Fuso Frame Repair

I would like to ask you folks a question, after taking off the body that was on my 2006 Fuso FG 140 we discovered that the frame rails are compromised. Can they be fabricated/replaced. Does anybody out here know which body styles/year would work? Thank you. My thought is to replace with a possibly a FE hopefully with a longer wheelbase and extending the drive shaft. Can it be done?

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
The FE frame will NOT work as the FG has a 'hump' in it. pugslyyy here on the Expo Portal replaced the frame on his FG (the ex-Hackney truck). Back then (maybe 8 years ago?) the custom frame he ordered was about $3k (?) uninstalled of course. I could not find his thread, but if you do some more Portal searching or drop him a private message via the portal, I'm sure he could give you some more info (he is a 'good guy'). Be advised he did his own frame replacement as he is 'in the industry' and very skilled. Certainly not a 'back-yard' sort of job. Best of luck with the quest.

1aquaholic

Adventurer
I know the entire vehicles the same from 05 to 07 in the United States. I think the frame is the same in more years than that but I'm not sure, others on here will be able to answer that in time. I know many people on here including myself would love to hear more about what happened and how it happened and maybe some pictures if you are willing, to see if we might have the same problem.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

stormsails

I replaced the frame on my Fuso. There is a splice just after where the frame curves that is attached with a bunch of rivets. Most of the time the front section is still good and the rear rails is rusted out. It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. I also replaced all the rear crossmembers and most of the brackets. I had all the metal bent at a local shop and cut and fitted everything myself. Then used frame bolts instead of rivets to bolt everything back together. I think I would use a air hammer to remove the rivets next time, I used a hammer punch and grinder and it took forever.

Attachments

• fuso frame 2.jpg
    fuso frame 2.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 76
  • fuso frame 3.jpg
    fuso frame 3.jpg
    625.8 KB · Views: 79
  • fuso frame.jpg
    fuso frame.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 75

C p weinberger

I always understood that rivets play a very specific role in frame construction. The rivets are tight in the frame holes when crushed preventing movement. Unless the Replacement bolts are very tight in the frame holes movement overtime may elongate the holes / damage bolts and cause a failure. I imagine if you are aware of potential movement and monitor frame you would be ok? Remove a frame bolt periodically and check for issues.

gait

Explorer
I always understood that rivets play a very specific role in frame construction. The rivets are tight in the frame holes when crushed preventing movement. Unless the Replacement bolts are very tight in the frame holes movement overtime may elongate the holes / damage bolts and cause a failure. I imagine if you are aware of potential movement and monitor frame you would be ok? Remove a frame bolt periodically and check for issues.
yup, that's what the rivets do.
Having said that. When I bought my truck it had 10mm plates full chassis length on the outside of each chassis rail, bolted. Previous owner's previous truck had broken a chassis and he didn't want a repeat. I removed the plates (I needed to keep final weight below 4.5mt). I used new bolts. After more than 100,000km over some fairly rough country all good.

javajoe79

Fabricator
A good way to get a tight fight for bolts in a situation like that is to drill the holes undersized and then use a reamer to make the holes an exact fit or even a slight interference fit. Use bolts with a shoulder to avoid putting the threads in shear.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I would like to ask you folks a question, after taking off the body that was on my 2006 Fuso FG 140 we discovered that the frame rails are compromised. Can they be fabricated/replaced. Does anybody out here know which body styles/year would work? Thank you. My thought is to replace with a possibly a FE hopefully with a longer wheelbase and extending the drive shaft. Can it be done?
The FG frame is different from all the other Fuso frames - both the frame width and the step up that allows clearance over the front axle. My frame is 18 inches longer than stock so yes, you can extend the drive shaft, brake lines, wiring, etc. If you are going to the effort to replace the frame I would definitely make it the length you want. I added an extra crossmember to mine as well.

The FG frame is different from all the other Fuso frames - both the frame width and the step up that allows clearance over the front axle. My frame is 18 inches longer than stock so yes, you can extend the drive shaft, brake lines, wiring, etc. If you are going to the effort to replace the frame I would definitely make it the length you want. I added an extra crossmember to mine as well.

That was my thought as well. Who did your frame work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke