Fuso FG "necessary" upgrades?

So I'm planning an "expedition vehicle" build and am throwing around the idea of using a Fuso FG. I've been reading up on upgradeability and modifications for quite a while. Now I know this has certainly been discussed before but most of the threads I've seen are several years old at this point (if not almost a decade).

I'm curious what people might consider as a necessary upgrade to a Fuso FG?

-I know parabolic springs are a fan favorite but whats the best place to source them in the states?
-What is everyone doing for engine upgrades. The power and torque numbers seem a bit low for something that may end up weighing over 10,000 pounds.
- Super single wheels and what tires most people run (because theyre too small to run military tries like MVT, XML or MPT)
-Preferred seats? (I have a plan for this but I'm curious nonetheless)

Mostly just curious if theres any "lastest and greatest" developments when it comes to the Fuso FG.

Czechsix

Watching you from a ridge
I'd pass on the parabolics and just get a local spring company to build some. Get multiple leaves, get double military wrap ends.
Engine upgrades depends upon the year, earlier ones can be massaged, later years will need new ECM maps with all that entails.
I ran Alex wheels from Earthcruiser, and Toyo MT's.
As to seats, I went from stock (ouch), to air ride seats (too tall, decent ride though), and then Earthcruiser seats (worked well...and squeaked all the time, but ride was worth it).

Placing the operator seats above the front axle, well, it's always going to be a hard ride especially when you hit those bumps at speed. No way around it. There have been some exotic suspension setups, but very pricey.

Reactions: mog

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
The reason they need parabolic springs is because the springs are too short.
If you can move the spring hangers to lengthen the springs, you can use conventional long leaves.
The need for suspension seats is linked closely to the springs. Fix the front springs and you won't need suspension seats.
Tyre choice depends on the weight you finish up at. About 37" seems to be the go. If you are heavy, 305/70R19.5. I like Michelin XDE2. Second choice Bridgestone. If you are lighter, 12.5 or 13.5 x 17". Pick something with a high load rating .
It is an expedition vehicle. You are not in a hurry. You don't need heaps of power. Reliability and fuel consumption are more important. Spend your money on more important things.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

Czechsix

Watching you from a ridge
I had parabolics on mine. Rode harsh as usual, but was a decently compliant suspension at low speeds off road. Suspension seats are a definite requirement. I also rode on conventional springs with suspension seats, and I honestly couldn't tell the difference between the conventionals and the parabolics. Parabolics I had were ATW, by the way.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
There was a tendency to fall over, so it was abandoned.
If you drive one of these trucks like a sports car around corners I guess it might want to fall over.

I'm not convinced that was the reason they stopped offering this modification, but I could understand that happening with the above setup, as there are no bump stops installed, which could result in an undesirable amount of suspension freedom and give you excessive body roll.
I have bump stops in my setup, but how they are setup still allows too much travel, which is something I plan to address.
I should add... I have never felt like my truck was ever going to fall over. Maybe that's because I understand that it is a truck and drive it accordingly.

yabanja

Explorer
Parabolics are not necessary. Just have the local spring shop make new leaves that are 1.5" longer and re-arched accordingly. Get timbren bumpstops.
Don't mess with the power. If you want something fast buy a raptor and a shell for it. These trucks are about reliability at low speed over very rough terrain
Most people are running 17" wheels with 37" tires which will get you the gearing for comfortable highway speeds.
No suspension seats here. Do like recaros though.

In the grand scheme of things i need something with a longer wheelbase than a standard FG. Out of curiosity does anyone think there a more cost effective option to get a 4x4 COE than just stretching the FG frame?

SuperVan

Forager
In the grand scheme of things i need something with a longer wheelbase than a standard FG. Out of curiosity does anyone think there a more cost effective option to get a 4x4 COE than just stretching the FG frame?
There are two wheel base lengths for the Fuso. You can stretch them but the larger wheel base will support a 15.5 foot habitat. Perhaps even longer if you really wanted that.

There are two wheel base lengths for the Fuso. You can stretch them but the larger wheel base will support a 15.5 foot habitat. Perhaps even longer if you really wanted that.
I already own a camper with quite a lot of money in aftermarket accessories and am planning to use that as the habitat. Its much longer than 15.5 feet. Planning my build mostly for flat but soft sand beaches here on long island (NY) and similar conditions across the country and even continent. Not really worried about rock crawling ability so the long wheelbase and heavy habitat is less of a concern.

Also, just a general knowledge question but is there anyway to upgrade the rear suspension to increase the GVWR of the Fuso? I don't need it for my current camper's weight but thinking about a configuration in the distant future that may need a little bit more payload capabilities.

kerry

Expedition Leader
At some time 200X Fuso uprated their US FG’s from 12k GWVR to 14k. I’ve never been able to determine what they actually did to the chassis, if anything, to accomplish that. I’ve wondered if it was simply done to reclassify the truck as medium duty and not light duty.

Also curious what SRW wheel options there are for 5 lug Fusos? (and also what lug pattern they are, and if you can space the inner and outer on the rear wheels to create clearance for wider tires?)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles