FUSO FG cab extension - any thoughts? (2004)

FGwannaB

Recently joined the FUSO FG owners club. Excited to have such a cool vehicle. Prior owner installed a driver's side suspension seat which is not bad however if I could move the seat back 3-4 inches, it would make a huge difference in comfort level. I knew the single cab FUSO was tiny but I have 1 position option while driving and can't move around at all for leg/hip relief.
Is it possible to add 3-6" to the rear of the cab? If so, can the tilt mechanism also be moved back in relation to the possible extension of the cab?
Do dual cabs fit on a single cab FG frame?
Do other FUSO cabs fit on an FG frame?
What solutions have FUSO owners come up with?
Thanks for the advice in advance...
4 11 21_home.JPG

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
As is often the case, pretty much anything is possible, but it really comes down to how much money you want to throw at it.
The Fuso is what it is. If you want to turn it into something else, maybe you bought the wrong vehicle.

Aussie Iron

Explorer
Yes, it would be a major problem to extend the cab rearwards.
Maybe remove the seat and fit a racing shell seat and a little padding to get more room.

Only Joking,

Dan.

FGwannaB

I don't think I bought the wrong vehicle, but maybe the wrong cab set up. Anyway, just throwing it out there to see if there's any readily available information regarding the seating situation. There seems to be an endless amount of modifications made to FUSO's as discussed on the forum. Just thought I'd ask.

canter tourer

Adventurer
I don't think a dual cab would be much benefit for you either, as there is limited travel in the seating due to the bulkhead and crossbar behind the seat. Is there any scope for modifying the seat rails to extract every last millimetre of travel you can?
Dave.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
For some reason, only known to Fuso America, the dual cab FG was never made available in the US, so it is a bit of a moot point compairing them.
That said, from an engineering perspective, I would find it much easier moving the seats back in a dual cab, compared to trying to extend the back of a single cab.

FGwannaB

I inspected the seat closely this weekend. Prior owner installed a suspension drivers seat which lacks fore/aft adjustment. I believe the adjustment has been set in the most available aft position some how. Something within the adjustment mechanism is locked into place and will not allow the seat to slide on the rails in any direction. Further, the suspension mechanism is located behind the seat back which uses approximately 1" of space. I compared the driver's side suspension seat to the OEM passenger seat and the back of the passenger seat is about 1 - 1 1/2 " farther aft then the drivers seat. In conclusion, the "upgraded" drivers seat uses 1 - 1 1/2" of potential adjustment of an OEM passenger seat to accommodate for the suspension apparatus of the upgraded suspension seat. I think I need to replace the suspension seat with an OEM seat or a different seat that can use every MM of potential adjustment as Canter Tourer suggested.

I need to pull the drivers seat out and spend some time on it.

I thought about a dual cab purchase from Busbees. They are only a 3 hour drive from my location. They currently have a nice FG frame with no rust whatsoever, which appears to be an anomaly in the USA. I appreciate y'alls insight on the matter. Thanks a bunch!

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
Previously I had Stratos suspension seats in my truck, which have the suspension mechanism behind the backrest of the seat, similar to how you have described your seat. I never liked those seats.

I currently have a 2020 FGB71 OEM suspension seat in my FG84 (similar to the FG140) and have at least 6 to 8 inches of space behind the seat.
If I were to push the seat back as far as it goes, I would have issues working the peddles, so I am confused as to why you are cramped in your truck.

Attachments

• FGB71 Seat.JPG
    FGB71 Seat.JPG
    134.3 KB · Views: 31

sackettmw

Maybe check busbee's for an original seat and try that. Or maybe some other seat that occupies less space. My FG is older but the seats are pretty minimal. I'm 6'4" and I fit okay but I also haven't driven mine much or any kind of distance.

It does seem like it would be pretty easy to bump out the back of the cab and maybe get a little space to recline but the area behind the seat base would be complicated.

I'm in Greenville SC if you want to compare my seat but it may not be relevant to you, mine being a 1990 and well worn. Or if you want to see an old FG with no rust.

FGwannaB

I'll take pictures and measurements and post them in a day or two. I'll try and find the brand of the suspension seat as well. Sakettnmw - I'm in Saluda. I'd like to see your FUSO. Maybe meet in TR sometime?

sackettmw

I'll take pictures and measurements and post them in a day or two. I'll try and find the brand of the suspension seat as well. Sakettnmw - I'm in Saluda. I'd like to see your FUSO. Maybe meet in TR sometime?
I don't currently have insurance on mine. I bought it last year and used it when I had to move my shop (its a box truck). Haven't really got into building it yet. Anyway I'm on the north side of downtown Greenville, 1106 Poinsett Hwy. If you ever want to swing by my shop and talk about FGs just give me a heads up. Seems like I'm there all the time lately.

DzlToy

Explorer
Mastercraft Safety, PRP or similar for a suspension seat, with slide and tilt.

Fix the suspension on your truck so it does its job damping vibration. Only then will your truck ride better than a wooden-wheeled, ox-drawn Medieval cart.

FGwannaB

Finally got to it. The driver seat is a Bostrom seat. The suspension mechanism is positioned behind the seat. The mechanism takes up about 1" (25mm). There is also another 1" (25mm) between the mechanism and the cab wall behind the seat. Distance from dash trim above fan switch to cab wall is 42.5" (1078mm for our Aussie friends). The Bostrom seat has a lever underneath the seat that in typical situations when pulled up, allows for the seat to slide fore and aft. This lever must be locked in place because it does not function. Here are some pictures:
driver seat 1.JPG driver seat back to cab back.JPG driver seat suspension.JPG driver seat space behind suspension mechanism.JPG driver seat brand.JPG

The passenger seat is nice. It's vinyl and cushy. The back of the passenger seat sits closer to the cab back than the driver seat. There is a lever on the lower front left of the seat that does not function. I am uncertain if the passenger seat is OEM equipment. The handle shown in the picture under the front left of the passenger seat also does not function.

Here are pictures of the passenger seat:

passenger seat.JPG passenger seat lever.JPG
passenger seat back folded.JPG

With all that being said, my questions to the forum are: What brand seats offer maximum aft positioning? If any members have had these issues, how did you solve them?

Much thanks to all the folks on this forum. I hope I can one day offer solid advice to a newbie like myself.

driver seat 1.JPGdriver seat back to cab back.JPGdriver seat suspension.JPGdriver seat space behind suspension mechanism.JPGdriver seat brand.JPGpassenger seat.JPGpassenger seat lever.JPGpassenger seat back folded.JPG

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
Firstly, the OEM passenger seat is a bench, so no... the one in your truck is not a standard Fuso passenger seat.

As you should be able to see, the OEM FGB71 seat I put into my truck has much more space behind the seat back than your Bostrom seat.
As far as I know, the current US version Fuso does not have a driver's suspension seat.

I might also add... the Bostrom seat uses exactly the same suspension mechanism as the Stratos suspension seat.

I have seen that numerous people in the US/Canada have used the National air suspension seats in their trucks. Maybe that's an avenue to investigate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles