FWC Fleet on Full Size pick up..Real world pics or opinions

Skinhyfish

Observer
My lady and I have a 2016 Fleet and love it, it is on our 2002 tundra. We have enjoyed the fleet and looking into another truck for more power and towing a trailer at the same time. Little tundra is a great truck, just lacking the mountain power we need. My long term goal is to build a flatbed with tool boxes on top and camper slid in between. More storage for our needs. Before we build a flatbed, we will probably have it stock full size truck bed. Is any one running a fleet on a full size truck? and we are curious how it looks. We do not want to switch to a Hawk at this time because of our future build plan. Any one have photos of a fleet on a fullsize pick up? love to see how it would look.
thanks Zach and Beth

PS first gen tundra is for sale. 2002 with 54,000 miles. 2 in lift with bags for camper. brand new goodyear 265/75/16 with full size spare truck is in mint

Skinhyfish

Observer
ddmfKXZ.jpg

GoinBoardin

Observer
I've got an old Fleet on my shortbox flatbed F150. The Fleet was converted to a flatbed, but the toolbox setup would be cool too. Camper is 90" long and flatbed has 88.5" usable length, so it hangs off the back a little. The camper is very close to the cab width. I'm a fan of having the lighter Fleet on a full size; doesn't feel like I'm pushing limits at all, off road or on. Substitute in a modern full size and it could really be a capable setup.
20171008_131738.jpg

20171008_131449.jpg

Shradicalwyo

Adventurer
I've got an old Fleet on my shortbox flatbed F150. The Fleet was converted to a flatbed, but the toolbox setup would be cool too. Camper is 90" long and flatbed has 88.5" usable length, so it hangs off the back a little. The camper is very close to the cab width. I'm a fan of having the lighter Fleet on a full size; doesn't feel like I'm pushing limits at all, off road or on. Substitute in a modern full size and it could really be a capable setup.
View attachment 435217

View attachment 435218

I've been thinking about doing a setup like this as well, because as great as my Tundra is, I'm starting to think I'll want a full size truck in the near future.

also, Laramie plates! I grew up and went to college there, my entire family is still around the area.

jeromehdmc

Not a Fleet but I have an Eagle on my Quad Cab Dodge. I had to make a platform for it to sit on so the sides would clear the bed and it would clear the cab too. colorado Dixie & I June 2016 001.jpgphone pictures June 097.jpg

Skinhyfish

Observer
BTW thanks to Stan at 4wheel. He helped me out with a video and some dimensions to make my platform.

You have any pics from the rear? I thinking the narrow floor means deeper tool boxes along side .. why I think fleet will have advantage over hawk in outside storag.. long term is flat bed, but just wanted to see rear with
Regular bed

Mickey Bitsko

Adventurer
Not to be snarky, these posters are doing it righ,
Putting light weight campers on full size trucks.. not overly concerned with weight, extra HD springs and all the stuff it takes to make a little into a little bigger truck.
Very good job fellow campers.

Mickey

jeromehdmc

Here's all I could find of the back, neither one shows it very good. I will have it loaded up in a couple weeks, if you still need pics I can take whatever you need. There is less room than with a Hawk but I don't need much, I'm outside except to cook and sleep. I really like the smaller profile, when in tight places if my mirrors fit then the camper will fit. Less weight, I do have airbags because my other camper was heavier. I can use my side mirrors, couldn't with a wider camper. I use the space between the camper and bedside as storage. I got a used 5th wheel tailgate as a "porch", could have used my stock tailgate but it is bent a little it hits the bumper and rubbed the paint. You already have the Fleet and like it, no need to go to a larger camper if you don't have to.

Moab dirtbike 2017 060.jpg
colorado Dixie & I June 2016 018 copy.jpg

Last edited:

Skinhyfish

Observer
Here's all I could find of the back, neither one shows it very good. I will have it loaded up in a couple weeks, if you still need pics I can take whatever you need. There is less room than with a Hawk but I don't need much, I'm outside except to cook and sleep. I really like the smaller profile, when in tight places if my mirrors fit then the camper will fit. Less weight, I do have airbags because my other camper was heavier. I can use my side mirrors, couldn't with a wider camper. I use the space between the camper and bedside as storage. I got a used 5th wheel tailgate as a "porch", could have used my stock tailgate but it is bent a little it hits the bumper and rubbed the paint. You already have the Fleet and like it, no need to go to a larger camper if you don't have to.

View attachment 439934
View attachment 439935

No I agree on the lower profile, We have the fleet, already customized interior.. Plus its paid for even better:) Thanks for the pics, when flatbed tool box combo is finished, it will be a practical rig for our camping needs on the river

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles