Full size truck pulling M416

Bella PSD

Explorer
Anyone have any pictures of a full size pulling an M 416? Thinking about keeping one of the M416's I have and use it with my truck. Just not sure if it will work or better yet, look right. My truck is a Superduty with 35's and 4" lift. I would guess I would add 35" tires to the M 416 to start.

Thanks
Louie

85K54WC

M416

I am in the process of building, or having built, an off road chase trailer. I bought a new 3,500 lb. axle with 6 bolt hubs that will allow me to use Rally wheels on the trailer.

The axle is installed and I had them flip it, the springs and shocks are now bolted on top of the axle instead of underneath. It has raised the trailer a good 5". I wanted to use the same Rally wheels on the trailer as the truck so one spare could be used for both. When they tried to mount the Rally wheels the center hub would not fit over the hub guide on the housing. I had three Rally wheels lathed out for the trailer and spare.

The hitch is being extended two feet to allow a storage box in front of the cargo box of the trailer. It will hold 4, 5 gallon water cans. I chose to use a covered box because of mud issues.

Flipping the axle gives room underneath to allow mounting of the spare tire. I am running 33's so it will be good to get it out of the way and not eat up storage.

My adventures are on the open range of the High Plains in Western Kansas, actually the Smoky Hill river valley. If one was to use this trailer for rock crawling the axle flip may make it too top heavy. My main concern is driving over large areas of thick sage brush, yucca and cactis. Driving over this terrain is hell on wiring and trailer tires.

WKCwith5

Adventurer
I have had my Canadian 1/4 ton behind my F350 and it looked a little smallish. The hard part was seeing it to back-up. I do not have any pics of it behind the F350 truck and just traded it for a 450. I do have a pic of it behind my Dodge 3500 dully though. Not the best pic but all I could find. A longer tongue would help with the backing.

Attachments

• dodge trailer.jpg
    dodge trailer.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:

Rhode Trip

Adventurer
Not an M416...but:
DSC03372.jpg

Refueling on the Trans-Taiga road

DSC03193.jpg

at Chisasibi on James Bay

SunTzuNephew

Explorer
No pics handy, but I used to pull an M416 loaded with SAR stuff with my Yukon (also loaded with SAR stuff). Pulled great. I didn't care what it looked like.

BajaXplorer

Adventurer
Our '09 PW and M101. 35"s on PW, 32"s on M101. M101 same as M416.

Attachments

• IMG_1409x.jpg
    IMG_1409x.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_1642x.jpg
    IMG_1642x.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_1643x.jpg
    IMG_1643x.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 101
Something you may want to consider is adding some type of flags to your trailer. I towed a utility trailer (48" inside the wheels) behind my full size Chevy, if I had anything in the truck bed I could not see the trailer. I could not see the trailer in the truck side mirrors which made it really hard to back up, if you could see the trailer it was already turning which was too late (because it is so short).

For my trailer I made some removable markers that angled away from the trailer, I put them at the very back off the light bracket. Now I can see the trailer in the mirrors and I know exactly where the back of the trailer is.

Try to picture markers similar to what you see on the edges of truck mounted snow plow blades. I'll try to take a picture tomorrow.

Something you may want to consider is adding some type of flags to your trailer. I towed a utility trailer (48" inside the wheels) behind my full size Chevy, if I had anything in the truck bed I could not see the trailer. I could not see the trailer in the truck side mirrors which made it really hard to back up, if you could see the trailer it was already turning which was too late (because it is so short).

For my trailer I made some removable markers that angled away from the trailer, I put them at the very back off the light bracket. Now I can see the trailer in the mirrors and I know exactly where the back of the trailer is.

Try to picture markers similar to what you see on the edges of truck mounted snow plow blades. I'll try to take a picture tomorrow.

Here are some pictures, excuse the flag pictures the trailer is covered for the winter and wheels removed.

This is my trailer
IMG_2354.jpg

Here are a few of the flags
What you would see in your mirror
IMG_2449.jpg

From the back
IMG_2448.jpg

it is easily removable
IMG_2450-1.jpg

Bella PSD

Explorer
THANKS for all the pictures!! This thread has inspired me to try out the M416 with my full size truck. I have 2 of the M416’s and had them up for sale and no one ever came up with the cash. At the sale price of $275, I am not going any less to sell them. I will just keep them.

With that out of the way, the decision to keep the two trailers, I went out and drove one of the M416 around for about ½ hour. The M416 followed about as well as my Pioneer tool trailer did. Just can’t see the M416!! The flag idea is a good one. Very odd not being able to see the trailer in tow. I kept thinking "is it still there"....

I snapped a few pictures that I can post in the morning.
Louie

BajaXplorer

Adventurer
On my Dodge, I have the flip out type rearview mirrors for towing. Normally do not drive with them out while towing, but when backing requires it I flip them out and can see the trailer even though it is considerably narrower than truck. Ford makes a mirror that pulls out for towing that would probably work for backing.
BX

Bella PSD

Explorer
I have the trailer tow mirrors that extend out. The trailer is just to small to see or the truck is to big to see around. And the mirrors go way out there.

Bella PSD

Explorer
Took out on the road for the first time trailer #2. It is the one that rolls good but is beat up so bad. Towed and tracked like it was not there. thinking I will try and use the trailer for local camping trips to start out. I guess I need to try out the other M416 and get it sandblaster.

M_416_number_2_014.jpg

M_416_number_2_016.jpg

M_416_number_2_019.jpg

Bella PSD

Explorer
Sorry Tim, they were for sale. The one pictured was for sale for months at $275. Even had it on craigslist. No one wanted it. I am going to keep them both now.

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
Correct you can't see them. Even with the trailer lifted and the extended tongue it is very difficult to see.

But I do think they're pretty awesome and useful, but the usual question, with all that storage etc etc. The best part about the trailer is leaving it as a mobile base camp and lack of clutter/crap for camping around your car. And always leaving it loaded ready to go at a moment's notice...

Hope it helps,
Andre

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior