Fully built out LMTV with habitat -- $40k

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
They can go for $30k, serviced, painted, and inspected. With low miles and new tires.

You'll find plenty of people got one cheaper, but the headaches they list........you need to put a price on that. You can't simply tow one of these things too easy.

Ovrlnd Rd

Adventurer
Just because you pay more through a dealer doesn't mean you're not getting a headache. These trucks tend to be an electrical nightmare that can pop up at any time and I imagine Midwest Military's warranty stops at the end of their driveway so paying them $20k more than they paid the government just to say it runs and drives isn't worth it. If you can't work on a military vehicle by yourself then you really shouldn't own one. And you can easily tow one you just can't CHEAPLY tow one.

TimCasa

Holding tanks look subject to freezing based on their location.
If you're commenting about the tanks between the axles (at the subframe level), those are air tanks used for the hydraulic brake system, and potentially its air inflation/deflation system (if equipped).

Coachgeo

Explorer
If he paid $20k for the base truck he bought on the retail market and paid too much. I sold mine with new tires, new cargo cover, and air conditioning for $14k.
not true....... sorta...... matters how long ago .. 5 years ago your right..... but even just year and a half to two years ago... 20 grand for one gone thru after auction is not unheard off.

Ovrlnd Rd

Adventurer
not true....... sorta...... matters how long ago .. 5 years ago your right..... but even just year and a half to two years ago... 20 grand for one gone thru after auction is not unheard off.

18 Months ago and I had it for sale for over 6 months. It was one of the nicer ones out there at the time too.

DonkeeBoy

At GovPlanet you can get the truck for $6-8k and the trailer for under $2k so let's say $10k for the combo. That leaves $30k to build out the box and paint the truck and still break even selling it. Personally I think it's a tad overpriced for something that can only do 58 mph on flat ground (it's governed at that speed) and barely do 45 mph on a slight grade (pulling the trailer will drop both of those speeds). Having owned a LMTV and multiple other military vehicles I know they're great fun to play with as long as you don't have to drive any distance with one.
Sure you can pick one up for that much, but then your going to be dumping 20k into it getting it reliable enough to overland. Seen quite a few builds where people thought they were getting a capable rig for cheap then sold it after they found out how much work it needed. That's why you can't find one second hand after gov planet for 6-8k.

ksrimoungchanh

It's overpriced if you have the time/space/skill/tools to do the build yourself. I followed up with the seller and he said he got the truck for $20k, no major repairs needed/done only maintenance, $22k into the habitat - claims he put in 800 hours labor and this is is 6th build. He just turned 77 and got scared when it came time to actually start traveling alone. Who knows... could be true. Weird that he has that many builds under his belt and hasn't done any traveling though.

I know people who dreamed their whole life.. then they die.. I think everyone I know just work, take a break on weekends to dream/tinker, then go back to work till retirement.. they tinker and dream the whole way to retirement..

poor guy.. I can understand that..

ksrimoungchanh

Just because you pay more through a dealer doesn't mean you're not getting a headache. These trucks tend to be an electrical nightmare that can pop up at any time and I imagine Midwest Military's warranty stops at the end of their driveway so paying them $20k more than they paid the government just to say it runs and drives isn't worth it. If you can't work on a military vehicle by yourself then you really shouldn't own one. And you can easily tow one you just can't CHEAPLY tow one.

You can tow easily and cheap.. just make sure your buddies have a MTV also... and have some bbq/beer around.

ksrimoungchanh

Sure you can pick one up for that much, but then your going to be dumping 20k into it getting it reliable enough to overland. Seen quite a few builds where people thought they were getting a capable rig for cheap then sold it after they found out how much work it needed. That's why you can't find one second hand after gov planet for 6-8k.

BINGO.. I posted mine up.. it was a hobby, now it is like my Ariel Atom.. I still have it, but only drive it maybe a few 100 miles a year... buyers are specific, so make sure when you purchase, you are good with keeping it or having these value discussion or even just giving it to a neighbor farmer. I have 2, not in a rush to sell, just using it for slow build, but also using it to take out with friends as time permits. Since there is always something I want to do to it, it keeps me looking busy so my honey do's list stay short.. my wife thinks I am busy all the time climbing around on the truck with friends.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles