Full Size Truck Toppers/Camper Shells

UglyViking

@Tex68w Interesting, I didn't realize that the dealers wouldn't allow for ordering/selling. We are almost at 4 model years in, what's taking them so long to borrow a truck to fit, get data from FCA or what? Insane.

I agree with you on the functionality for sure. I do enjoy having an open bed though, as it comes with it's own functionality which I've been enjoying. I personally plan to run my crossbed toolbox for a while. That said, I did just go up to Maine for a night shoot with some buddies in the pouring rain and had to store all my stuff in the back seat, and it's an absolute mess now. Add to that I just got my first trailer and we are starting to talk about our second kid so the dogs will need somewhere to sit. I may end up ordering a cap in the next year or two.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
@Tex68w Interesting, I didn't realize that the dealers wouldn't allow for ordering/selling. We are almost at 4 model years in, what's taking them so long to borrow a truck to fit, get data from FCA or what? Insane.

I agree with you on the functionality for sure. I do enjoy having an open bed though, as it comes with it's own functionality which I've been enjoying. I personally plan to run my crossbed toolbox for a while. That said, I did just go up to Maine for a night shoot with some buddies in the pouring rain and had to store all my stuff in the back seat, and it's an absolute mess now. Add to that I just got my first trailer and we are starting to talk about our second kid so the dogs will need somewhere to sit. I may end up ordering a cap in the next year or two.

No clue, it's annoying. I have a single cab long bed now so I have to have some sort of covered/protected storage outside of the cab, camper shell it is. Unfortunately these RAM's have quite the gap between the bed sides and the sides of the tailgate, I can see right through mine. In order to keep dirt/dust/water out I am going to have to put some sort of bulb seal on the tailgate sides.

Last edited:

jadmt

ignore button user
No clue, it's annoying. I have a single cab log bed now so I have to have some sort of covered/protected storage outside of the cab, camper shell it is. Unfortunately these RAM's have quite the gap between the bed sides and the sides of the tailgate, I can see right through mine. In order to keep dirt/dust/water out I am going to have to put some sort of bulb seal on the tailgate sides.
I installed the ESI tailgate seal and it works very well. just goggle esi tailgate seal.

Trixxx

After much deliberation, looks like I’m going with the RSI Cap with the drivers side full bin. It’s in back order til October, but I plan to order early next week. I may run a lithium battery in the bin with solar and a few other things to run my 50 qt fridge, then I plan to also install a 2200# bed slide. Not sure if I’ll be able to transfer my frontrunner racks to the RSI Cap (will depend on track width) or will otherwise sell them with my diamondback cap and order a full length rack.

if I go the RTT route it wouldn’t be til the next long sabbatical. For our short trips we’ll sleep in the Casita, but on a hopeful 6+ month sabbatical, it’d be nice to have the secondary sleeping option in cool weather, and to disconnect the trailer and get further off the beaten path with just the truck.

my wife and I spent 2 months straight in a RTT with our (then baby) German Shepherd, and it was amazing. I’m use a few snowy nights that got pretty cold lol.

LaBalaDePlata

I second the Snugtop Rebel. I got mine last year after looking at an ARE comparable model. Some of the ARE models are very easy to break into via the tailgate latch, something various topper dealers in my city verified. I got the sportsmans package and put a CBI low profile rack on top. I chose that rack based on the light weight and low profile versus roof racks or rhino rack models. I've been very happy with it, and I splurged for the side opening windows and key fob operated lock on the back window. I know you're going RSI, I actually helped a neighbor install one on his F350 last month. I'm pretty impressed with it, and I think you'll be happy as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior