Full time 4x4 frontier possible??

I know its been a while but... I have the 2012 Pathfinder LE with the Auto 4wd and it's pretty fantastic in the snow. The good news is that the Navara came with the same system so it will definitely work in the Frontier. Pretty confident that you need to figure out the ECU thing but see if you can find a wrecked one and do a swap.

beef tits

Probably cheaper to just fix whatever breaks when the wife damages it.

Or get a smarter wife? Lol

Msmithabr

Forgive me, but is this thread a joke?

Women are not ignorant or incapable of learning, and if she indeed posses some mental deficiency or stubbornness that prohibits her from learning the 4x4 system in a Frontier, which is pretty stupidly simple, why would she be driving it, on or off road?

If that is her idea, it sounds like an excuse because she doesn't want to drive it. If that is your idea, you sound like the most chauvinistic man I've ever heard of. I wouldn't even entertain the idea of rebuilding a vehicle's drive-line with a hodge podge of parts to create a center diff 4x4 just because she was unwilling to learn how to turn a knob, stop, put it in neutral, hold the brake, and turn it again.

The Frontier 4x4 system as mentioned is very solid. I've driven them for years in all manner of conditions. It can be a bit finicky if you try to do things out of sequence, but it's by no means difficult. RTFM. It is pretty inexcusable to drive a vehicle and not have the ability to learn it's user interface. I mean it's not like they have locking hubs and you have to back up or get out and lock them, we are talking about a 4x4 system you can completely manipulate from the drivers seat.

If that is really what this is all about, leave your wife out of it and get the vehicle that suits your needs and wants. Don't imply she is too stupid to drive a Nissan.

It has nothing to do with her ability to learn how to operate a 4x4 system. It has everything to do with varying road conditions in the winter and me wanting her in the safest vehicle for the task. Maybe I was raised a bit more traditional, but in our house, the vehicles are my responsibility. If anything avoidable were to happen to my wife in a vehicle that I provided to her, I would have a difficult time living with myself.
The decision to engage, not engage. Slow from highway speeds to engage and disengage. Lots of extra steps that we have the technology to not have to deal with. They just don't put them in pickup trucks.

I put her in a x5d instead of fussing about with swaps. It still intrigues me though.

Now, over two years later, you can fuq right off with your nonsense. I don't care how you feel about my assessment of a viable pilot load for my wife's daily driver in inclement weather. And you contributed nothing to the conversation.

Msmithabr

Thanks to everyone who had useful information. Sorry I neglected the thread. To anyone who thought this thread was a knock on a woman's ability to drive a vehicle, your way out in the weeds. It's about safety first and foremost. Convenience second.
What harm can come of having an extra position on the tcase for mixed weather? They do it in nearly every suv. I just wanted the same in a pickup configuration. I actually think the f150 has options available for this now.

Thanks again,
Mike

Last edited:

rruff

Explorer
Women are not ignorant or incapable of learning, and if she indeed posses some mental deficiency or stubbornness that prohibits her from learning the 4x4 system in a Frontier, which is pretty stupidly simple, why would she be driving it, on or off road?

Maybe someone should teach me how to use mine. The part time 4wd on trucks is very limited. Any time it's a mix of slippery and not with turns included, you can't use it.

Msmithabr

Yeah this thing is all off in the weeds. If I ever attempt to make the swap in question I will probably consult with the guys over at loj. They have ls swap kits for the frontier and pathfinder that specify you can't use the auto mode t case. So if anyone knows if there is some sort of communication issue between the two cases and vehicles it would most likely be them.

justbecause

perpetually lost
vehicles are my responsibility. If anything avoidable were to happen to my wife in a vehicle that I provided to her, I would have a difficult time living with myself.

While most of us probably feel the same way. Most of us are likely also guilty of modifying our vehicles in a way that make them measurably less safe

if safety is the most important thing, then "slow down" should be the default solution. Even if your vehicle is modified with advanced traction control allowing for greater speeds it will always be 4 wheel drive, not 4 wheel stop.

Msmithabr

While most of us probably feel the same way. Most of us are likely also guilty of modifying our vehicles in a way that make them measurably less safe

if safety is the most important thing, then "slow down" should be the default solution. Even if your vehicle is modified with advanced traction control allowing for greater speeds it will always be 4 wheel drive, not 4 wheel stop.
This particular situation is more about catching an unfortunate upshift, on a bridge, in a Michigan winter, when the roads are decent but that bridge has just turned into a sheet of ice when the sun tucked in behind some clouds.
I'm sure anybody that drives through winters knows the drill. We use to have snow that lasted through the winter and the varying temperatures stayed mostly below freezing. We now have a perpetual freeze thaw cycle that makes roads unpredictable. And the only vehicles I have ever owned that weren't 4 wheel stop were motorcycles ;)

All jokes and hypotheticals aside, your point isn't lost on me. And I agree. But more traction is almost always more better. Imagine driving responsibly AND having advanced traction keeping capabilities. Now we are cooking with oil.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles