Fuso Expedition truck build in ontario

Darwin

Explorer
Hi all,
we finally secured reasonable insurance for a Fuso and the completed expedition truck. PM me if you are in canada and having challenges getting insurance at something reasonable (ie around 1000-1500/yr vs the first quotes which were 12,000/yr). We now have started down the same path as JETSTREAMING.

We purchased a 2010 FG140 that spent its life as a dump truck, fortunately it was very well cared for and despite being in ontario has very little rust (it was oil sprayed every year). Total composite box panels are currently being shipped from China to Vancouver (thanks Andreas at Total Composites). ITB will be starting the build in June. Prior to then I would love any input as this is the first time we have built an expedition truck. I built a model in SKETCHUP that I am happy to share you want. PM me with your email and I will send it over. I would very much appreciate input on the following:

1. what kind of heater ? diesel is our initial preference. that leads us to webasto dual top (where can we buy these ? does anyone know where to get them serviced if they break ?) or go with Andreas' idea of Planar and a heat exchanger to heat the cabin and hot water. or Truma but I can't figure out of Truma is importing a diesel version ?

2. where should the heater be located ? under the dinette (away from the bed) closer to the cab ? so we don't hear the clicking fuel pump and sound of the heater, or place the heater under the storage area (directly below the bed)

if there are any other builders that would like to connect please feel free to reach out. thanks again for your help :) ...Cameron
Did you ever decide on which direction you are going with as far as space and water heating? I am in the same dilemma, I am curious about the Elgena that Andreas sells, is there a way to heat only water in the summer time? So as not to heat up the cabin also?

Last edited:

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
Did you ever decide on which direction you are going with as far as space and water heating? I am in the same dilemma, I am curious about the Elgena that Andreas sells, is there a way to heat only water in the summer time? So as not to heat up the cabin also?
We are going with a Webasto TSL17 and a marine 6 gallon water heater. I also have a 700 watt 12v DC element for the water heater (1,000 watts of solar). Plan is to have a plate heat exchanger in between the engine cooling circuit and habitat. That way in cold temps the engine heat can be used to keep the habitat warm. For summer I can isolate the water heater with valves and use an aquastat to control the Webasto. These are all still in the plans stage though as I have not gotten to the install point (I have the Webasto, water heater and air heat exchangers though).

Grenadiers

Adventurer
Truma products are sold in the US. We have a Euro install of a Truma Combi E. Propane for the furnace and either propane or electricity for the water heater. Quiet and works great!

Wazak

I've got the Truma 6GE fitted in my LWB Renault Master it's 4kw on gas and 2kw on mains electric which you can combine to get the 6kw we've never had to try that as on Lpg on high it is over powering.
On electric it's understandably not quite as good.
Truma also sell the 6DE Diese Electric in Europe I'm not sure about the States.
We have a 30ltr on-board lpg tank which works out more cost effective than buying prefilled cylinders here in the UK.

DzlToy

Explorer
Corbeau seats are nicely built and comfortable but the only suspension is in the seat cushion you’re sitting on. There is no springs or mechanical suspension other than the seat bottom. I was a bit surprised as I had expected some spring suspension.

In the off road world, specifically the off road racing world, companies such as Corbeau, Mastercraft Safety, PRP, and Recaro offer suspension seats for the likes of rally car racing, Baja/SCORE/BITD style racing, UTV racing and so on. It is presumed that, in a racing application, the seats are fixed in place, no sliders, no tilting backs and that the driver and passenger are both in 4-6 point harnesses. This is required by most sanctioning bodies. A commercial truck style air ride base or Bostrom style sprung seat back, is therefore impossible. The 'suspension' that you get is the webbing woven into the seat bottom, allowing some give without changing the ability of the harness to safely hold you in place in the event of a crash.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior