Full timing in an expedition camper.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
AFSOC, I'd say you're in the LZ! I agree, get a used rig that won't clean you out to try it first, if you don't you can sell out and won't get hurt. Might be even better to rent, I see here on this forum we have a member renting Expo rigs (4x4 Vans) might find some others and take those out for a week. I'd say you have it figured out, you don't have HALO jumps on your third time up!
Seems I could be in an inexpensive rig, sit in my camp chair, imagine that EarthRoamer was parked behind me as I watched the fire and see how that reality might be.

Other quick points, unless you have been actively out there, the romance of living on the road will fade faster as you get older. I slowed down, I'm not hiking up that mountain anymore, I'll go if I can ride. I really don't want to chop firewood.

The other thing is we can't be out there forever, not really. Retirees have so much time with good health and able bodied to chop that wood even if we don't want to, someday we won't be able to. I sure wouldn't sell my home to buy a toy. Just saying plan on going out and have a plan to come home too. I don't like the idea of renting in my old age, a home provides a lot of security for the soul.

Thank you for the comment Hadley. I didn't realize I said anything worth filing away (LOL). To solve many of those issues I mentioned I thought moving in with my son in the DFW area (on paper) would work for me, having one person to contact who could get a hold of you and who could read the mail would be a plus. ;)

haven, excellent points and I've seen your wisdom on the subject before, very well said and true, as usual. Very good points about the private space and time off too, the last thing you want is one resenting the other for getting them stuck someplace.

adam88

Explorer
One of our favorite blogs has been Drive Nacho Drive (www.drivenachodrive.com) as a couple in their late 20's/early 30's travels around the world in a small westfalia pop-up. If they can travel around the world in that, then I believe anything is possible. Everyone has different comfort levels though. Some people want a giant class A, others are fine with tents in the dirt.

Zybane

Thread revival! One of the best threads I've seen on the forum. Would be interesting to see if anyone else has more good insight or stories four years later.

LovinPSDs

Adventurer
I've been running this scenario through my head a bunch and the conclusion I've landed at is a used 30-35ft diesel pusher with a JKU/Habitat in tow. This allows for some "extended" exploring depending on the build out of the JKU, but lets you come back to a amenity filled home base. All of this can be had for way under the cost of a true "expedition ready" vehicle and if you really wanted to think about it, there would be 100-250k left over which you could use to even buy some small plots of property around the country if you liked. Now this setup would not allow round the world travel obviously but it would be a pretty solid North American setup.. atleast I think.

Zybane

I've been running this scenario through my head a bunch and the conclusion I've landed at is a used 30-35ft diesel pusher with a JKU/Habitat in tow. This allows for some "extended" exploring depending on the build out of the JKU, but lets you come back to a amenity filled home base. All of this can be had for way under the cost of a true "expedition ready" vehicle and if you really wanted to think about it, there would be 100-250k left over which you could use to even buy some small plots of property around the country if you liked. Now this setup would not allow round the world travel obviously but it would be a pretty solid North American setup.. atleast I think.

This is pretty much what I'm doing now. 30 foot Airstream, towed by a Power Wagon with a motorcycle and ATV on the back. The Airstream of course being at the "base camp/RV park", then use the Power Wagon to explore out. The Power Wagon alone can handle 9 out of 10 trails, then the ATV can handle the last bit. Or just hike.

The problem with the "base camp" idea, is your still left reserving months in advance for RV parks (and the recurring costs), driving back and forth to your base camp every night, dealing with RV camp neighbors, etc. Unless you boondock. But larger rigs can only really boondock in desert areas as logging/forest roads are enough to stop large rigs right away.

On the flip side an expedition vehicle will cost about twice as much as a base camp RV and off-road vehicle combo, be about 1/3rd the living space, but your living space would be wherever you could get it. The other downside is an expedition vehicle won't be able to go places my Power Wagon and ATV could go. Maybe it could get close with something like a Ubco 2x2 on the back.

RV parks are getting more and more crowded. I see expedition vehicle sales increasing and prices eventually falling once they move out of very low volume production.

Zybane

I came across this thread again when thinking about low-Earth orbit satellite internet. It is going to drastically change the game when it comes to remote travel with expedition vehicles and sailing the oceans. Fast internet basically anywhere in the world. Imagine streaming a 4K movie or clear video chatting in almost real time with friends/family while you are in the middle of Mongolia in an expedition vehicle or in the middle of the South Pacific on a sail boat. Crazy stuff!

BajaSurfRig

@Zybane how far out is the low-earth orbit satellite internet that you speak of. That would make working online while on the move a lot easier.

Zybane

Starlink satellites are only 340 miles above the surface, so very low delay compared to traditional satellite internet.

GrouchyNegativeKagu-size_restricted.gif

Badmiker

Starlink satellites are only 340 miles above the surface, so very low delay compared to traditional satellite internet.

I was thinking that BajaSurfRig was asking about timing. As in how many years in the future are we looking until this is a reality...

loup407

Adventurer
We full timed in our Earthroamer for a year, as well as a few other multi-month trips. We were able to visit places like the Arizona Strip, the Lost Coast, the Mojave and a bunch of places that would have been tough in a standard RV. The biggest hassle was sorting out stuff like banking, mail, etc. We had the TV removed from the camper, but did install a cellular router, as I'm still working. I'd be happy to answer any questions about our experience.

smurf40

Observer
Hi all. We are headed off to South America soon to live full time (8 months or so) in our expedition truck. I was back and forth on what to get for at least 10 years (owning and using several different options during that time) In my mind a base camp set up (ie road going home of some sort and 4x4 tow vehicle) only works if you intend on staying in North America / Mexico. As soon as you leave NA, issues will arise in a few areas.

Borders: At each border you need to temporarily import your vehicle to that new country. Issue is, often you can only import one vehicle on your name - not even an extra motorcycle) so if you have the second vehicle in your spouses name you are ok, but it will take twice as long and cost twice as much. Plus the extra insurance.

Roads: As for road quality, it varies. South America would certainly beat a recreational vehicle up. Don’t get me wrong, it’s totally do able in any car, just limits where you can tour.

Security: Shipping your vehicle is risky business. The ports and ship crew are all known to borrow items from trucks / campers. Being able to lock up securely is huge. RV door locks, hatches and windows are not exactly secure. Ive followed several people who ended up with an empty class C in Colombia.

Seasons. You are somewhat limited by seasons. Snow in a high mountain Andes pass in a 30’ RV sounds challenging.

Short of it, I decided after many trips and many years of research, the expedition truck was the right call for a truck I plan on using internationally and locally for the next 25 years God willing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94