Fuso FG 4x4 Custom Expedition Vehicle Build

jetstreamin

Started following your build from the beginning! It's coming along fast and looks great! Was wondering...was the composite box and subframe at ITB designed at the same time to work together or was the composite box designed first and subframe designed by ITB independently after the box was designed?

Also, were there some type of "anchors" embedded in the composite box to allow it to be attached to the subframe? Thanks in advance for any light you shed on this!!

Thanks for your interest, the body was designed with Total Composites based on dimensions i supplied from my truck. The subframe was then designed based on the truck and body drawings by ITB and went through 3 revisions to perfect the design before we entered production. I have to say the process went very well and the body, sub-frame and truck went together without a hitch.

Regarding fixing the body to the subframe there steel extrusions running through the floor of the body to bolt into (see attached drawing).

Incidentally, we have simulate structure running through the rear wall of the body which is going to allow for a custom rear rack to be mounted for max tracks, high lift jack, shovel etc etc......

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-01-17 at 11.32.41 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-01-17 at 11.32.41 AM.png
    168.1 KB · Views: 258
Last edited:

jetstreamin

Passthrough cut in and frames fitted to both the cab and body sides for a good weather seal. Next step is to manufacturer the rubber accordion flexibly tunnel to join the 2 halves.

Attachments

• IMG_2955.jpeg
    IMG_2955.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 333
  • IMG_2954.jpeg
    IMG_2954.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 343
  • IMG_2956.jpeg
    IMG_2956.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 329
  • IMG_2957.jpeg
    IMG_2957.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 321

jetstreamin

More progress on the connecting articulated tunnel, almost there.

Attachments

• 14C91EAD-A0FC-45F3-89B6-0A0BBE411087.jpeg
    14C91EAD-A0FC-45F3-89B6-0A0BBE411087.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 291
  • C2F00D9C-0337-4B96-8415-432E432E5388.jpeg
    C2F00D9C-0337-4B96-8415-432E432E5388.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 299
  • 06FA4E00-D3F3-4B3C-B113-F23A946C90F4.jpeg
    06FA4E00-D3F3-4B3C-B113-F23A946C90F4.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 300

jetstreamin

On the home run now, double weather seal on the passthrough all in place and load clamps fitted. All that is left it to put back all of the cab trim and this baby is ready for pickup!!

Next stop after this will be full suspension makeover, roof rack and bush bars all from Fuso Offroad - https://www.fusooffroad.com

Attachments

• IMG_0413.jpg
    IMG_0413.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 272
  • IMG_0415.jpg
    IMG_0415.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 277
  • IMG_0414.jpg
    IMG_0414.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 278

Wgreenwood

Hey!

Just saw your Fuso build.

This is literally the dream vehicle for my wife and I.

I emailed total composite last week regarding their panels.

I was considering doing this build as a diy but as I’m looking into the details, there are many things out or my scope of knowledge.

Not that I couldn’t figure them out... I’m just not sure I want to spend the time doing so at this point and the fact you have contracted out ITB has my wheels spinning lol

My question for you is, are you doing any of the build your self?

And also, if you don’t mind me asking, how much of the build is ITB doing for you, and what was the associated cost?

I was just looking at ITB website today, and I was thinking of reaching out to them to inquire about the building of a subframe and the composite shell living quarters, and I would handle the rest of the build from there. Like all the electrical, plumbing, heating, cabinetry etc

At this point I’m not sure if this vehicle is possible for us, or if we will be spending a few more years saving for this and sticking with our current vehicle, but reagrdless, it will happen at some point soon.

I’d appreciate any info you have and I’m greatful you took the time to post this thread!

jetstreamin

Hey!

Just saw your Fuso build.

This is literally the dream vehicle for my wife and I.

I emailed total composite last week regarding their panels.

I was considering doing this build as a diy but as I’m looking into the details, there are many things out or my scope of knowledge.

Not that I couldn’t figure them out... I’m just not sure I want to spend the time doing so at this point and the fact you have contracted out ITB has my wheels spinning lol

My question for you is, are you doing any of the build your self?

And also, if you don’t mind me asking, how much of the build is ITB doing for you, and what was the associated cost?

I was just looking at ITB website today, and I was thinking of reaching out to them to inquire about the building of a subframe and the composite shell living quarters, and I would handle the rest of the build from there. Like all the electrical, plumbing, heating, cabinetry etc

At this point I’m not sure if this vehicle is possible for us, or if we will be spending a few more years saving for this and sticking with our current vehicle, but reagrdless, it will happen at some point soon.

I’d appreciate any info you have and I’m grateful you took the time to post this thread!

No worries, you are on the same page as me and have drawn the same conclusions. I did not have the time or skill set to build the positive foundation needed for the truck (i am a web developer not a welder!). Basically where you see the build on this thread is the end of ITB's work. I have to say they have been fantastic to work with and would highly recommend them. I will be installing everything else which in my view is house based - electrical, plumbing, solar, racks, furniture etc etc.. One other reason for getting it Pro built to this stage was insurance and being able to show the vehicle was safe etc etc.. I will shoot you a PM on costs but i can say my overall budget for the whole truck including the purchase of the donor vehicle is around $140,000 CAN.

NYON

No worries, you are on the same page as me and have drawn the same conclusions. I did not have the time or skill set to build the positive foundation needed for the truck (i am a web developer not a welder!). Basically where you see the build on this thread is the end of ITB's work. I have to say they have been fantastic to work with and would highly recommend them. I will be installing everything else which in my view is house based - electrical, plumbing, solar, racks, furniture etc etc.. One other reason for getting it Pro built to this stage was insurance and being able to show the vehicle was safe etc etc.. I will shoot you a PM on costs but i can say my overall budget for the whole truck including the purchase of the donor vehicle is around $140,000 CAN.

Hi Jetstreamin,

Quick favor to ask...could you also let me know about how much ITB asked to do your build? Would be an exercise in putting a number to a dream!! Totally agree with your rationale in ensuring your base build was insurable and safe. Looking forward to the rest of your build!! Thank you in advance!!

DarkBladeRunner

More progress on the connecting articulated tunnel, almost there.
I absolutely LOVE that delail. Would you mind sharing the construction details? I've working on my own pass-through right now and have only 3 inches between cab and camper at one point and this construction method seems to keep the metal frames from sticking out too much.

Keep posting details! I love seeing how others are solving these problems.

jetstreamin

Suspension upgrade and bumper to bumper service learned so much and i have to say the Fuso is very easy to work on regarding servicing with everything very accessible and simple. The new Australian suspension setup from https://www.fusooffroad.com in Canmore Alberta was worth every penny and i can honestly say the difference between night and day compared to the stock Fuso suspension - not only does it improve the ride it also increases the ground clearance by 2" and gives greater travel to the bump stops.

Attachments

• IMG_0605.jpeg
    IMG_0605.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 196
  • IMG_0616.jpeg
    IMG_0616.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 195
  • IMG_0625.jpeg
    IMG_0625.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 195
  • IMG_0669.jpeg
    IMG_0669.jpeg