Full size rig with trailer, why?

hikingff77

Adventurer
I'm not trying to pick a fight here, haha, cause I want to turn my crappy little trailer into something I can be proud to tow behind my Silverado. But with the room I have in the bed of my truck and no plans on ever getting a RTT, is there a point to towing a trailer? Speaking mostly for full-sized vehicles. I have seen plenty of the mid-sized on the trailers page, which makes perfect sense.

I have a trailer that needs love and I want to make it something of a hybrid, something that can tote home improvement goods (truck only has a 5' bed), haul yard waste so it needs an easily to open top (if any) and also haul extra camping stuff or bikes, etc.

I love the idea, but is it nesc.? That I don't know. For now, I'm just going to clean up my trailer, get new tires/wheels that are more current/better looking, put permanent sides on it with a swing gate out back.

4xdog

Explorer
The biggest advantage (to me) of a trailer is that you don't have to break camp to take the vehicle someplace.

Don

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: YUP, I carry all my camping gear in my trailer and I can openit into a tent(for two), I carry my boats on topofit and my jeep has all the tools/recovery gear/OBA and I can leave base camp to carry boats anywhere-or explore-

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
Some use a trailer for a base camp, and some have utility type trailers, for cleaning the yard, carrying dirt what ever. With a short bed pickup (most feel are a waste of money for a truck) hehe it works both ways sir.lol

Having all your gear in the truck to go where you want and having a trailer that stays behind is a great situation, sometimes doing a tough trail and mom stays home(trailer).

Just do what works best for you.

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
For me (though im not truly full size) 1. Always have everything ready to go at a moments notice just hitch and leave 2. Weight out of the truck means less broken parts longer life and better handling. You would be surprised on some trucks how little they can carry before hitting max axle weights.

hikingff77

Adventurer
All the reasons I thought you'd answer with, all valid. With leaving the trailer behind, I'm assuming those of you who would do that have covers and are lockable?

jeepfreak81

Adventurer
Mine will be lockable.

We had our RTT on our H3 for our last trip. I was hoping to get by like that for this year, as we have another trip coming up this fall, only a week long. I quickly discovered breaking camp every day sucks just to go explore the local area and come back to camp. I quickly hired my buddy to make me my lid for my M416 before the next trip.

Arya Ebrahimi

Adventurer
2011-08-12_14-38-18_436.jpg

Is it excessive and unnecessary for two people with two dogs? Absolutely! Is it a blast and do I love it anyway? Absolutely!

I actually built my trailer with intentions of hauling it behind my 80-series land cruiser, but haven't put it back together yet so it gets towed behind the Duramax.

jim65wagon

Having the trailer and a fullsize (yes it is!) truck is great. Everything required for camping stays in the the trailer, and that leaves tons of room in the truck for additional stuff like hiking gear, kayaking gear, or anything else we may need while exploring away from our basecamp (chainsaw, axe, etc). It also leaves space to pick up any firewood along the way to camp.

Our pre-trailer setup required a couple hours of just loading the truck and rack perfectly to get everything to fit just right (do I carry too much stuff? No. I may not go camping a lot, but when I do go, I Glamp). The trailer is ready to go right now (excepting food in the fridge) and makes a quick trip so easy. I'm digging our fullsize with trailer decision.....

Pikeman

Adventurer
All the reasons I thought you'd answer with, all valid. With leaving the trailer behind, I'm assuming those of you who would do that have covers and are lockable?

I see this as an interesting question. Most people that tent camp leave their tents set up, grills, coolers gear out and unattended for normal camping. Why would it change all of the sudden if it is sitting in the bed of a trailer? The more appropriate question(at least in my mind) is are you removing the coupler? Chaining the wheels? so they can't hook up and pull your trailer away.

Now having a locking lid on the trailer would allow you to leave some of the more valuable/sensitive items at camp that normally you would need to secure in vehicle while away from camp.

Chili

Explorer
We towed a trailer behind a full size (SUV), though we had 2 adults, 2 teens, and 2 Labs in the SUV.. That said, I like the idea of the trailer for a base camp, as others have said.

534844_3770250649273_1308621026_n.jpg

578781_3770250969281_2032509676_n.jpg

Arya Ebrahimi

Adventurer

Didn't see this till just now, the bed of my trailer is open which allows me to use it as a utility trailer when I'm not camping. The bed is the only part of the trailer that is "unsecure." All of the other compartments have locks and get locked when we leave camp for the day. With that said, the only thing they would be stealing would be our camping gear or our beer. I don't leave anything particulary valuable in the trailer if we leave it behind.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94