Fuso Canter tyres recommandation

Hi, just needed some recommendation for FGB71 Canter tyres, I have single tyres for the rear.

The "new" truck I have does not come with a spare wheel, so perhaps someone can point to a source of wheel supply in NSW would be great.

cheers

cameronsturgess

be sure to get a tire with the right load rating.. we started with Toyo' rated at 124... replaced them when we finished the build and found them overloaded.. replaced them with patriots 131 load rating.. should have bought the patriots the first time round. as ski freak said, would help to know the rim size..

Sorry guys, it was a remiss of me not to give more details.

I now have them, the tyres I have at the moment are TOYO 608Z 285/70R19.5. I am looking for a spare wheel possibly with either the same tire or a new type of ALL Terrain tyres better suited for touring into the outback. I previously used MT tyres on my Landcruisers, but this time, I thought AT will do as I am not looking at doing weekend rock climbing etc.

Any recommendation would be welcome.

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
I run Michelin XDE2+, 305/70R19.5 on the OKA on 8 1/4"wide rims although many run them on 7 1/2" rims OK. I expect yours are 8 1/4".
Huge load rating of 137 (3075kg at 115psi), all steel construction and bag out well in the sand.
I run them at around 60-65psi rear and 45psi front on the highway, depending on weight.
Cost a tad over $500 each (plus fitting), but I can get 80,000km and I believe they also provide fuel consumption savings.
I reckon they are the best choice.
This comes from Michelin data.
Tyre pressure chart.jpg
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

Big Rudy

These, Michelin XDE2+, 305/70R19.5 appear to be drive tires. Just wondering what your steering experience is on the highway?

westyss

Explorer
One thing to keep in mind with the XDE2+ is that they are a directional tire as in they cant easily be rotated from front to back, they are a great tire though and will go a long way compared to Toyos, I always heard things are dearer in Australia but here in Canada we will pay $650 + for those tires.

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
No problem swapping from front to back on the same side and they can happily rotate in the wrong direction after 10,000km, but I avoid that.
Yes, quite expensive, but typically return 80,000km and tour operators report 100,000km.
I reckon they return better fuel economy than others too and that adds up fast.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

Big Rudy

With those who have experience with both the Toyos and Michelin, which one would you say perform better with lower PSI?

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
At low pressures, heat build up is the enemy. The thicker the sidewall, the greater the heat generation, especially when the pressure is low.
The Michelins have a relatively thin sidewall with a single steel ply.
I suggest that this keeps them cooler than other constructions.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

westyss

Explorer
The Michelin’s aired down better then the Toyos, I had the front tires down to 19psi at one time! I agree with Peter it seems like the sidewalks are softer than the Toyos but that also concerned me a bit because the Michelin’s bulged out and I was constantly concerned about tagging the bulge part on a stick or sharp root but that never happened, sharp rock etc didn’t do any damage just marked the sidewall a bit.
Why would the Michelin’s be directional? The tread seems to not be different?

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
Why would the Michelin’s be directional? The tread seems to not be different?
The tread blocks are not vertical. The lean forward (I think?). They should not be used rolling in the wrong direction for the first part of their life (50% according to Michelin, but I believe 10,000km), otherwise they will wear badly, make excessive noise and will be adversely affected for the rest of the tyre life.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke