Fuso won't start or run.

ajamesr

Glad to help and great that it is going. Now is the smoke gone or are we still at stage one.

Dan.
Unfortunately it still seems to be smoking when I Rev it up past 2000 rmp. I really thought rebuilding the injector pump would have fixed that problem.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
In a fuel system there numerous components involved.
If you cannot resolve the issue yourself, maybe you can seek advice from someone else.
As has been mentioned previously, any good diesel mechanic should be able to diagnose why the engine is not running properly.
If you go down that route, print out and take the relevant pages of the manual that Dan supplied, as that will give the mechanic the required technical information they would need.

ajamesr

So another update, and plea for help: it starts and runs great BUT it smokes like crazy when I Rev it up, just like before I had the injection pump rebuilt. So I guess the injector pump was never the problem. When it gets to the RPM to smoke it also stumbles like a poorly tuned motor, in fact if I can push past that stumble to a higher RPM, the smoke almost stops.

I have adjusted the valve clearance and it made no difference, it has a new air filter and fuel filter, and obviously a rebuilt IP. what else could cause this? I'll call repair shops on Monday but in the meantime I would like to try to fix it. Maybe fine tuning the timing? If so I have a question about that:

The injector pump has 4 bolts that I can loosen and little marks on the side to adjust the timing. Sounds easy, except all the fuel lines are hard metal and don't allow any movement at all of the pump. Has anyone come up with a solution to this?

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
I know little to nothing about these specific engines, other than what I have seen written over the years on forums like this one, but I think the answer is in your response.
it also stumbles like a poorly tuned motor

I am sure that Dan would have some words of wisdom here, as he obviously has first hand experience with this generation of engine.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Similarly, my diesel knowledge is general and all with different engines, but…

What color is the smoke?
What does it smell like?
Is it under load and running free, or just one of the two?
Internet diagnosis is rarely worth what you pay, but guessing games are fun:

I would guess that the injection timing isn’t advancing enough to keep up with the fuel as you go through that RPM, or one or more of your valve springs is weak and isn’t holding seal.

There are, IIRC, mechanical diesel timing light type tools out there that can detect the pressure pulse in a fuel line and help you set the timing. Not sure of the cost, or if you could find a spec for the timing advance.

Aussie Iron

Explorer
So another update, and plea for help: it starts and runs great BUT it smokes like crazy when I Rev it up, just like before I had the injection pump rebuilt. So I guess the injector pump was never the problem. When it gets to the RPM to smoke it also stumbles like a poorly tuned motor, in fact if I can push past that stumble to a higher RPM, the smoke almost stops.

I have adjusted the valve clearance and it made no difference, it has a new air filter and fuel filter, and obviously a rebuilt IP. what else could cause this? I'll call repair shops on Monday but in the meantime I would like to try to fix it. Maybe fine tuning the timing? If so I have a question about that:

The injector pump has 4 bolts that I can loosen and little marks on the side to adjust the timing. Sounds easy, except all the fuel lines are hard metal and don't allow any movement at all of the pump. Has anyone come up with a solution to this?

Yes, from my end we are back to guessing (well not really). Injector pump is done - injectors are next as it all fits together and has to be right as one effects the other. If your injectors are leaking (which they can) fuel will be forced into the cylinder at the wrong time and not burning properly. Leaking injectors also effect timing.

As far as moving the pump to set the timing. Yep, loosen the bolts and lever the pump to the new position.Of course not on the lines or where they screw onto the pump but at the flange where it bolts to the engine. You shouldn't have to move it far (if so that would be another problem).

Could it be compression or weak valve springs - maybe. Compression can be checked by removing the injectors and using a compression gauge. Weak valve springs is a whole other story. I can go through that if you need me too.

Dan.

kerry

Expedition Leader
How many miles on the engine? What were the circumstances of the original onset? Ie, did it overheat or get bad fuel? Was it sitting for a long time? Installing new injectors may be a relatively useful and simple test albeit perhaps expensive and unnecessary.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Did you have the injectors rebuilt at the same time as the pump? I’ve never done them “not as a set” of IP and injectors unless I knew there were specific bad injectors.

Having all injectors fail simultaneously isn’t super common, so if there is a cost issue, buying one and rotating it through the positions until you significantly change the magnitude of the issue can be a helpful diagnostic step.

ajamesr

How many miles on the engine? What were the circumstances of the original onset? Ie, did it overheat or get bad fuel? Was it sitting for a long time? Installing new injectors may be a relatively useful and simple test albeit perhaps expensive and unnecessary.
The engine only has 80,000 kilometers (about 50k miles), originally when I bought it,it would smoke while idling until it reached operating temperature, but then I went on a road trip and while climbing a steep hill, I noticed lots of smoke in the rear camera, just seemed to come out of no where.

As for installing new injectors, I've been trying to find new ones for a while. It's not easy to track down parts for this engine.

ajamesr

Did you have the injectors rebuilt at the same time as the pump? I’ve never done them “not as a set” of IP and injectors unless I knew there were specific bad injectors.

Having all injectors fail simultaneously isn’t super common, so if there is a cost issue, buying one and rotating it through the positions until you significantly change the magnitude of the issue can be a helpful diagnostic step.
I didn't even know injectors could be rebuilt. Shows how little I know about diesel engines, I kinda wish I would have done that. Replacing the injectors is less a cost issue and more of the fact that I can't find the parts.

ajamesr

Update: it's doing way better now. I took Dan's (Aussie Iron) advice and set the timing by prying agist the body of the ip, I only got it to move about 7 points (almost one line) but it made a major difference. Before it was putting out so much white smoke it filled the while area with a tick blanket of smokr, like a professional fog machine at a concert. Now it's just enough you can see the smoke and even that seems to go away after about 60 seconds of running. I'm not sure if finding a way to adjust the timing a more points would make it go away all together, or if the start up smoke is a different problem. I would love to throw in some new injectors, so if anyone has a lead on where to order injectors for the 4D33, let me know.

I think it's running well enough now that I can attempt the 2500 mile journey home.

ajamesr

Similarly, my diesel knowledge is general and all with different engines, but…

What color is the smoke?
What does it smell like?
Is it under load and running free, or just one of the two?
Internet diagnosis is rarely worth what you pay, but guessing games are fun:

I would guess that the injection timing isn’t advancing enough to keep up with the fuel as you go through that RPM, or one or more of your valve springs is weak and isn’t holding seal.

There are, IIRC, mechanical diesel timing light type tools out there that can detect the pressure pulse in a fuel line and help you set the timing. Not sure of the cost, or if you could find a spec for the timing advance.

The smoke is white, almost blueish. It smells like unburned diesel. It is almost entirely under load, I have to rev it up to at least 2000 rpm before it starts.

I think you are right about the timing. Timing this engine is hard, due to the ridged fuel lines attached to the pump, but I was able to move it a little bit and it ran a whole lot better.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Update: it's doing way better now. I took Dan's (Aussie Iron) advice and set the timing by prying agist the body of the ip, I only got it to move about 7 points (almost one line) but it made a major difference. Before it was putting out so much white smoke it filled the while area with a tick blanket of smokr, like a professional fog machine at a concert. Now it's just enough you can see the smoke and even that seems to go away after about 60 seconds of running. I'm not sure if finding a way to adjust the timing a more points would make it go away all together, or if the start up smoke is a different problem. I would love to throw in some new injectors, so if anyone has a lead on where to order injectors for the 4D33, let me know.

I think it's running well enough now that I can attempt the 2500 mile journey home.

Awesome, and glad you’re feeling like it is getting better.

Yes, anyone that can rebuild an injection pump can also rebuild injectors. They may have a similar parts availability issue, but usually parts can be found. In my experience, the shop usually changes the springs and seals in the injector after cleaning everything, and they test each one on re-assembly for proper volume, spray pattern, and trigger pressure. It is pretty easy/quick, so it might be worth your time to get it done before the trip, maybe a 2 or 3 day delay.

With respect to adjusting the pump, did you loosen all of the injector lines at the pump before turning it?You have to bleed them again afterwards, but it should make the pump turn more easily because the lines pivot a little instead of trying to bend them.

50k on injectors is virtually nothing in my opinion, they could be gummed up. Run some really good diesel injector cleaner (I always used Power Service) at 2-3x strength and run a couple of tanks of fuel through it.

kerry

Expedition Leader
Parts should be available via Australian parts suppliers if you can’t find them in North America. In a pinch it should be easy to find parts from Japan.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles