Full Size Expedition Vehicle Recovery Gear

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
That trail is wide and easy. I've seen EarthRoamers and similar there. He was either going too fast or had no business being off the pavement.

45lpv

Observer
Speaking of sticking a wet noodle up a wildcat’s ******.

This guy had a crappy day.

https://expeditionportal.com/guy-flips-unimog-in-big-bend-forcing-trail-closure/
Tightens the sphincter a bit just thinking about it.

On another note, I did swap over to Masterpull synthetic, added one of their snatch blocks and a couple shackles. I also picked up some large sized ARB straps (one for trees and a 30 footer) to round out the kit. Now I'm ready to tackle more than the occasional dead-fall across the trails.

gregmchugh

Observer
Well yeah, but its a lot easier to just talk $&#*

No kidding, fortunately this forum seems to pretty much avoid the macho BS responses that are common on social media, the post on the incident over in the Unimog section was void of it. The posts on Facebook and Instagram of the incident were 99% BS reponses and 1% reasonable. Such is the age of social media...

waveslider

Outdoorsman
True. Apparently some people don't ever make mistakes. I still do...<sigh>

I hope the guy gets it handled. And would like to hear the full story in case there are learnings. As someone with larger feet than normal, I am painfully aware of the "slip off brake/hit accelerator" phenomenon. I've modified vehicles pedals to help with that problem but even still there were some trucks I owned that I simply couldn't do any technical driving if I was wearing my hunting boots.

gregmchugh

Observer
True. Apparently some people don't ever make mistakes. I still do...<sigh>

I hope the guy gets it handled. And would like to hear the full story in case there are learnings. As someone with larger feet than normal, I am painfully aware of the "slip off brake/hit accelerator" phenomenon. I've modified vehicles pedals to help with that problem but even still there were some trucks I owned that I simply couldn't do any technical driving if I was wearing my hunting boots.

I checked with GXV when I first saw about the rollover and they had already been in contact with the owner, don’t know anything about the extent of the damage to the camper or the truck.

The Kenworth K-370 pedals are very close to each other in a tight space and it is pretty easy to be pushing on both when you are trying to just hit just one especially if you are wearing large boots. I can see how it can easily happen with these pedals in an emergency situation. Not sure on the Unimog pedal spacing.

waveslider

Outdoorsman
On another note, I did swap over to Masterpull synthetic, added one of their snatch blocks and a couple shackles. I also picked up some large sized ARB straps (one for trees and a 30 footer) to round out the kit. Now I'm ready to tackle more than the occasional dead-fall across the trails.

I was looking at that Masterpull stuff. Looks pretty nice and burly.

We ended up corresponding with Chris Cole on the recommendation from another poster and he assembled a custom collection of items to suit our needs. We'll be buying the the whole shebang and maybe even spend some time with him exploring the intricacies of large vehicle recovery operations.

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
When I posted that it was all conjecture. The article was UPDATED. And seriously, no-one puts a wheel in a ditch on that road driving a reasonable speed. You guys need to get a life and figure out how to get your jollies off without being dicks on the internet.

waveslider

Outdoorsman
Meh....

IDAsho, up thread you mentioned tire chains.

A good set of chains are always on board (for front and rear)

Did you build your own or is there an ID retailer/builder you can recommend for xxl tires.

Last edited:

gregmchugh

Observer
Since we were going to return from Alaska in October, I wanted to comply with the BC winter driving regulations. You can find them online with a Google search. For our Kenworth Patogonia, which is classified as an RV, we are not required to carry chains since the Goodyear G278 tires we have are M+S tires. I decided it made sense to carry chains anyway so I went to Purcell tire in Anchorage (the Goodyear commercial tire dealer) and they had chains available for the G278 425/65R22.5 super singles used on our truck. I bought two of these and while we did encounter snow on the way back (between Whitehorse and Dease Lake on the Cassiar Highway) we didn’t need anything beyond 4wd to handle it

55D2572E-12A3-41D0-AD73-C08728EAD4D5.jpeg

waveslider

Outdoorsman
Good stuff Greg. Thanks for sharing. I will be calling them to get a quote. Did you get a chance to even try to test-fit them yet?

gregmchugh

Observer
Good stuff Greg. Thanks for sharing. I will be calling them to get a quote. Did you get a chance to even try to test-fit them yet?

Have not tried to test fit them, something on the always long list of things to do. Cleary should do a test fit someplace where it is nice and warm and paved instead of waiting until I really need them to see if they fit...

Pretty standard instructions for installation...

7BCF4D7C-F3DB-4DF5-8383-FD5DAFC95A44.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior