FWC for full time living on road?

Vst

Hey guys so I’m debating on taking at least a year off from work and traveling. It will be a mixture of some normal travel to see a bunch of the national parks and overlanding and being off grid. I’m not looking to full time forever but just to explore and hopefully be able to find a place that I really love and settle in. The camper will be going on my 2018 Toyota Tacoma access cab with the 6’ bed. I’ve looked at a few different camper options like the Alu-cab and go fast but I’m thinking it will be nice to have more room with a FWC has for being full time. My question is would you guys go with a FWC with all the systems in place or a shell option and build out how you want. How is the quality of the heater, water system, fridge and stuff like that? I know I would upgrade the battery and solar right away to lithium. Budget is a concern I priced out a fleet with everything I would want and it would be about $26k and I believe the shell model would come out around $15k then would need to be built out. I’ve looked at the overlandx campers and couldn’t do almost $40K the built out FWC would be close to my max. So just really looking for some insight. Thanks

workerdrone

Part time fulltimer
If budget is a concern I'd consider just making sure your Tacoma is totally sorted, throw a topper on it if it doesn't have one, and sleep under the topper or in a tent.

Easy to get carried away with all the cool overland tech and camper amenities and things but the travel is the point and this keeps you really flexible and with the biggest travel budget - you can stealth camp in urban areas if you can sleep under the cap, even have a flexible solar panel to run a fridge and gadgets and such while remaining stealth...

Vst

That is my current setup but it wouldn’t be practical for full time. I use it now for one or two nighters but that’s all I would probably go with that setup. Budget is a concern as far as the camper price goes. I have suspension and wheel and tire setup sorted for now. If I did go with the camper I would just swap in some new leaf packs.3FFCB3C4-CEA8-46F7-A441-FF9900FE60F7.jpeg7FF42AA1-811D-4522-B553-4AA63C8B97BC.jpeg

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
A FWC on a Tacoma for full-timing is technically doable, but is going to be hard on the budget. You see lots of Tacomas with FWCs, but none of them are running stock suspension - unless you keep to a stripped shell, you're going to be over the Tacoma's payload. So, it becomes a project with money to be spent at every stage.

I would check out https://www.boundfornowhere.com/ . They currently fulltime in a (larger) FWC, but did a almost year all along the Atlantic coast in a Tacoma with a shell on the back. On their youtube channel they've frequently discussed the good/bad of a small/simple/inexpensive rig like that. Their major downside is it's a crappy place to ride out the weather, and it was hard for them to work (since they are working while full-timing), hence the shift to a bigger/more expensive rig.

Is there a reason you don't want to tow a small trailer? You could definitely live in a fwc in a taco, just depends on your lifestyle. But a small trailer would be a lot more comfortable. Maybe a small hard-sided popup, with a lift and bigger tires so you can take it off road. Or build one.

Or even a built out inclosed cargo trailer. Ive seen some guys do that, then live in them for months at a time during hunting seasons, in deep snow, and blazing heat. Just another option.

beef tits

The shell models are just fine as they are. No reason to build them out. Get a "little buddy" heater, 20 lb propane tank, fold-up table, 5 gallon bucket to crap in, and a storage tub kitchen. You already have a power block. That's all I ever rocked in mine. Slept in that thing on some single digit nights and was just fine.

The more crap you build into it, the less versatile the space will be. Your tiny truck will only fit a tiny camper and you will want that tiny space to be versatile.

The hard part will be finding a FWC shell for sale right now. They're a hot commodity. If it were me I'd clear your bedspace for gear, throw a decent RTT on it and call it good.

Last edited:

Vst

Is there a reason you don't want to tow a small trailer? You could definitely live in a fwc in a taco, just depends on your lifestyle. But a small trailer would be a lot more comfortable. Maybe a small hard-sided popup, with a lift and bigger tires so you can take it off road. Or build one.
The problem with an off road trailer is there is no room usually to stand. And I wouldn’t want to get stuck going down a wrong trail with a camper behind me just becomes a mission if you have try and turn them around on a trail. And I’m just going based on the trails around me I live on the east coast and all the trails are tight around here

rruff

Explorer
That is my current setup but it wouldn’t be practical for full time.

Different strokes for sure. I lived in a smaller Toyota with a shell like that for 3 years before I "upgraded". Had two bikes inside also. If you manage the space properly you can store a lot. It's easy to camp out where the weather is good all year in the western US. I preferred to sleep on the ground in the open most of the time, but there was space for it in the camper too.

You'll be waiting 14 months + for FWC I think.

I do recommend for optimal luxury to have a tall enough shell where you can comfortably sit up straight. If you want something a little bigger you can build a shell for cheap (relatively). Thin plywood, foam core sandwich and cover the exterior in fiberglass.

Understood, towing in tight spaces is a different challenge. I do agree with the idea that a 4wc shell doesnt need much outfitting, in fact the more stuff in removable bins the better, so you can adapt to circumstances and change/move things as needed.
what about using the shell you have, but cutting a whole in the top and building a pop-up or flip-pac style upper section? Im always partial to building my own stuff, But understand thats not everyones cup of tea.

Vst

Different strokes for sure. I lived in a smaller Toyota with a shell like that for 3 years before I "upgraded". Had two bikes inside also. If you manage the space properly you can store a lot. It's easy to camp out where the weather is good all year in the western US. I preferred to sleep on the ground in the open most of the time, but there was space for it in the camper too.

You'll be waiting 14 months + for FWC I think.

I do recommend for optimal luxury to have a tall enough shell where you can comfortably sit up straight. If you want something a little bigger you can build a shell for cheap (relatively). Thin plywood, foam core sandwich and cover the exterior in fiberglass.
Hats off to you not sure I could go that long in the shell lol. And yeah I agree on being able to at least sit up comfortably which I can’t to do with my current setup i would need to buy a taller shell.

Vst

Understood, towing in tight spaces is a different challenge. I do agree with the idea that a 4wc shell doesnt need much outfitting, in fact the more stuff in removable bins the better, so you can adapt to circumstances and change/move things as needed.
what about using the shell you have, but cutting a whole in the top and building a pop-up or flip-pac style upper section? Im always partial to building my own stuff, But understand thats not everyones cup of tea.
What I’m liking about the shell is I could just add what I need along the way. I would probably only add the roll over couch they have as an option just so if I did need to stealth camp I could just roll the couch into a single bed and sleep with out having to pop the top if needed

tacollie

Glamper
On a Tacoma I would go for a Flippac, At habitat, or ovrlnd. Get something you can stand up in but it's still light. Keep it light and build a basic interior.

We love our FWC. When we walked through the showroom and we decided they are best on a full size truck. Just my opinion

rruff

Explorer
Hats off to you not sure I could go that long in the shell lol. And yeah I agree on being able to at least sit up comfortably which I can’t to do with my current setup i would need to buy a taller shell.

One fairly simple way to make the shell taller is to make an extension that mounts on top of the bed rails. Could use wood, just make sure it's sealed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior