Fuso special tools

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I though I would start a thread where we could discuss useful special tools for working on Fuso trucks. You know, the type of tool you don't realize you need until you don't have it (and not part of a standard mechanics tool kit).

Please add what you have found to be helpful!

pugslyyy

Fuso hub nut tool. It's this or a chisel! I purchased a 6 sided hub nut socket (sorry, forget the exact size) and welded 2 pins onto it. It wasn't exactly the right size, so I put it in my press and adjusted it until it fit on the hub nut perfectly.

If you use a chisel your hub nut looks like this afterwards.

Last edited:

pugslyyy

Fuso rear hub inner/outer bearing outer race seating tools. (These are Land Rover spring spacers turned down to an appropriate diameter.)

Last edited:

pugslyyy

Tie rod end removal tool. I had to reinforce my stock one for it to work. If you have a better quality stock one it may be just fine.

Last edited:

pugslyyy

Rear leaf spring pin puller. If you don't have the nut for this, the pins are not coming out. Basically 2 nuts welded together. One (M22-1.5) fits the spring pin, the other my slide hammer. The bolts and washers are to use with a lug nut socket if I don't have my slide hammer handy.

This was my first, wholly inadequate attempt - it failed on the slide hammer causing me to hit myself in the head with the slide hammer, bleed profusely, and have to get my wife to clean me up and make sure I didn't need stitches.

Last edited:

1aquaholic

Adventurer
Fuel filter housing wrench. 8 point 4&3/8 socket. Very common and auto stores but 3/4" drive so you might want to get a 1/2 adapter.

http://www.tooldiscounter.com/ItemD...mfOIhCjsDeZGPYxG4vQaX9LuUzlxkCBTWAaAtlo8P8HAQ

4dec6452d7551f244c56ad7ac8193020.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

1aquaholic

Adventurer
There is a clutch in the pulley on the alternator. If it starts to go and you try to get another one they will only sell it with a new alternator and it's a solid pulley now. So I just laid a tig weld around the clutch opening to make my pull solid. Works great.

a0045b7d00a936603d39e41c01565faf.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

pugslyyy

Not sure if it qualifies as a special tool, but string is great for doing a wheel alignment

3wUgyKVh.jpg

3pBQVFjh.jpg

pugslyyy

I actually do always carry a length of string with me in case I bend a tie rod or something and have to do a quick field alignment after I straighten it. Haven't had that happen on a Fuso (yet), but it would certainly happen on the Land Rovers. I don't think it is accidental that the hi-lift jack handle is sized perfectly to sleeve a tie rod. :)

unkamonkey

Explorer
It sort of reminds me of my old service manual for my MB Jeep. Simple way to check your alignment. A string and what else do you really need to get back home As long as nothing else is too bent up?

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
Something that I made, or should I say repurposed, a while back was a tyre lifter that I use for rotating my wheels.
I started with a standard vehicle positioning jack and lengthened the lower bar (so it would fit my fit around my M608Z Toyo tyres). These jacks come with a pseudo roller system on each leg, but with the full weight of the wheel/tyre on them they definitely do not freely rotate. To that end, I replaced the useless plastic rollers with some conveyor rollers.
This tool makes it very easy to remove and refit the wheels, which can weigh up to 80KG.

Tyre_Lifter.JPG

Not something I would carry with me on the truck, but it is a very useful workshop tool.

Decanter

Adventurer
I'm with you. Those tires are such a bear. I found this guy from Esco Equipment called a heavy duty wheel hand truck. It works great horizontally or as the picture shows, vertically :)
wheelhandtruck.JPG

philofuso

Fuso hub nut tool. It's this or a chisel! I purchased a 6 sided hub nut socket (sorry, forget the exact size) and welded 2 pins onto it. It wasn't exactly the right size, so I put it in my press and adjusted it until it fit on the hub nut perfectly.

If you use a chisel your hub nut looks like this afterwards.

These photos alone helped me crack the code on how to take the brake drum off! I have bought a 1991 FG in pretty sad shape. I managed to get it to the tire shop. The guy told me one brake was seized and the other side needed a new bearing.
I used two giant 12" nails in these holes and twisted them at the other end to get the hub nut off. I stared at it for a couple days before finding this page.
I did manage to free a cylinder inside the brake drum and clean it up with 320 grit sand paper. The bearing has me stumped though. NAPA and everybody online can find me an outer bearing, but the inner one is elusive. I can't find a part number. I think (hope) all I need is the seal. I assembled everything thinking the last guy to put it together didn't tighten this hub nut, but then realized when the drum tightened against the back-plate that the spacing is all wrong.

I was going to get it down the road without the seal, but it appears that the seal also seats it properly on the shaft? --hopefully a quarter inch or so outboard.

Does anyone know where i can find an inner wheel bearing seal or the whole thing?

Thank you! If I should post this somewhere else let me know.
Greg
'91 FUSO FG

Buckstopper

Adventurer
I carry a Torque Multiplier to break the lug nuts loose. Some swear a cheater bar can do it but I bent a cheater bar trying so I carry at torque multiplier wrench. This is the one I carry and it make easy (well easier) work of changing tires:

Along the lines of changing tires these suckers are heavy! Have a plan on how you are going to handle them. I built a winch driven arm that lowers the spare to the ground. Better than hurting yourself handling these monsters.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles