Fuso owners in the US

GreenDodge

Hello all,
I recently acquired a Fuso FG. I started asking around (after the fact) diesel mechanics that I encounter and none of them want to work on a Fuso and many say they have never heard of them. There are no dealers most of the places I go and since I'm on the road full time, I have no place to work on it myself. It appears to be simple and I see a lot of tilt cab delivery trucks. Does everyone just take them to a dealer or is there some kind of shop I'm missing. The heavy truck mechanics have told me that they don't work on medium duty and the pickup truck mechanics have told me the same thing.

I hope to find that there is a way to get the truck serviced.
Thanks in advance for any advice.

Philip

mudraider

Adventurer
That really shouldn't be a big deal to find shops that work on the "mid-size" type of diesel trucks. Maybe in small towns you'd hear that, but any large metropolitan place it shouldn't be a major production. Did you get a good deal on the truck for what it is?

Sent from my pretty good android phone

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
You'll likely need to go to a medium duty truck shop or maybe try your local CAT dealer, sometimes they'll work on road trucks. As far as the engine itself it's not hard to work on, not exotic, not different than ay of the other diesels. If they don't want to work on it it's because they just aren't very good mechanics, unfortunately most aren't very good. It's a dying trade, we can't hire anyone right now and we're 6 techs understaffed. Nobody wants to fix cars anymore and far fewer want to work on equipment and trucks. What you're experiencing isn't a Fuso thing it's across the board, most mechanics working now haven't touched a Peterbilt, Mack, Freightliner much less a Fuso, Isuzu, UD or Hino. These heavy and medium duty trucks are simple to repair aside from larger parts but when you can make a better living not working on machines why take a job like that.

Honestly, if you plan on getting way out of town in any vehicle it would be wise to learn how to work on it and tool up. Don't forget even something as simple as a tire change is no easy task on a medium duty, you'll need a 6' plus breaker bar or 3/4" impact gun to remove the lug nuts and a way to torque them back down to 450-500ftlbs and the tires can weigh 150lbs or more. Things to keep in mind and practice doing solo at home before heading out, could mean life or death.

GreenDodge

That really shouldn't be a big deal to find shops that work on the "mid-size" type of diesel trucks. Maybe in small towns you'd hear that, but any large metropolitan place it shouldn't be a major production. Did you get a good deal on the truck for what it is?
Since I avoid large metropolitan areas like the plague, that is a problem for me. I suspect I paid top dollar, because it was the last year of manual transmissions and is low mileage, good sheet metal, and very little frame rust which I removed when I took the dump bed off. If I am to keep the truck, I suspect that I will have to adapt, which is not something that I like to do. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne