Fully Electric F150 Tows a Train

chadwicksavage

Adventurer
Just came across this article on Twitter with a fully electric f150 towing a train estimated at around 1 million lbs. is this a game changer? I know ford invested like 500 million into Rivian which expo had an article on not too long ago. Thoughts?

ultraclyde

Observer
Towing the train is just a stunt. We all know that electric motors make tons of torque - that's why they use them in...uh...trains. The rest of the "prototype" could built any way they need to to roll a train. You could probably do it with any HD truck on the road today, at least for a little bit

Will the electric F150 be a game changer? Well, it could be. The first really well developed, usable electric truck WILL be a game changer. FoMoCo is certainly in a position to be that guy, assuming they've done the work to get it right. But it could also be Rivian. Or someone else. But the bottom line is it WILL happen sometime, and I think it will be a major game changer when SOMEONE gets it right.

RoyJ

Adventurer
With enough gearing an ballast, my 16hp tractor can tow a train. Nothing to see here...

Unimogs have been towing multiple train cars since the 60's 404s.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
For the typical Dad that needs a vehicle that can economically do local errands, kid schlepping etc then also as pointed out get loaded up for a back country trip. The modern plugin hybrid with batteries stashed under the floor offers an interesting option. You get local EV trips, lots of torque on long trips/off road and sizable mileage improvements.
Full EV is more of a fleet thing on a fixed typical daily range/route etc.

I would love to get two cars in one. EV for typical local daily use and powerful xcountry rig for trips. Right now I have a Subaru for local stuff and my old Sequoia for trips. I’d like to get one vehicle thats good at both!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles