Fuso FE question

I came across a 1992 Mitsubishi Fuso FE for sale, it has a 4D34 engine, 5-speed trans, about a 10ft reefer box on it, and only 116k miles. The owner states it has blow-by when it's warmed up, which is surprising with such low mileage. My question is, do you think $1500 is a fair price for this and is there decent parts availability for these? I've owned Monteros for the past 6 years or so, and finding parts has always been a bit of a pain, I'm assuming it will be the same for this, but even more difficult. Also, if there is excessive blow-by, will I be able to see signs of it with my thermal camera, colder runs on the exhaust manifold, etc? Is the turbo a common place for these engines to experience blow-by?

kerry

Expedition Leader
$1500 sounds like a steal. The 4d34 has no pcv system, just a breather tube coming out of the valve cover on back left corner of engine. You should be able to see this easily near the starter by crawling underneath. If there's any blowby it will be coming out of that tube with your eye, not a thermal camera. Parts are available at dealers. Tom's Truck in CA is an online supplier of Fuso parts.

Thank you for the reply, the atmosphere vent was open on the valve cover, I think someone removed the tube that extends down the side of the engine. I'm not worried about diagnosing IF there is blowby, that will be fairly easy, I want to try to pinpoint where it's originating, or is it usually rings/pistons on these? You can see the open vent at the of the cover in the picture.

Attachments

• 20210107_145408.jpg
    20210107_145408.jpg
    877.3 KB · Views: 18

kerry

Expedition Leader
If it had bad blowby, I'd expect to see a lot more oil around that vent. I'm not aware of any way in which blowby is caused on a 4d34 other than typical failures like rings or a holed piston.

PKDreamers

Adventurer
That look pretty clean , have you seen it running?
If its got blowby it will be blowing out that opening.
Have you seen/heard it running?

That look pretty clean , have you seen it running?
If its got blowby it will be blowing out that opening.
Have you seen/heard it running?
No, it was sitting unlocked with the key in the ignition though, so I tried to start it. The batteries were low on juice so it only turned over for a second then clicked. I haven't contacted the owner yet to actually take a good look at it, it's a pretty clean little truck, would be nice if I can it for a good price and it didn't need a rebuild.

Attachments

• 20210107_145139.jpg
    20210107_145139.jpg
    519.4 KB · Views: 12

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94