Full size truck considerations

Rosco862003

Adventurer
Hey all, currently the owner of a 2000 LX470 that has been bulletproof reliable and more than capable for what I use it for once the pavement ends. However, our recent 6200 mile trip put me in thinking mode and gave me a chance to think about what I really want which finds me looking at a full size truck. We have a 1989 Skamper 060S 6' slide in truck camper that weighs in around 900#. We currently make due in moving it around with a 2015 Tacoma CCSB, I can't say I feel at all comfortable with that setup and have met the bumpstops more than once. We are a family of 5 plus a 50# cattle dog, and without adding any gear we are over the payload of that truck. I've narrowed my choices down to the following and would like to stay below $30k:
  • 2015+ F150 with 3.5 EB (Can't get a 4x4 long bed with the 2.7)
  • 2015+ Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
  • 2011+ F250 CCSB with 6.2
I'll start by saying that I'm looking at a minimum carrying capacity of 1700lbs, and range of 700 miles, and while the Ecodiesel seems to reach the fuel range target it falls short of the payload capacity. It in fact has a 1250 lb. cap with the CCLB configuration I want, which is less than my girlfriends Tacoma! Can anyone chime in and say if the springs are soft from the factory and if there are other factors that contribute to such a low rating that I would need to address before putting a slide in camper on back? Looking to stay away from the HD diesels.

The F150 seems to meet both of my targets with a payload capacity of at least 2000lbs, and close to 700 miles if I find one with the 36 gallon tank and am unloaded obviously. I like that the come with an available rear locker and though may find it corny, I'm a huge fan of the tailgate step being that my sub 5' girls would be able to manage they're way into the camper much easier. My concern is with the 10 speed transmissions and if anyone has any input to provide on the reliability of that unit, as I've heard some horror stories that have me skeptical in taking it into the back country.

The F250..I love this big beautiful beast and know that it won't even know a camper is on the back, but the range has me concerned. I get about 11-13 mpg in my LX and I absolutely loath filling up every 250 miles or so on long trips. There seems to be a number of long range tanks for the diesels, but nothing for the gas unless I go custom. Aside from that I do worry about a HD ride on longer trips and the number of complaints that would register as a result. I've heard great things about Carli Suspension, but seems like quite a bit of coin to spend. Aside from that, full floating solid front and rear axles, with a rear locker along with what appears to be a reliable engine and transmission combo seem to be a good fit.

Thanks in advance for the feedback!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 9101

The 10 speeds in the F150 are pretty damn bullet proof. There are literailly millions on the road. They do come with a learning curve though, meaning that it has to learn your driving style to program its self.

Also, get the heavy duty pay load package and the max tow package.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

I live in CO and have a ‘17 f150 supercrew lariat w/ the 3.5, max tow, 7k GVWR and 10speed. I love it, so much so, we’re always taking it on trips vs my wife’s suv. Even with a 6” lift and 35” MT tires, I get over 600 miles per tank and average 18mpg going 70-75mph. It flat out hauls a**. Towing through the rockies is lovely because it has plenty of power. My father has always been a chevy 5.3 person and I let him drive it for a week when he visited and it blew him away with the power, comfort and how it drove with the lift and bigger tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
You get 11-13mpg in your lx? My 2011 Chevy 2500 gasser gets 13-14 unloaded, and has a 36 gallon fuel tank. The only time I’m concerned with range is when towing my 10,000 pound camper when it gets 7mpg.
2800 pounds of payload with my rig FYI.

I think any HD truck would get better range than your lx.

Grassland

I thought super duty had 36 gallon tank with the 6.2??
If I was doing a camper if pick a 17+ 250 6.2 with 4.30 gears. But for the right price a pre aluminum one.
If I bought a halfer again it would be another F150 but a heavier duty version, with 9.75 rear axle, locker and the steepest gearing available.

I have a 2018 F150 V8 Supercrew 4x4
Unloaded I can get 26mpg if I drive like a grandma. Made it from SFO to PHX non stop on one (36 gal) tank of gas
Loaded with EVERYTHING the truck and camper scales at 6850 lb just under the GVWR of 7050, it has a payload of 1764lbs The mileage drops to 18 freeway 14 city
I love the room of the supercrew cab and with the 6.5ft bed I can close the tailgate to secure all my gear inside
And the 10 speed transmission with its different modes... Eco, Tow Hall, Sport, Wet, E-locker ect is a great match

Attachments

• Black rock.jpg
    Black rock.jpg
    647.6 KB · Views: 42

McCarthy

Is it riding season yet?
I have a 2018 F150 V8 Supercrew 4x4
Unloaded I can get 26mpg if I drive like a grandma. Made it from SFO to PHX non stop on one (36 gal) tank of gas
Loaded with EVERYTHING the truck and camper scales at 6850 lb just under the GVWR of 7050, it has a payload of 1764lbs The mileage drops to 18 freeway 14 city
I love the room of the supercrew cab and with the 6.5ft bed I can close the tailgate to secure all my gear inside
And the 10 speed transmission with its different modes... Eco, Tow Hall, Sport, Wet, E-locker ect is a great match

Whoa how is your truck so light with all the gear and camper? My 2019 Crew short XLT scaled dead empty, 1/2 tank of fuel, and one occupant at 5732lbs

I scaled it with a quad (1151lb) (I would guess similar in weight to the camper?) full tank of fuel, one passenger, gear and fuel for two days at the cabin, and was 7711lb's

Rosco862003

Adventurer
I appreciate the suggestions, and am not ruling a 3/4 ton truck out, but given the over 2000 lb payload of the F150, and what seems to be a drivetrain that's more than capable of moving said weight. I should note that I don't plan on adding any type of HD bumpers, winch or any of the other accessories that typically make an impact on payload. Given Booyakasha's experience, I have to say that I'm leaning towards the 1/2 ton platform especially given the low weight of the slide in. Occupants altogether weigh in at about 500# (3 small girls). I've removed the Ram from the running, as the payload is just terrible, and I'm not a fan of going past the manufacturers design limits, but if I can get even 23mpg (1/2 ton) on the highway vs 13 (3/4 ton) that is quite a lot of money that goes back into the trip itself.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Hey all, currently the owner of a 2000 LX470 that has been bulletproof reliable and more than capable for what I use it for once the pavement ends. However, our recent 6200 mile trip put me in thinking mode and gave me a chance to think about what I really want which finds me looking at a full size truck. We have a 1989 Skamper 060S 6' slide in truck camper that weighs in around 900#. We currently make due in moving it around with a 2015 Tacoma CCSB, I can't say I feel at all comfortable with that setup and have met the bumpstops more than once. We are a family of 5 plus a 50# cattle dog, and without adding any gear we are over the payload of that truck. I've narrowed my choices down to the following and would like to stay below $30k:
  • 2015+ F150 with 3.5 EB (Can't get a 4x4 long bed with the 2.7)
  • 2015+ Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
  • 2011+ F250 CCSB with 6.2
I'll start by saying that I'm looking at a minimum carrying capacity of 1700lbs, and range of 700 miles, and while the Ecodiesel seems to reach the fuel range target it falls short of the payload capacity. It in fact has a 1250 lb. cap with the CCLB configuration I want, which is less than my girlfriends Tacoma! Can anyone chime in and say if the springs are soft from the factory and if there are other factors that contribute to such a low rating that I would need to address before putting a slide in camper on back? Looking to stay away from the HD diesels.

The F150 seems to meet both of my targets with a payload capacity of at least 2000lbs, and close to 700 miles if I find one with the 36 gallon tank and am unloaded obviously. I like that the come with an available rear locker and though may find it corny, I'm a huge fan of the tailgate step being that my sub 5' girls would be able to manage they're way into the camper much easier. My concern is with the 10 speed transmissions and if anyone has any input to provide on the reliability of that unit, as I've heard some horror stories that have me skeptical in taking it into the back country.

The F250..I love this big beautiful beast and know that it won't even know a camper is on the back, but the range has me concerned. I get about 11-13 mpg in my LX and I absolutely loath filling up every 250 miles or so on long trips. There seems to be a number of long range tanks for the diesels, but nothing for the gas unless I go custom. Aside from that I do worry about a HD ride on longer trips and the number of complaints that would register as a result. I've heard great things about Carli Suspension, but seems like quite a bit of coin to spend. Aside from that, full floating solid front and rear axles, with a rear locker along with what appears to be a reliable engine and transmission combo seem to be a good fit.

Thanks in advance for the feedback!
Neighbor has a heavy load pack, 36gallon tank, factory F150 3.5L with a fully loaded 4wheel camper full time on it. He does long trips CA MO and Wyoming he says 15-16mpg is typical for him. I had a 4runner, J80 and a Sequoia and now a Expedition and will tell you the Toyota trucks all suck regarding range and fuel consumption with any kind of load. The GM and Fords are far superior in that regard.

phsycle

Adventurer
I appreciate the suggestions, and am not ruling a 3/4 ton truck out, but given the over 2000 lb payload of the F150, and what seems to be a drivetrain that's more than capable of moving said weight. I should note that I don't plan on adding any type of HD bumpers, winch or any of the other accessories that typically make an impact on payload. Given Booyakasha's experience, I have to say that I'm leaning towards the 1/2 ton platform especially given the low weight of the slide in. Occupants altogether weigh in at about 500# (3 small girls). I've removed the Ram from the running, as the payload is just terrible, and I'm not a fan of going past the manufacturers design limits, but if I can get even 23mpg (1/2 ton) on the highway vs 13 (3/4 ton) that is quite a lot of money that goes back into the trip itself.

In that case.....
Bit elusive and very rare, but try to find an F150 with the HDPP package which increases GVWR to 7700lbs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles