Full size truck considerations

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I live in CO and have a ‘17 f150 supercrew lariat w/ the 3.5, max tow, 7k GVWR and 10speed. I love it, so much so, we’re always taking it on trips vs my wife’s suv. Even with a 6” lift and 35” MT tires, I get over 600 miles per tank and average 18mpg going 70-75mph. It flat out hauls a**. Towing through the rockies is lovely because it has plenty of power. My father has always been a chevy 5.3 person and I let him drive it for a week when he visited and it blew him away with the power, comfort and how it drove with the lift and bigger tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My neighbor's 2wd,stock Michelin's,Supercrew Ecoboost,empty averages 16-18 mpg mixed.
That's very small camper. The F-150 should be fine until your kids grow and you need a bigger one.

McCarthy

Is it riding season yet?
My neighbor's 2wd,stock Michelin's,Supercrew Ecoboost,empty averages 16-18 mpg mixed.

Huh, my lifted, 35" 10 ply tire, 4wd supercrew ecoboost gets 16mpg, going from 5000 feet where I live, to 1400 feet where I work every day (I never drive flat highway, it's always up a hill or down, which is dramatically worse on fuel than flat), at 80mph.

deserteagle56

Adventurer
That's very small camper. The F-150 should be fine until your kids grow and you need a bigger one.

And my 2016 3.5 Ecoboost Supercab 4x4 with 3.55 gears has a lifetime (44,000 miles now) average fuel mileage of 20.9 mpg. The worst it has gotten is 17 mpg which included a few miles in 4-Lo going up mountain switchbacks. The best was 24.1 during some light general commuting.

Best of all, in those 44,000 miles all I've had to do is change the oil and rotate the tires!

D

Deleted member 9101

In that case.....
Bit elusive and very rare, but try to find an F150 with the HDPP package which increases GVWR to 7700lbs.

The only "down side" to a truck with that package is it only comes with the 5.0. While its not a bad motor, the 3.5 will definitely move the truck better when loaded and more so when at a high altitude.

Now, the real rarity is the HDPP and Max Tow package. That gets the heavy duty frame, heavy duty hitch, 9.75 rear axle, heavy duty springs, and the 3.5.

D

Deleted member 9101

Heavy duty frame? Link?

The F150 has 4 frames:
LD- Light Duty .087 thickness
HD-Heavy Duty .1 thickness
HD/HDPP- Heavy Duty Payload .11 thickness

Screenshot_2020-08-02-17-33-28~2.png

The frames all look the same, they are all fully boxed, have the same crossmembers, and they all have the same mounting holes. The difference is the thickness of the frame rails.

The 4th frame is the Raptor. IIRC it differs in the A-arm mounts, beefed up shock mounts, and it's made of thicker steel.

On the frame, under the drivers door is a upside down sticker that denotes what frame the truck has.

Mine is a 2017, Crew Cab, 2WD, 2.7 and it gets the HD frame.
20200802_170147~2.jpg

Thanks to the SD 8.8 rear axle and soft springs, its only rated for 1628lbs of cargo, which works for me. One day I'll probably swap in stiffer OEM rear springs when I get a new travel trailer, instead of using RAS or air bags.
20200802_171021.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 9101

Thanks for the info!!! Never knew there was different frames. Where abouts is the sticker on yours? Curious which one I have!

You're most certainly welcome!

What I find funny is the frames differ, but transmissions and brakes are the same across the F150 line up

The sticker is on your frame, directly under the drivers door. Probably upside down...lol.

Rosco862003

Adventurer
The F150 has 4 frames:
LD- Light Duty .087 thickness
HD-Heavy Duty .1 thickness
HD/HDPP- Heavy Duty Payload .11 thickness

View attachment 602758

The frames all look the same, they are all fully boxed, have the same crossmembers, and they all have the same mounting holes. The difference is the thickness of the frame rails.

The 4th frame is the Raptor. IIRC it differs in the A-arm mounts, beefed up shock mounts, and it's made of thicker steel.

