Fuso/NPS vs Landcruiser

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
That's one thing I like about the canter over the isuzu is they have a more aerodynamic shape rather then being a brick.
I have a FG84 and I would definitely not call it aerodynamic.
Sadly, a brick is a brick and that's what you are going to get with all these 6 tonne trucks.

dan85

Observer
It may vary state to state, but in wa if it's over 4.5 the only way it's not a truck is if it's a motor home. I assume the 2k/yr is for insurance? Depending on how it's setup you can insure it as a camper while it's rego'd as a truck still. Camper insurance will be roughly half.

I don't know if it fits your requirements but I have heard the daily is good on fuel, apparently sub 15 is achievable, and obviously the best offroad option. Not sure about towing with the 3L, but they do have by far the best gearing setup.
heard a few nasty stories about the daily's brakes while towing especially down hill and no exhaust brake. My other issue with the daily's is theres plenty of issues with them. I work for a mining company and we have 3 in our fleet. 3/3 are currently parked up awaiting being fixed with less than 1000kms on them. out of our huge fleet of trucks the isuzu's just keep on trucking (pun intended) while other stuff seems to have issues.

cheif carlos

I have a Daily, only way you can go sub 15lt is sitting under 80kmh. This I have proved and is a marketing lie of Iveco (salesman admitted to the speed they do to get it). Mostly in the 18 unloaded to 22 loaded, unless you have a tune then guys are getting into mid 16's. The brakes...... lets not go there although $3400 you can get ventilated disks, another 2-3k tune, egt and dpf delete and then you can install an exhaust brake and throw any engine warranty out the window

JohnRogers

Observer
If an Isuzu is a brick then a Canter is a brick with rounded edges!! They are both the equivalent of pushing two 8x4 sheets of plywood down the freeway at 100kmh.

Aussie Iron

Explorer
If you want to check out the Canter’s capability have a look at YouTube. Search “Canter Gunshot” or “Canter Tele Track” will get you started.

I'm there as well. Canters are very capable. What is shown there is only some of what we have done as a lot is not filmed just driven over.

Does the truck have to be registered as a truck over 4500kg gvm if for non commercial use?

In Qld. if it over 4.5 tonnes (metric ton) it is a commercial vehicle even if privately used and must have a yearly pit inspection.

Dan.

BradK

In NSW to be a motorhome it needs a bed, a table and chairs and a stove according to the Road and Maritime website. In the build I’m planning this should be easy to achieve. I cant find on the website the difference in rego between a truck and a motorhome. I might need to go in and stand at the counter and ask - old school I know. Interesting that the insurance would be cheaper.

The engine in the Iveco Daily is the same as the one in the new Canter. It is tuned differently though and in the Iveco has no exhaust brake :-(

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
Each state has it's own rules governing what a motorhome is, but in NSW/ACT I believe that to be classified as a motorhome, the body has to be non removeable.
If it is removable, as in a slide-on, then it will be classified as a commercial truck.

Spanna 53

Oh the joys of it all have just come of the Oodnadatta Track in my single cab NPS 2014 with standard suspension ,wheels and tyres always around 20 L /100 kms rides well over the corrigations at 80 ks on the highway fuel comsuption will drop at 100 /110 not even going to try 130 outback speed limit , rego in Victoria $1200 and is the same as a truck even though on the rego it is classified as a caravan

gait

Explorer
in FG649 at 80 km/hr I get about 16.5 l/100km, at less than 30 km/hr I recently got about 1000 km out of 120 litre tank - 12.3 l/100km. 4wd in sand pushes it above 18 l/100km, has been as high as 20. 4.5 tonne.

Big difference between LC and Canter is space, payload, and forward control. I needed something that two people could live in for extended period in relative comfort.

moose2367

Don't have either, but have been around plenty of cruisers, IMO they are the most over rated 4x4's out there. Gutless for the size of the engine in them, even chipped etc. Crap low down torque compared to the 1HD-FTE engine.

If you want the versatility then definitely go for the truck. I have an oka with a few mods, that is my only vehicle, haven't found a cruiser that could keep up yet.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
Don't have either, but have been around plenty of cruisers, IMO they are the most over rated 4x4's out there. Gutless for the size of the engine in them, even chipped etc. Crap low down torque compared to the 1HD-FTE engine.

If you want the versatility then definitely go for the truck. I have an oka with a few mods, that is my only vehicle, haven't found a cruiser that could keep up yet.

ok.

chocko

Just drove from Adelaide to Alice Springs with our short wheelbase Canter towing our 3.2ton caravan and averaged 20ltrs per 100 sitting on 90km/hr . Standard suspension and tyres let down to 70PSI . I wouldnt go larger diameter super singles as the gearing would be ******** , way too hard for the little 3 ltr to turn. Currently sitting on 2500RPM @ 90km/hr and goes sweet as.

Attachments

• fuel.jpg
    fuel.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 79

Spanna 53

Chocko do believe I saw it in Bunnings car park Saturday before heading up the Tanimi still looking very new ,bloke in a Landi defender recod it looked OK and was looking at the Canter website he may have still been there when you got back. Spanna

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94