blackduck

Explorer
Alan whats going on
you lost interest in the project truck
or have you finally decided you cant face beige anymore

its a sad when when a build like this is found on page 5

alan

Explorer
I'm still here:) just put the injection pump back on after having it set correctly for the turbo, finishing off a few odds and ends, mudflaps mirrors etc, back on the dyno may be tomorrow to see the results, also we have been busy with new product development for Canters so stay tuned for new products they are a first!!

canter tourer

Adventurer
I'm still here:) just put the injection pump back on after having it set correctly for the turbo, finishing off a few odds and ends, mudflaps mirrors etc, back on the dyno may be tomorrow to see the results, also we have been busy with new product development for Canters so stay tuned for new products they are a first!!
Now there's a tease if I've ever read one, staying tuned!

alan

Explorer
Well we got it back on the dyno today after the pump was moded to suit the turbo, the first run 70 kw's but still running very lean fuel ratio was 32.1 ex temp 300c so we wound the pump adjustment screw in 2 turns, another power run and we achieved 94kw's and 700nm of torgue (crazy) ex temp went up to 500c but the fuel ratio only came down to 27.1 still very lean, another 1/2 a turn on the pump achieved nothing, the pump is maxed out so we backed it off 1/2 a turn and will leave it at this, max boost was 1.2 bar as we increased the fuel the boost went up, the first run had .7 bar a lift pump may help the pump deliver more fuel but thats for another day, we held it at 56kmh for a minute fully loaded and achieved 100kw and a constant 700nm max ex temp 500c.
The motor has the potential of an easy 130kw's at the 35" wheels and who knows how much torque! with the correct fuel delivery.

alan

Explorer
With that amount of torque you should have a very capable rock crawler! :Wow1:

taking off in third gear is no effort at all:) the big thing with diesels is, boost is all very well but unless you can get the fuel in to match the air nothing will happen, normal a/f ratio should be 14.5:1, over the last few weeks we have dynoed several diesels toyota's etc and they all run lean, hence the improvement gained by after market chips which increase fuel either by rail pressure or injection time duration.

chosen

Observer
Many have said it, but it needs to be said again... very high quality build up and lots of patience to get it done over such a long period! Looking forward to the camper that will sit on it.

Flys Lo

Adventurer
Do you know what size plungers the pump has? I assume its a Denso?
Also, I assume you haven't wastegated the turbo (yet?)

I don't know if I'd want a diesel to last long at a 14.5 AFR :Wow1:
My F250 currently is running 18:1 - has a very light haze at WOT, and 330kW/1360Nm at rear 35", a touch more boost than you (1.8BAR) and capacity.

On edit: Thought that you might be talking about an indirect injection diesel running 14.5 (TD42t/OM617/1HZ and the like) - which some people do, and they seem to run acceptable EGT's. A direct injection diesel I certainly wouldn't however.

Last edited:

alan

Explorer
Hi Adrian,
Not sure what size plungers are in the pump, but i would be happy if i could get down to 18.1 like your ford, yeep no waste gate no need at the moment.

alan

Explorer
a new product i have just received shipment of, recovery tracks to suit larger off road vehicles as in Fuso's Isuzu's Unimogs etc the size is 400mm wide and 1500mm long:smiley_drive:

Flys Lo

Adventurer
Hi Adrian,
Not sure what size plungers are in the pump, but i would be happy if i could get down to 18.1 like your ford, yeep no waste gate no need at the moment.
I am not overly familiar with the Mitsubishi engines, but I know similar Gen Isuzu's (4BD1T) had 9.5 mm plungers and are capable of delivering 180cc of fuel. Enough for about 250hp.

So assuming the pumps are the same as the Isuzu's, I am guessing that you can get more fuel. I am not sure if your pump has a Boost Compensator or an Aneroid.
Anyway, this might be a good thread (again, Isuzu based) to read if you are chasing more power: http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/showthread.php?1035-more-power-from-a-4bt1t-2t

Hoddo0

Hi Alan
It's been a while since I last checked the progress of your mammoth project - mate it's coming along very nicely indeed.
Love those wheels - very jello (but same tyres I use) - does wonders for correcting the speedo calibration (2900rpm for an accurate 100Km/hr).
Like SkiFreak, I have both done the Steinbouer chip mod to my FG84 and I'm more than impressed.
Hoddo

alan

Explorer
Good to see the post up again:)

It's a slow process at the moment just can't find the time, but it will get done!
I am looking at getting new crown wheel and pinions made to change the diff gearing.

Hi Alan
It's been a while since I last checked the progress of your mammoth project - mate it's coming along very nicely indeed.
Love those wheels - very jello (but same tyres I use) - does wonders for correcting the speedo calibration (2900rpm for an accurate 100Km/hr).
Like SkiFreak, I have both done the Steinbouer chip mod to my FG84 and I'm more than impressed.
Hoddo

DzlToy

Explorer
I have a set of Ford F-350 Superduty axles from a leaf sprung truck (2004) that are a perfect fit for the Fuso FE trucks. You would need to check on the FG, but that would give you multiple wheel options, as well as numerous gear ratio and locker choices, neither of which are available with the Canter/FG axles.

You should be able to find them from any dismantler or wrecking yard for about 1000 bucks for a set. I am guessing this is much cheaper than having a one off ring and pinion gearset made to your spec.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior