SOLD … … Fuso FM-260 Expedition Rig

JRhetts

Adventurer
SOLD … … FUSO FM-260 Expedition Vehicle for Sale in Bend, Oregon
The overarching design goals were to:
• create the functional equivalent of the fabled European expedition vehicles,
• with a US-legal truck,
•at a significantly lower cost than the Euro-manufacturers.
Mission accomplished.

1 Keno Hill2-dehaze.jpg

North America has hundreds of campers that their builders call “expedition vehicles,” but rather few have the capability, systems, comfort, storage and living space to actually support a trip of unlimited duration. This offering is an exception, having been designed and built from the ground up by an extraordinary team of engineers and craftsmen to be the best possible balance of self-sufficiency and off-pavement ability. This vehicle has already spent roughly half of its travel time in isolated off-road and off-grid situations.

ENGINEERING
The truck, drivetrain and cabin torsion-mount received hundreds of hours of engineering from Mitsubishi, Marmon-Harrington, and Dana Corporation, spearheaded by the late Darrin Fink. This diversity of input, rather than all in-house ideas and solutions, hatched a genuinely trouble-free expedition vehicle.
At the end of the design phase, the entire assembly was reviewed and approved by Mitsubishi engineering so as to fully retain the truck's 7-year/250,000 warranty, which Mitsubishi also approved commencing in 2010 when the truck was first registered for use.
TRUCK
The truck is a 2007 Class 6 Fuso FM-260. The chassis is fast enough for interstate cruising, but geared with low-range transfer case and locking rear differential so as to have no reasonable limits on off-road terrain. The Mitsubishi engine is the last NAFTA model not to require ultra-low sulfur, so there are no restrictions to international travel.
2 Finished Front.jpg

Unlike the majority of off-road camping trucks, the cabover design creates excellent driver and passenger visibility and comfort while allowing several more feet of cabin space in the modest 24- foot overall vehicle length [virtually the same as a crew cab/extended bed pickup truck].
The 41-inch Bridgestone MZX tires were carefully chosen to best balance pavement travel with the need to perform well on non-maintained tracks.

3 Specs-A.png

HOUSE
The cabin box [the house] was built by Martin-Marietta, specifically to fit the torsion mount on the truck.
The cabin is constructed of Transonite® composite panels, fabricated and assembled by Martin-Marietta. These panels are very lightweight, but excel in strength, durability, and insulation properties. This was an expensive choice, but the current excellent condition of the cabin shows it to have been a good choice.
There is an adult-sized passthrough between the house and the cab. There is space at the back of the truck's cab available for pets, storage, or an extra bed.

4 pano driv Side v5.jpg

The House interior and its systems were designed by the owner and built with a team of four experienced professional RV craftsmen.
The cabin is large, light and airy, with outstanding hand-built cabinetry and top-spec appliances and equipment. It was specifically designed to be lived in for months at a time, with maximum easy-to-access internal and external storage.

5 pano pass v5.jpg

The cabin has proven very livable, being ideal for a couple, but easily able to accommodate up to four people.

6 pano Rear v5 crop.jpg

A great deal of internal storage is available throughout the house, in locking drawers and cabinets. The queen-size bed is the comfort equivalent of an upscale residential bed, having a comfortable latex mattress and–unlike some supposed expedition trucks–easy access and plenty of headroom. The toilet room is a fully-enclosed, private space with a shower and a residential-sized composting toilet. There is no blackwater to contend with.

7 Specs-B.png

The external storage is massive, in (4) locking compartments, including an enormous, 32 cuft full-width compartment at the rear. The vehicle carries two mounted spares on the rear, and can include a motorcycle rack.
On-board systems include extensive solar and battery bank capacity, water heating, water purification, a generator, large-capacity fuel tanks, and all other equipment necessary for unlimited travel and continuous off-grid living.

8 Specs-C.png

This truck was designed from the outset to provide the owner with the highest possible reliability and quality of life regardless of terrain, trip duration or outside conditions. Thus, each decision about construction, layout, equipment and systems was made carefully with the choices being made independent of expense. As a result, this may be one of the very best vehicles ever constructed in North America for going to remote locations, be they in Baja, the Yukon, the Mojave, or global circumnavigation [which was the original intention.]

This vehicle has been fully maintained and is registered with a clear title in Oregon. With the addition of fuel, water, and personal belongings, it could leave tomorrow for a trip of any length.
The asking price for the vehicle and numerous backup parts is $285,000. A complete Operating Manual is included, along with detailed individual manuals for all appliances and equipment.
Delivery from Bend, Oregon is negotiable.

Additional description and photographs can be found on Expedition Portal at: https://expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/fuso-fm260-based-expedition-vehicle.219513/

The owner can supply additional detail and photographs to serious buyers.
Questions are genuinely welcome. Please contact me via the thread above or a private message with questions or proposed arrangements for a phone call in which we can discuss the performance of the vehicle in depth.

Last edited:

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
An unsolicited PSA . . . :)

I was a colleague of Darrin Fink as this truck was being built, and something over three years ago, I used this Fuso as part of a three-part comparison test (now combined as one article: https://expeditionportal.com/modern-day-fuso-vs-old-school-mog/) comparing it to my personal Unimog camper. Throughout my decade-plus acquaintance with this rig, it has consistently impressed me as a very well-engineered pukka expedition camper, one that really does have the chassis, space and systems to allow for comfortable and safe multi-month vehicle-dependent expeditions.

This setup may be more "competent" than many will need or want, but for those with the desire and experience to take advantage of it, my personal experience suggests that this is, at a quite-reasonable asking price, a top-tier option. I feel confident that any qualified purchaser would be very pleased and proud to own this carefully-designed/built truck for their own adventures.

Logan Burns

FUSO FM-260 Expedition Vehicle for Sale in Bend, Oregon
The overarching design goals were to:
• create the functional equivalent of the fabled European expedition vehicles,
• with a US-legal truck,
•at a significantly lower cost than the Euro-manufacturers.
Mission accomplished.

View attachment 659293

North America has hundreds of campers that their builders call “expedition vehicles,” but rather few have the capability, systems, comfort, storage and living space to actually support a trip of unlimited duration. This offering is an exception, having been designed and built from the ground up by an extraordinary team of engineers and craftsmen to be the best possible balance of self-sufficiency and off-pavement ability. This vehicle has already spent roughly half of its travel time in isolated off-road and off-grid situations.

ENGINEERING
The truck, drivetrain and cabin torsion-mount received hundreds of hours of engineering from Mitsubishi, Marmon-Harrington, and Dana Corporation, spearheaded by the late Darrin Fink. This diversity of input, rather than all in-house ideas and solutions, hatched a genuinely trouble-free expedition vehicle.
At the end of the design phase, the entire assembly was reviewed and approved by Mitsubishi engineering so as to fully retain the truck's 7-year/250,000 warranty, which Mitsubishi also approved commencing in 2010 when the truck was first registered for use.
TRUCK
The truck is a 2007 Class 6 Fuso FM-260. The chassis is fast enough for interstate cruising, but geared with low-range transfer case and locking rear differential so as to have no reasonable limits on off-road terrain. The Mitsubishi engine is the last NAFTA model not to require ultra-low sulfur, so there are no restrictions to international travel.
View attachment 659298
Unlike the majority of off-road camping trucks, the cabover design creates excellent driver and passenger visibility and comfort while allowing several more feet of cabin space in the modest 24- foot overall vehicle length [virtually the same as a crew cab/extended bed pickup truck].
The 41-inch Bridgestone MZX tires were carefully chosen to best balance pavement travel with the need to perform well on non-maintained tracks.

View attachment 659299

HOUSE
The cabin box [the house] was built by Martin-Marietta, specifically to fit the torsion mount on the truck.
The cabin is constructed of Transonite® composite panels, fabricated and assembled by Martin-Marietta. These panels are very lightweight, but excel in strength, durability, and insulation properties. This was an expensive choice, but the current excellent condition of the cabin shows it to have been a good choice.
There is an adult-sized passthrough between the house and the cab. There is space at the back of the truck's cab available for pets, storage, or an extra bed.

View attachment 659300

The House interior and its systems were designed by the owner and built with a team of four experienced professional RV craftsmen.
The cabin is large, light and airy, with outstanding hand-built cabinetry and top-spec appliances and equipment. It was specifically designed to be lived in for months at a time, with maximum easy-to-access internal and external storage.

View attachment 659301

The cabin has proven very livable, being ideal for a couple, but easily able to accommodate up to four people.

View attachment 659302

A great deal of internal storage is available throughout the house, in locking drawers and cabinets. The queen-size bed is the comfort equivalent of an upscale residential bed, having a comfortable latex mattress and–unlike some supposed expedition trucks–easy access and plenty of headroom. The toilet room is a fully-enclosed, private space with a shower and a residential-sized composting toilet. There is no blackwater to contend with.

View attachment 659307

The external storage is massive, in (4) locking compartments, including an enormous, 32 cuft full-width compartment at the rear. The vehicle carries two mounted spares on the rear, and can include a motorcycle rack.
On-board systems include extensive solar and battery bank capacity, water heating, water purification, a generator, large-capacity fuel tanks, and all other equipment necessary for unlimited travel and continuous off-grid living.

View attachment 659308

This truck was designed from the outset to provide the owner with the highest possible reliability and quality of life regardless of terrain, trip duration or outside conditions. Thus, each decision about construction, layout, equipment and systems was made carefully with the choices being made independent of expense. As a result, this may be one of the very best vehicles ever constructed in North America for going to remote locations, be they in Baja, the Yukon, the Mojave, or global circumnavigation [which was the original intention.]

This vehicle has been fully maintained and is registered with a clear title in Oregon. With the addition of fuel, water, and personal belongings, it could leave tomorrow for a trip of any length.
The asking price for the vehicle and numerous backup parts is $285,000. A complete Operating Manual is included, along with detailed individual manuals for all appliances and equipment.
Delivery from Bend, Oregon is negotiable.

Additional description and photographs can be found on Expedition Portal at: https://expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/fuso-fm260-based-expedition-vehicle.219513/

The owner can supply additional detail and photographs to serious buyers.
Questions are genuinely welcome. Please contact me via the thread above or a private message with questions or proposed arrangements for a phone call in which we can discuss the performance of the vehicle in depth.

Logan Burns

An unsolicited PSA . . . :)

I was a colleague of Darrin Fink as this truck was being built, and something over three years ago, I used this Fuso as part of a three-part comparison test (now combined as one article: https://expeditionportal.com/modern-day-fuso-vs-old-school-mog/) comparing it to my personal Unimog camper. Throughout my decade-plus acquaintance with this rig, it has consistently impressed me as a very well-engineered pukka expedition camper, one that really does have the chassis, space and systems to allow for comfortable and safe multi-month vehicle-dependent expeditions.

This setup may be more "competent" than many will need or want, but for those with the desire and experience to take advantage of it, my personal experience suggests that this is, at a quite-reasonable asking price, a top-tier option. I feel confident that any qualified purchaser would be very pleased and proud to own this carefully-designed/built truck for their own adventures.
Please contact me loganburns09@yahoo.com

JRhetts

Adventurer
I have had several inquiries about the [driving] view from the cab. For both driver and co-pilot, it is expansive.
view from cab-2.jpg

Reactions: mog

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles