Fuso 140FG box size selection

I am reposting this message in what I was informed was the correct forum

I am outfitting a 2007 FG140 with a 112 in wheelbase. I am considering mounting an expando van box of a military 5 ton truck. They were built in the 1980 and expand from about a 7ft by 14 ft to a 14ft by 14 ft footprint. They weigh in around 4500lbs. Any thoughts out there on the feasibility of this? My plan is to upgrade the suspension and run super singles. Original specs list GCWR as 17,045lbs with a Max body payload capacity of 8208lbs. With these numbers I don't believe I'm over taxing my rig however I know there are more experienced builders out there. Any advice, comments, ideas appreciated.

dlh62c

Explorer
Welcome to the forum.

Sounds like a plan. When you consider the width of a bed, the length of a dinette and the size of a shower stall, fourteen feet, in length, is as short as you’ll want to go.

Mitsubishi used to have Body Builder Guides/Directives that went back several years. Looks like they removed the older ones from their site.

Last edited:

DzlToy

Explorer
Installing a 4500 pound box on back of a small medium duty cabover truck is a terrible idea.

Take a page out of Lotus' book and, "add lightness".

Composite camper boxes in the 400 - 500 pound range are easily constructed DIY. All in with furniture, bedding, electronics and some water, you may triple or even quadruple that number.

4500 pounds is absurd, IMO and will have deleterious effects on the handling and longevity of your chosen platform. A FG won't get out of its own way stock and empty. Add a heavy box, large tires and additional water and fuel required for a long journey and you have a disaster waiting to happen.

skippythedog

Observer
I am reposting this message in what I was informed was the correct forum

I am outfitting a 2007 FG140 with a 112 in wheelbase. I am considering mounting an expando van box of a military 5 ton truck. They were built in the 1980 and expand from about a 7ft by 14 ft to a 14ft by 14 ft footprint. They weigh in around 4500lbs. Any thoughts out there on the feasibility of this? My plan is to upgrade the suspension and run super singles. Original specs list GCWR as 17,045lbs with a Max body payload capacity of 8208lbs. With these numbers I don't believe I'm over taxing my rig however I know there are more experienced builders out there. Any advice, comments, ideas appreciated.

I have an 07...and have the Body Builders Manual....got it, along with Service Manual on CD from Ebay....I'm not great with big files but could try to send it if you need it.......What is the designation for the military shelter? At one point, I considered mounting a Gichner S-280 on my truck but bought a Gichner S-250 instead and ended up not using it but instead just "roughing it" in the bed under an army style canvas to preserve the utility of the truck (dump bed, little crane in the back etc..)

kerry

Expedition Leader
My 99 FG has gross weight rating of 12,000lbs and later US models were rated at 14,000lbs I believe. Where are you getting the 17,XXX number? I have a Northstar TS1000 with a dry weight of 1800 lbs, plus the weight of a service body on my truck. Just under 12,000lbs total wet. I wouldn't consider putting much more than that on my truck.

kerry

Expedition Leader
Oops. GVWR is 14k lbs. GCWR is 17xxx lbs. You need to use the GVWR for total weight of the truck and camper as the GCWR includes a trailer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles