Fuso Composite Camper - Under Construction

rruff

Explorer
The front will be curved (top and sides), the roof will be flat rather than 3 piece (easier construction), and the new one will be a little bigger.

I still can't decide on the panel construction. The last one was 2.7mm luan skins with pine stringers and foam inside, and an outer layer of polyester resin and glass. Lately I've been looking online at campers where an unknown leak has completely rotted the plywood, like this: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=49207 Not uncommon apparently. I didn't have any issues, but want the new one to last at least 20 years sitting out in the weather. I was planning to use redwood stringers anyway which should be pretty rot resistant. Just ordered some epoxy and glass to see how well it works to glass directly over the foam and stringers, and do away with the outer plywood layer. I had some old epoxy and cloth and tried some small samples, and it seems to work pretty well. I found some cheap epoxy that is probably ok (US composites) and only costs ~$45/gal. Cost for similar stiffness and strength will be about the same as the 3mm Okoume + glass I was planning to use.

I also found a cheaper source for actual structural PE foam for ~$110/sheet (1"), but I'll probably stick with the $18/sheet Foamular 150 from HD, and the stringers spaced 12-16" will be my insurance.

The Artisan

Adventurer
Yeah you and I have talked about that. Best is make your own FRP panels if you don't want to buy premade, use the 2" EPS or XPS 2.5 +. Your build will be fine. As you know my box is panels only with perimeter structure and when I add the poly it will strengthen and seal the entire box...
Like a big yeti cooler you can camp in...
Kevin

jostalli

Observer
Don't use the sink water in your recirculating tank. No matter how many filters and what type you use they will clog. The shower water recirculating idea has been discussed at length on www.sprinter-source.com. The consensus was that nobody was willing to give it a try. I like the idea.

The Artisan

Adventurer
Don't use the sink water in your recirculating tank. No matter how many filters and what type you use they will clog. The shower water recirculating idea has been discussed at length on www.sprinter-source.com. The consensus was that nobody was willing to give it a try. I like the idea.
Maybe have a separate tank for sink and holding tank as its really used for washing dishes but I would wipe them off first then wash. Is it the dish soap that clogs the filters? I don't think I would be out long enough for it to be advantageous to use the reuse system. I do like the idea of using a filter system to purify lake water as well.
Kevin

DzlToy

Explorer
If it can be done with raw sewage and garage waste such as motor oil and radiator coolant, I assure you the grey water going down my sink will not be an issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49otYP9nnkQ

As I noted in another thread, there is no reason to filter out Polio or Cryptosporidia when you don't have those things on your hands or body. Therefore they do not get washed down the drain via showering or hand washing.

Countries such as Singapore, Australia and Namibia, and states such as California, Virginia and New Mexico are already drinking recycled water, demonstrating that purified wastewater can be safe and clean, and help ease water shortages. Of course, these facilities operate on a large scale, but there is also much more to filter as well. The technology is sound and no need to re-invent the wheel. Just copy what the environmental groups, natural disaster suppliers and militaries around the world have been doing for decades.

I own a 0.1 Micron (Absolute) as well as a 0.02 Micron (Absolute) water filter that I use for back packing and hiking. Both are small enough to fit in your pocket. With a vehicle platform and a bit of research, a proper recycling system should not be difficult to contstruct using COTS technologies.

EDIT: pre-washing of your hands to remove grease from a car repair for example, is obviously a wise decision. I only use Dr. Bronners Castille soap, which is safe and non-toxic. A mate of mine uses it instead of toothpaste. Take a bite out of your Dial soap and let me know how it works out for you. Billions of dollars are spent each year making water safe to drink or discharge into local streams and rivers. There is no reason you can't take advatange of that tech.

The Artisan

Adventurer
Yep we use Bronners peppermint Castille as well. As you know I was looking at that 12v 3 cartridge, UV light system, which I think is still a good solution for the filtering.
Kevin

Darwin

Explorer
Any updates? are you making these and selling them to the public? If so, do you have a website?

The Artisan

Adventurer
Everything is in process in the coming months, it will be compacttraveler.com, Built to spec insulated shells using outbound windows and doors to completed builds less wiring or can have a cert elec wire it.
Kevin

The Artisan

Adventurer
Been awhile since I posted updates but I am slowly starting back on the project. Slowly gathering parts to wrap it up. Poly sprayer coming in a few months. Will be able to match any color spectrum color code. 125mill smooth with shore hardness 70-80. I am leaning to market to the DIYer. Well built insulated shells with a door. Windows can be added by the end user. Will do complete builds as well. Hardshell lifting pods and canvas popup units will be offered down the road.
IG @compositepods
Kevin

Last edited:

The Artisan

Adventurer
^ Will you be a RVIA certified builder?

Looking into it and spoke to them, but they want it completed. I am selling shells that can be used as a guest home or a portable pod. It would be more of a hybrid tiny home.
Kevin

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94