On the frame, under the drivers door is a upside down sticker that denotes what frame the truck has.

Mine is a 2017, Crew Cab, 2WD, 2.7 and it gets the HD frame.
View attachment 602738

Thanks to the SD 8.8 rear axle and soft springs, its only rated for 1628lbs of cargo, which works for me. One day I'll probably swap in stiffer OEM rear springs when I get a new travel trailer, instead of using RAS or air bags.
View attachment 602742

This is great info, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

billiebob

if I can get even 23mpg (1/2 ton) on the highway vs 13 (3/4 ton) that is quite a lot of money
I find the EPA Rating is a best case empty senario. I almost bought a F150 for work til I asked guys with them and setup for work they all got under 15mpg. Same as my TJ with a trailer.

Nothing wrong with the F150 but don't expect 25mpg camping.

Payload Ratings are carved in stone. Regardless of what you add or change that GVWR is the "legal" limit. I've seen GM void a warranty on a Camper/Pickup in for repairs which they scaled and discovered it was over weight. I imagine Ford & Dodge are the same.

Last edited:

phsycle

Adventurer
The only "down side" to a truck with that package is it only comes with the 5.0. While its not a bad motor, the 3.5 will definitely move the truck better when loaded and more so when at a high altitude.

Now, the real rarity is the HDPP and Max Tow package. That gets the heavy duty frame, heavy duty hitch, 9.75 rear axle, heavy duty springs, and the 3.5.

Good to know. I thought HDPP came together with Max Tow. Max Tow is nice with the backup assist.

phsycle

Adventurer
I find the EPA Rating is a best case empty senario. I almost bought a F150 for work til I asked guys with them and setup for work they all got under 15mpg. Same as my TJ with a trailer.

Nothing wrong with the F150 but don't expect 25mpg camping.

Payload Ratings are carved in stone. Regardless of what you add or change that GVWR is the "legal" limit. I've seen GM void a warranty on a Camper/Pickup in for repairs which they scaled and discovered it was over weight. I imagine Ford & Dodge are the same.

I will say though. When I had a ‘15 2.7, I got 24mpg Highway. 22mpg when I had it loaded down, 4 passengers, and 33” LT tires. That’s not bad.

One of my clients had a 1st gen 3.5 (‘13 F150). Couldn’t not get better than 17mpg. Then I rode with him and saw how he drove ? Boost is addicting.

D

Deleted member 9101

I will say though. When I had a ‘15 2.7, I got 24mpg Highway. 22mpg when I had it loaded down, 4 passengers, and 33” LT tires. That’s not bad.

One of my clients had a 1st gen 3.5 (‘13 F150). Couldn’t not get better than 17mpg. Then I rode with him and saw how he drove ? Boost is addicting.

If I set the cruise at +10 the speed limit from Orlando Fl to Boston and back I can eek out 21 mpg. That's with three adults, a 3 year old, a bed full of luggage, and on winter gas.
20200208_215114.jpg

If I stay at 70 mph its around 24-25mpg. If I slow down to 65 its 26-27 mpg. Anything over 71-72mph on flat ground causes the turbos to start spooling...which uses more fuel.

Now... If I press the happy peddle down and "let that thing eat" then I can easily get 12mpg (or less) around town....hahaha. Stock it wasn't as bad...but with the tune it makes more power and has the appetite to prove it...haha.

Last edited by a moderator:

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Whoa how is your truck so light with all the gear and camper? My 2019 Crew short XLT scaled dead empty, 1/2 tank of fuel, and one occupant at 5732lbs

❓ That seems heavy for a CCSB.

I bought my 2018 out of state and so I had to obtain a weight slip at a certified scale in order to get it registered. With a Leer 100R fiberglass topper (I figure ~ 250lbs or so) it weighed just under 5500lbs. With no topper (you didn't say you have one so I assume you don't) I would think you should be around 5250.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier