model would come out around $15k then would need to be built out. I’ve looked at the overlandx campers and couldn’t do almost $40K the built out FWC would be close to my max. So just really looking for some insight. Thanks
I’m full-time living in my FWC/Tacoma with my wife and two dogs. We opted for a shell so we could DIY the interior to make the most of it. If you’re still considering a FWC, I can answer questions tomorrow if you need.

24EBA689-A232-40AA-BD75-548BA6F65C1F.jpeg421BF47C-C25B-4F9E-8D20-E0656F7C7D2B.jpeg

Attachments

• BBBCE597-32A4-4DF8-BE60-B9399F582084.jpeg
    BBBCE597-32A4-4DF8-BE60-B9399F582084.jpeg
    139.8 KB · Views: 82
  • FCFC4D3A-F8AF-4354-AE5B-8F3E75C135F9.jpeg
    FCFC4D3A-F8AF-4354-AE5B-8F3E75C135F9.jpeg
    113.6 KB · Views: 82
  • 7633F00A-3262-4061-B4A7-22E2DA7D4872.jpeg
    7633F00A-3262-4061-B4A7-22E2DA7D4872.jpeg
    99.1 KB · Views: 82

Mickey Bitsko

Adventurer
Vst. From your first post you have not mentioned your budget.
For the highly inflated value of tacomas your options for a used
Truck camper combos are many on CL.
It's baffling the amounts of money people are willing to put into these small trucks
To make them ' off road worthy ' then have to count every pound so as not to be over gvw and damage the integrity of the vehicle.
I Speak from experience and observation.
If dollars are a concern , tacomas are not a value .

Vst

Heys guys so I finally was able to pick up a used four wheel camper shell model. The last owner was a retired boat builder and completely rebuilt the entire camper it’s a 94 he said ranger model but it maybe an eagle from the size. The camper isn’t as wide as a fleet which I like my fenders are still the widest part of the truck. I need some ideas on a kitchen build out and recommendations on up right fridges but here’s some pics.

Attachments

• FC50F316-0580-45CA-830F-CE39E145633E.png
    FC50F316-0580-45CA-830F-CE39E145633E.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 59
  • B81B6B25-A7B0-49CB-B126-D7CC55213E76.png
    B81B6B25-A7B0-49CB-B126-D7CC55213E76.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 55
  • FC43B80F-899A-43F3-86DB-95FFD5F567A8.png
    FC43B80F-899A-43F3-86DB-95FFD5F567A8.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 56

Vst

Nice find. Did you get hit with the COVID tax? pics of inside!
Thanks! I got it for $8000 so I think I got a pretty good deal on it considering how hard they are to find and prices of them right now. It is completely redone so inside and out looks great. I don’t have interior pics yet but I made a quick little video on Instagram of the inside you can check it out @vehiclesupportedtravel

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior