Full-time living, hard-side vs pop-top question

Roam.Wild

So we are in the planning stages of living full time in a truck camper in 2023 ('17 f-250 Super Duty) and are constantly going back and forth on the hard side vs pop-top. Does anyone have any experience living in both, and what are your insights? The internet is full of comments leaning one way or the other.

We will be mainly sticking to FS and BLM roads, so pretty manicured gravel/dirt, with mostly off-gird camp sites. We aren't going to be doing any serious "off-roading" and if we do, its pretty easy to take off the camper and go do some runs.

We are looking at the Palomino Backpack HS-1803 (or maybe the Bundutec comparable) and the Palomino Backpack SS-1251 for reference. We need to have a bathroom and room for both of us to work, so the HS-1803 is looking like the front runner, but the lower center of gravity for the soft side and lower top once its down, is really nice too for some tighter trails.

Why isn't there any where we can rent one for a week so we can see =[

Last edited:

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
We’ve owned thru the years 3 different hard sided truck campers 3 different pop ups.

We found that the pop ups are much nicer to drive on forest roads as they have a lower roof, so overhanging branches aren’t as big a threat for damaging your rig. The side to side sway problem with the lower roof on pop ups is less of an issue too, so driving on winding road can be more enjoyable. Most pop ups cost you any upper cabinet storage, but in trade they often have great under the upper bed storage.

We’ve ”lived“ in a 10‘ pop up with a full bath for one 3 month trip as well as used hard sided campers for several 3-4 month trips. In warmer weather we liked the great ventilation in the pop up (none of our rigs had an a/c unit).

Last edited:

Rando

Explorer
I have only had a pop-ups, so I can't compare, but unless you plan on chasing warmer weather I am not sure a pop up is a great tool for the job. In the winter it takes a lot of propane to keep them warm, and in the damper parts of the country condensation on the lightly insulated soft walls can be an issue.

I would also suggest that if you are really considering living out of one of these a Palamino would not be a good choice. Even the 'high quality' pop up campers (Four Wheel Camper, Hallmark, Alaskan etc) are not built all that well. The consensus is that the low end campers (ie Palamino) are just barely adequate for weekend warrior use, and would not hold up well to full time use. There is a reason they are half the price of anyone else. You would likely do better to find a used higher end camper that has had the bugs worked out. If you are considering true 4 season use, and Alaskan may be a good hardside/pop-up compromise.

heinphoto

Not sure what your budget is, but if you are planning to live in the camper full time, you should probably at least consider a flatbed camper. The floorplan is much more open than a slide-in, which can make a big difference in livability. They also tend to have a lot more storage space available both inside the camper and in the flatbed itself.

-Scott

billiebob

I've only done hard sided full on campers. I love them for the security, water tightness, dust proof seal and zero setup, packup.

But the big plus I see after a few years on web sites like this is the ventilation, sleeping in a "tent" offers cross ventilation unlike any hard side fixed roof camper. If you build a hard on camper with massive windows, screens you will get the ventilation.

Heres my Square Drop, I always sleep with 1 door open, often 2 doors open.

DSCN1471.jpg

Even driving on pavement, hard-sided truck campers are not particularly enjoyable, particularly in wind. As soon as you leave the pavement, they tend to be a pain. In cold weather and storms, they are the best. You really have to decide how much cold/stormy camping you plan on doing and whether the hard-sided option is worth the trade-offs.

I agree with the above sentiment that Palomino is not the direction to go.

rruff

Explorer
So we are in the planning stages of living full time in a truck camper in 2023 ('17 f-250 Super Duty)
...We will be mainly sticking to FS and BLM roads
...We are looking at the Palomino Backpack HS-1803 (or maybe the Bundutec comparable) and the Palomino Backpack SS-1251 for reference. We need to have a bathroom and room for both of us to work

Full time... two people working... 2 years to plan/build.

First I don't see the point of a popup for your use. And... I'd build a dedicated rig that meets all your requirements. Sounds like offroad capability isn't a high priority, which makes a van attractive, like a AWD (or even 2wd) Transit. The cutaway or cab-chassis is >$10k cheaper than a high roof, which makes ~$20k box less expensive. It would be much more solid than a cheap camper.

Note that Victorian's rig has a 90" interior height, so it's a good foot taller than most.

img_6395-jpg.599873

You can get 2" lifts for these and fit larger tires to improve ground clearance.

TI8A5061_1_1024x1024.jpg

ripperj

Explorer
I have owned three Popup truck campers over the years and I found that putting the top for a quick stop(to make coffee, lunch or use the bathroom) is a pain in the rear.
Sure it’s easy, but it takes time and it’s very obvious when you do it- certainly not a problem in the sticks, but if you are cruising through a town it’s different.

As mentioned above it’s not very insulated or secure (bears or disreputable people)

I wouldn’t want to live in one.

That said I currently have one because I live in a house :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

hurc85

I wrestled with this question a couple years ago as we planned our build. Our plan was to finish up work last fall and start a year of travel in central/South America so that’s the scenario we based our choices on. We went to two overland expos and looked at a lot of campers. We ended up going with a pop-up because it offered a decent compromise between keeping a low profile for transport and gave a decent amount of space. We also found that the airflow was awesome in the heat when we tried a couple out in AZ. We went with Bundutec because they offered the best value for money by far. Their build quality is far superior to palomino and the cost is not really that much more. Plus Rory and Jenn are willing to work with you on a lot of customization which you don’t get with many companies. So we ordered a”Free” flatbed model last August and picked it up this April.
A lot of borders were shut down last fall so our trip got put on hold and an opportunity to work in Alaska fell into our laps so we headed up here shortly after picking up our camper. We’re living in it full time right now and having a pop up while driving the Alcan on our way up here was awesome. We hit some 50 mph winds through the Yukon and the lower profile definitely helped. I passed a f-350 with a big artic fox strapped to it and he had a hell of a time keeping in his lane because of the wind. The downside is that we have to put the top down when we leave in case the bears get curious and rambunctious while we’re gone. It’s not a big deal for us because bundutec uses an electric Roof that raises and lowers in 20 sec. For now we love the pop up, I’ll let you know if that changes when winter hits!

Roam.Wild

Full time... two people working... 2 years to plan/build.

First I don't see the point of a popup for your use. And... I'd build a dedicated rig that meets all your requirements. Sounds like offroad capability isn't a high priority, which makes a van attractive, like a AWD (or even 2wd) Transit. The cutaway or cab-chassis is >$10k cheaper than a high roof, which makes ~$20k box less expensive. It would be much more solid than a cheap camper.

Note that Victorian's rig has a 90" interior height, so it's a good foot taller than most.

A cutaway AWD transit is $30k before even adding on the camper portion which is another $50k from Total Composites, way out of budget. Also most of the vans we looked at (Sprinters and Promasters) didnt have bathrooms, with is a must have. I'm a full time worker and a full time masters student, I have no time to build my own rig unfortunately.

I wrestled with this question a couple years ago as we planned our build. Our plan was to finish up work last fall and start a year of travel in central/South America so that’s the scenario we based our choices on. We went to two overland expos and looked at a lot of campers. We ended up going with a pop-up because it offered a decent compromise between keeping a low profile for transport and gave a decent amount of space. We also found that the airflow was awesome in the heat when we tried a couple out in AZ. We went with Bundutec because they offered the best value for money by far. Their build quality is far superior to palomino and the cost is not really that much more. Plus Rory and Jenn are willing to work with you on a lot of customization which you don’t get with many companies. So we ordered a”Free” flatbed model last August and picked it up this April.
A lot of borders were shut down last fall so our trip got put on hold and an opportunity to work in Alaska fell into our laps so we headed up here shortly after picking up our camper. We’re living in it full time right now and having a pop up while driving the Alcan on our way up here was awesome. We hit some 50 mph winds through the Yukon and the lower profile definitely helped. I passed a f-350 with a big artic fox strapped to it and he had a hell of a time keeping in his lane because of the wind. The downside is that we have to put the top down when we leave in case the bears get curious and rambunctious while we’re gone. It’s not a big deal for us because bundutec uses an electric Roof that raises and lowers in 20 sec. For now we love the pop up, I’ll let you know if that changes when winter hits!

Bundutec is def at the top of the list. The only downside is not being able to see one in person since they don't sell to dealers. We'll have to make a trip to the factory next year to tour some models. Glad you are liking yours!

A lot of people on here say the Palomino build quality isnt great, but I follow probably 15 people on the gram with them and they really beat the crap out of them and take them to some awesome places. The price point is just sooo attractive, but Bundutec is just barley a little more, so might move them to the top of the list.

ripperj

Explorer
Curious what the $50k from Total Composites is, that a finished interior? A panel kit would be nowhere near that much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mkish

Adventurer
I love my popup but the lack of storage can be bad. Or maybe it's the people I travel with who aren't obsessive about putting things away immediately. There IS a lot of storage. It's just not always easy to get to. Hardsides usually have more cabinets and larger appliances. The view and ventilation in a hardside isn't nearly as nice though. :)

My popup is super easy to pop up for quick stops--it is a Northstar with the manual HECO lift. (They have an electric lift now which looks like it has some advantages and possibly some disadvantages.) I am short enough to be happy in my popup for short stops with the top down though. I just have to remember not to put my sunglasses on top of my head when I go in.

A hardside would be better for long-term living (mainly due to more cabinets and larger fridge), but a popup is perfectly fine if you run a tight ship.

hemifoot

Observer
we lived in our Northstar 850 for at least a month every summer and every weekend from ice off till ice over and i can tell you it can be done,but the amount of extra gear you need to haul with it to make it comfortable is not really worth the hassle.we plan to go with an off road ready travel trailer and a couple electric kayaks going forward.i'd love to keep our pop up,it's a fantastic camper,but too heavy for my Power wagon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz