Fuso FG "necessary" upgrades?

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
I have never done a side by side comparison of the 5 and 6 stud drum setup, but it could be possible.
I expect that you would have to change all of the brake drums and backing plates.

blackduck

Explorer
Anyone know what the 5 lug wheels are rated for in terms of weight? and if its possible and/or easy to swap to 6 lug hubs?
my 5 stud 16" ally rims are rated to max 1800kg. (im downgraded GVM) pretty sure 17" and 19" steel rims in 5 stud would blitz that but then again im not paying $1000 per tyre

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
The current ATW 5 and 6 stud 19.5" steel singles are rated at 3000kg. The original ones were actually rates at 6000kg!
These are by far the strongest singles I have seen for the Fuso, but that rim size does limit your choice of tyres.

kanga1

Observer
Parabolics are not necessary. Just have the local spring shop make new leaves that are 1.5" longer and re-arched accordingly. Get timbren bumpstops.
Don't mess with the power. If you want something fast buy a raptor and a shell for it. These trucks are about reliability at low speed over very rough terrain
Most people are running 17" wheels with 37" tires which will get you the gearing for comfortable highway speeds.
No suspension seats here. Do like recaros though.

Hi, would you be able to let me know the part number for your Timbren bump stops. I live in Tasmania and have a 1996 FG637 it looks the same as yours. I've just fitted new front spring packs and shock absorbers, which had made a huge improvement in ride comfort, but would like to replace the solid rubber bump stops with something more forgiving. Cheers.

yabanja

Explorer
Hi, would you be able to let me know the part number for your Timbren bump stops. I live in Tasmania and have a 1996 FG637 it looks the same as yours. I've just fitted new front spring packs and shock absorbers, which had made a huge improvement in ride comfort, but would like to replace the solid rubber bump stops with something more forgiving. Cheers.
Hello!
Tasmania tops the list of places we would like to travel to some day! Anyways, I looked all over for the receipt but couldn't find it. You will have to contact timbren directly at www.timbren.com . They are very helpful. I have actually been meaning to contact them about seeing if they have some softer ones that are more oriented to off road rather than carrying heavy loads as we are a fixed weight which is a bit lighter than the max capacity of the truck.

Take care!

Allan

sixbennetts

Adventurer
Also, just a general knowledge question but is there anyway to upgrade the rear suspension to increase the GVWR of the Fuso? I don't need it for my current camper's weight but thinking about a configuration in the distant future that may need a little bit more payload capabilities.

Before you start nodding, build/install your habitat and see how it rides. These trucks have a sweet spot as far as load weight is concerned. In other words, a stock truck will ride like a tank with a light load, but the ride gets better with weight. Overloaded, they ride like a tank as well. But there is a general weight where EACH TRUCK will give you it's 'best ride'.

Of course, the more weight you add, the less performance you have, so, well.... Welcome to Fusos!

kerry

Expedition Leader
MFFFGA is the Timbren part number for the bump stop which fit my 1999FG US model. I had trouble getting the right part from Timbren but finally that part fit.

kanga1

Observer
Hello!
Tasmania tops the list of places we would like to travel to some day! Anyways, I looked all over for the receipt but couldn't find it. You will have to contact timbren directly at www.timbren.com . They are very helpful. I have actually been meaning to contact them about seeing if they have some softer ones that are more oriented to off road rather than carrying heavy loads as we are a fixed weight which is a bit lighter than the max capacity of the truck.

Take care!

Allan
Thanks for having a look, keep up the great YouTube videos.?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz