FUSO 4x4 man trans - test engine brake parked/moving (check brake shoe thickness)

voo_pah

Was looking at FUSO videos today. Noticed that all of them showing the exhaust brake going from disengaged to engaged
would increase the engine rpm. I can see value for this in a stationary non-moving position (engine warm-up). Under what
conditions would you engage the engine exhaust break if you were in motion? As it appears that engaging the engine
exhaust brake would decrease your fuel economy (put an additional load on the engine while in motion).

Also as I read that fuso 4x4s use front drum brakes - can a kind sole forward me an ecopy of the doc that tells how to
measure brake shoe thickness without having to remove the wheels/drums?

Deep pockets and patience needed for a 4x4 fuso (lots to learn)....

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
The engine brake automatically cuts out when you use the accelerator, or are out of gear. You only use the engine brake for, well, braking.

The engine brake also functions as an engine heater. Set your rpms to 1400 rpm and engage the engine heater, the brake will come on and kick out automatically when the motor reaches operating temperature.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Under what
conditions would you engage the engine exhaust break if you were in motion?

Exhaust brakes are used on pretty much all semi tractors and many medium duty commercial diesel trucks.

They work by closing down the exhaust (restricting the fuel and air flow) and turning the engine into a giant air compressor which is driven by the momentum of the vehicle.

With the exhaust brake turned on, when you let off the throttle, the exhaust brake engages and goes to work choking off the engine and slowing the vehicle down.

Going downhill with a heavy load, using a low gear, the exhaust brake can do much of the work, saving the mechanical brakes from overheating, fading and/or failing.

As it appears that engaging the engine
exhaust brake would decrease your fuel economy (put an additional load on the engine while in motion).

Many of the trucks I drive every day have miles per gallon gauges. Downhill using exhaust brake I regularly see those guages hit "99.9 mpg", which is as high as they go.

Engaging the exhaust brake isn't what increases the RPM, the weight of the vehicle pushing forward is what increases the RPM. That consumes almost no fuel.

Most of the big trucks that have cruise control, the cruise control won't switch on if the exhaust brake is turned on. That's because the cruise control itself turns on the exhaust brake when you turn the cruise control on.

You can turn on the cruise control on big trucks, and even parked and out of gear you can push the "accel" button on the cruise control. Since you aren't moving, all this does is set the throttle to a pre-set RPM (usually around 700-1000 RPM depending on the truck) to warm up the engine and also to build up pressure for the air brake system.

(This also turns off the 5-minute anti-idle timer.)

So parked, cruise turned on and holding the engine at high idle, the exhaust brake is turned on and the indicator light is lit.

But the exhaust brake is not actually engaged, because the truck is not decelerating.

Not sure how the Fuso works, but most commercial trucks work like that.

Last edited:

westyss

Explorer
Not sure if all these trucks are the same but on mine there are two distinct switches used for separate reasons, one on the dash on the right side is the engine warm up switch, turn it on and the engine will warm up faster and once warm will automatically turn off. This switch sets the idle up around 100 rpm. Once I start driving this switch is turned off.

The engine vacuum brake is actuated when the right hand lever mounted on the steering wheel is pushed forward, this is not supposed to remain in the on position all the time even though it will turn off automatically with accelerator or clutch pedal depressed. The manual states to not drive with it on but to use it for additional braking, if left on I guess when you hit a bump or let up on the accelerator a bit it will turn on the vac brake inadvertently which can reduce MPG.

The vac brake is only effective down to maybe 12-1400 RPM.

Nomad1

Observer
This is great info as I want to get a fuso and was wondering if they had engine braking or not now I know they do another plus to get one now...

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
This is great info as I want to get a fuso and was wondering if they had engine braking or not now I know they do another plus to get one now...

The drum brakes are not exactly overpowering - you will find you use the exhaust brake a lot. Means that the brake shoes last a long time though! :)

voo_pah

Is there a way to check the thickness of the material on the brake shoe on a fuso 4x4 with out having to pull 4 tires and brake drums?

PKDreamers

Adventurer
Yes each backing plate has two rubber plugs that can be puled off, with a torch you will be able to see the brake shoe. FG649.

Aussie Iron

Explorer
Is there a way to check the thickness of the material on the brake shoe on a fuso 4x4 with out having to pull 4 tires and brake drums?

I believe that the little rubber plug that you pull to inspect the linings is the same on all Canters.

Dan.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94