Full time 4x4 frontier possible??

Msmithabr

Is there any combination of factory nissan parts, or adapters for torsen style t cases (toyota) that would allow full time 4x4 in a Nissan platform. Prefer the frontier. Love the look and price of the nissans but lack of wife proof 4x4 has me stuck in the toy/mitsubishi/land rover/jeep realm. I just want a center differential with lock ?

Thanks for any information,
Mike

llamalander

The number of Titan parts that you can fit on a Frontier is pretty amazing, although I think that is a part-time 4wd as well.
I'm not sure the Armada or even the Patrol come with parts for full-time 4wd, but the Rouge, Murano & GTR come in AWD, maybe that's the source of your parts?
As a word of caution, there has been a bunch of effort figuring out how to disable or circumvent the various traction/stopping aids when driving Frontiers offroad (ABS kicks in at 3-4 mph, for example).
Even with a compatible mechanical system, the computers in Nissans are not easy to work with or around--they could be the undoing of a major mechanical victory.
All that said, the 4wd system in the Frontier is pretty bulletproof. If the wife is not inclined to turn the knob from 2wd to 4wd, which can happen up to 55mph if you're pointed straight, leave it in 4wd the whole time.
The turning radius will get even bigger and you may have to replace the tires more frequently, but the driveline will happily take it, on-road or off-- Full time just means never putting it in 2wd.

justbecause

perpetually lost
A couples 4x4 driving course would probably be the winner for this problem. Yall learn some skills together, spend time together, and probably be a fraction the cost or headache of trying to convert the truck.

JDaPP

Adventurer
Personally I hope you find a solution. There are a variety of situations where AWD is useful and the "just learn to drive better" isn't the only/better answer.

I do know nissan makes their transfer cases in house so looking at other Nissan products is probably your best option. You might ask on the club frontier forum or Pirate 4x4 (you will probably get a lot of flack on pirate but if anyone has done it they will know)

Good luck.

Last edited:

stevet47

As docwatson said, the t-case out of an r51 Pathfinder is your best bet. Mechanically, I'd imagine the swap is very straight forward since they share a platform; its the electronics that I dont know about. Not sure how many computers/modules talk to the tcase. I'd love to do this swap as well after having a Montero full time 4x4.

broncobowsher

Adventurer
R51 pathfinder has the same underpinnings as the 2nd gen Frontier.
R51 pathfinder was available in both part time and full time 4WD.
There are a few different wires between them. The knob in the dash will interchange (but wiring is different).
The modules in this generation tend to just work when plugged in. People have been swapping in V8 engines and the modules are all happy talking to each other. The AWD being available with the same engine and platform, even so more.

I am pretty sure a full time 4WD conversion can be done with nothing more than just putting the parts in the truck. Providing you start with a 4WD.
Now if you mix in manual transmission, bets are off. The AWD was never offered with a manual. And the CAN signals for the AWD will likely expect to be looking for CAN signals for the transmission.

There was a big change in the modules starting in '13. There are communication issues if you try to marry across that 12/13 line.

Airmapper

Inactive Member
Love the look and price of the nissans but lack of wife proof 4x4 has me stuck in the toy/mitsubishi/land rover/jeep realm.

Forgive me, but is this thread a joke?

Women are not ignorant or incapable of learning, and if she indeed posses some mental deficiency or stubbornness that prohibits her from learning the 4x4 system in a Frontier, which is pretty stupidly simple, why would she be driving it, on or off road?

If that is her idea, it sounds like an excuse because she doesn't want to drive it. If that is your idea, you sound like the most chauvinistic man I've ever heard of. I wouldn't even entertain the idea of rebuilding a vehicle's drive-line with a hodge podge of parts to create a center diff 4x4 just because she was unwilling to learn how to turn a knob, stop, put it in neutral, hold the brake, and turn it again.

The Frontier 4x4 system as mentioned is very solid. I've driven them for years in all manner of conditions. It can be a bit finicky if you try to do things out of sequence, but it's by no means difficult. RTFM. It is pretty inexcusable to drive a vehicle and not have the ability to learn it's user interface. I mean it's not like they have locking hubs and you have to back up or get out and lock them, we are talking about a 4x4 system you can completely manipulate from the drivers seat.

I just want a center differential with lock

If that is really what this is all about, leave your wife out of it and get the vehicle that suits your needs and wants. Don't imply she is too stupid to drive a Nissan.

billiebob

Forgive me, but is this thread a joke?

Women are not ignorant or incapable of learning, and if she indeed posses some mental deficiency or stubbornness that prohibits her from learning the 4x4 system in a Frontier, which is pretty stupidly simple, why would she be driving it, on or off road?
on the money, I've met more men who cannot drive than women, if someone actually marries a partner who cannot drive, maybe they should pick a new activity they can do together

JDaPP

Adventurer
I fail to see how either one of your comments are even remotely useful. In case you missed the memo it is a free country and if someone wants to adjust their vehicle that is their business. My wife used to build hot rods and classic cars from the ground up and drives better than I do but that doesn't mean she doesn't prefer Full time 4wd. Frankly the why he wants it isn't really anyone's business, he was asking if it is possible and trying to give a why so that people might relate/not spend the thread asking why?

Oh by he way I have the exact same question for the Frontier and it is all about me wanting it. Floor is now open to tell me to learn how to drive, but you are going to need better arguments than what you've made so far.

Last edited:

docwatson

Adventurer
It looks like a used ATX14b transfer case can be bought for about $250 from LKQ. I haven't looked across the Frontier or Xterra forums to see if anyone has tried this swap but @broncobowsher brings up a good point about the ECU. Wouldn't it be great if it's that simple...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles