Fuso FG Bilstein 5100 shocks

FG Surfari

Adventurer
Hi
I have a 2004 Fuso Fg SWB with a stock suspension.
I read the posts about Michel's and Doug's trucks and how they both installed Bilstein 5100 series shocks, but there was some confusion about the part numbers, because one truck has a stock suspension, while the other is modified.
As such, does anyone know the right shock numbers for the stock suspension setup.
Any information would be greatly appreciated. :smiley_drive:

dhackney

Expedition Leader
There is a photo of the shocks on our truck that shows the part number during the buildup here
front: http://www.hackneys.com/mitsu/photos/buildup_album_17/image003.htm
rear: http://www.hackneys.com/mitsu/photos/buildup_album_16/image022.htm

More photos:
http://www.hackneys.com/mitsu/photos/buildup_album_16/index.htm
http://www.hackneys.com/mitsu/photos/buildup_album_17/index.htm

The Bilstein part numbers in the photos are:
Front: F4-BE5-6244-H5
Rear: F4-BE5-6243-H5

As I recall, I had an email exchange with Ron, the service manager at the Fuso dealer in San Diego, about the part numbers for the shocks on Michael's truck. IIRC correctly, there was a difference between his and what we've got on our truck, but I can't recall the details.

[edit: I found the emails with Ron. The shocks were the same as ours, not different. The qualifier I sent Ron was: "Be sure to carefully specify the end connector type when ordering. We had to return and reorder the rears because of that error." ]

image022.jpg

image003.jpg

Last edited:

FG Surfari

Adventurer
Thanks Doug Hackney !

I fitted my Bilstein shocks this evening. They look great, and have transformed the ride of the Fuso.
Everything went smooth as can be, and no surprise, as I believe that these trucks are built to a higher standard than most things out there
Thanks Doug for the parts clarification. You rock !

James

Last edited:

Bajaroad

Adventurer
These shocks didn't fit

Bilstein F4-BE5-6244-H5 did not fit my stock rear 2007 suspension.

Specs:
Part Number: 24-185530
Setting: 5100 Series
*Collapsed Length (IN): 16.14
*Extended Length (IN): 26.16
*Collapsed Length (MM): 410.0
*Extended Length (MM): 664.5
Old Part Number: F4-BE5-6244-H5

With my camper load I am measuring about 16.25" and nearly 1" b/w the rubber stop and the axle.
Anyone find a different shock that fits?

gait

Explorer
Not much help apart from I also couldn't figure how the Bilstein part numbers would fit my standard 2005 FG. Front or rear. Original tired and one leaking oil. I refitted standard from Fuso.

DEFENDERBEAM

strategic command
Brent,

Just curious.

You mentioned the 6244 did not fit your rear, but Doug listed the 6244 as the front shock.

Is you post a typo?

Did ever get it figured out and fitted?

I am looking at buying these for my 2006 SWB.

Thanks.

DEFENDERBEAM

strategic command
Now that I am looking on-line at pricing, it appears Doug may have mixed up the front/rear #'s.

Brent,

What did not fit on the rears? It is a clearance issue with your load setting the chassis too low, and the shock is too tall?

Also, the website I found still lists the exact part numbers to be available as Doug listed?

Bajaroad

Adventurer
Check the numbers I pasted in my last post. You can see the shock's compressed length spec is about the same as the distance I measured b/w the mounts with camper load.....in other words the shock won't compress enough to work. I don't believe Doug's suspension was stock and likely it was taller, which would explain why the shocks fit on his.
I just purchased two Rancho 9000 (adjustable rebound). If they fit I will post the model number and details.

DEFENDERBEAM

strategic command
mine has 18.5" center to center of the top and bottom rear mount. I guess it may do something on mine,but not much. I easily have 2" of up movement with if the timbren was compressed a little.

Bajaroad

Adventurer
Ranchos

I installed Rancho 9000's in the rear today. They fit with roughly 2" of additional compression - I have about 1" before my rubber stops hit the axle, so should be ok. At some point I'd like to add another 0.5" of ride height.

The Rancho part number is RS999118..... spec is 14.360" compression, 22.190" extension.
They are adjustable and I believe the mid-setting is about the same rebound than the Bilsteins.

westyss

Explorer
Check the numbers I pasted in my last post. You can see the shock's compressed length spec is about the same as the distance I measured b/w the mounts with camper load.....in other words the shock won't compress enough to work. I don't believe Doug's suspension was stock and likely it was taller, which would explain why the shocks fit on his.
I just purchased two Rancho 9000 (adjustable rebound). If they fit I will post the model number and details.

"Adjustable rebound" This is what a Fuso's suspension system needs to do, dampen the return rate on a bouncy truck, Brent please do let us know if the Rancho's work out, particularly for longevity.

Mit Fuso

Bilstein shocks

This from a Bilstein design engineer: "Interesting stuff. I hope they are only using the shocks they mentioned on lifted trucks, they would bottom out on a stock Fuso." I took the liberty of sending him a link to this discussion.

westyss

Explorer
This from a Bilstein design engineer: "Interesting stuff. I hope they are only using the shocks they mentioned on lifted trucks, they would bottom out on a stock Fuso." I took the liberty of sending him a link to this discussion.

I am pretty sure bajaroad's truck isnt lifted, if I read your post right that shock will bottom out on a non lifted truck? but I am not sure that Bilstein engineer understands the lack of suspension travel these trucks have in stock form, but would like a link to that discussion too if possible, might be interesting reading. By the way, congrats on the truck purchase!

gait

Explorer
something not quite right or I am missing something. When I measured my standard FG, including the gap to the suspension stop, then compared measurements to the shockie spec, there was simply not enough movement. I didn't get as far as thinking about big bumps. They would bottom out before hitting the stops.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles