Full Size Dodge Thread

Antwon412

Found a deal on a brand new Bestop canvas topper. I’d rather have a Softopper one, but for about 1/3 the cost of new I am not complaining.
I plan to leave it like this for now. Once the weather turns a bit worse I will go ahead and put the sides and back on.

AEECE703-EDF9-45D3-A841-F3695B5A1D70.jpeg3EDDACE7-6F60-492E-B9BC-4A3FC1A28593.jpeg8EA9715E-CE07-4281-A2C3-DB4B380AC048.jpeg

jonathon

Installed my Thuren 2” front coils and Fox Shocks. The front rides amazing, stock rear still kind of sucks. Not sure if I’m going to just do Fox Shock with stock rear coils or Thuren coils with air bags. I’m hoping the front settles a bit and the 1/2” lowering coils from Thuren will work without a bro lean

z6eGqVb.jpg

t22lJvy.jpg

I want to go 35x12.5 but will probably go with 295/70R18. Truck doesn’t look terrible with the stock 275/79R18 tires on it now.

Thuren rear track bar really helped tame the rear end of my truck when it has a load in it and run over bumps while turning - for instance, when highway overpass joints occur during turns, or dips in road surface while turning. Used to be so bad stability control would kick in if my truck was fully loaded for a trip... now I still have to be wary of it going 70+ on the freeway, but that's about it.

Install is straightforward from a mechanical perspective, although takes a bit of grunt work drilling through heavy steel brackets... probably technique or tool condition, but I ended up with some bloody knuckles from drill bit grabbing a couple of times. Also takes something just shy of a gorilla to torque the bolts to proper spec.

It doesn't do much for choppy up/down rear ride in a straight-ish line over bumpy roads and trails... that's all springs and shocks and potentially rear sway bar - but really helped on-road while turning at moderate to high speeds.

Last edited:

chet6.7

Explorer
The Thuren rear track bar is almost a required in IMO,the description of what it does on his site is accurate.
"The rear track bar equipped 2014+ 2500 Ram and Power Wagon has some strange handling quirks at higher speeds, mostly noticed on longer rolling bumps and dips in the road. Our rear track bar kit vitrually eliminates that wiggle, and transforms the truck into a very precise handling vehicle. Most gains will be felt on trucks with our softer rear coils. Compared to the OEM configuration our kit relaxes the arc the rear axle travels, reduces bushing deflection, and eliminates un-even torsional spring rate provided by the OEM track bar bushings. These improvements work together to reduce rear steer at higher speeds, fine tune the roll center, and reduce spring rate inconsistencies when the suspension cycles. While not a mandatory part needed for our suspension, most people find the upgrade VERY worth the money."

rnArmy

Adventurer
Here's mine. 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 regular cab SWB 4x4, 5.2/auto. Bought it new; now with 230,000 miles. Rebuilt tranny at 100,000 miles, engine is original (but tired). 2" taller Skyjacker coil springs up front, 2" lift long-leaf add-a-leaf in the rear. Bilstein 5100 series shocks. 4.10 gears and true-tracs front and rear (& Perm-lock up front to get rid of vacuum crap). 285/75/16" tires on 16x8" rims. ARE fiberglass top.

Truck.1.jpg
20200905_163018.jpgDSCN1429.JPG

Last edited:

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Here's mine. 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 regular cab SWB 4x4, 5.2/auto. Bought it new; now with 230,000 miles. Rebuilt tranny at 100,000 miles, engine is original (but tired). 2" taller Skyjacker coil springs up front, 2" lift long-leaf add-a-leaf in the rear. Bilstein 5100 series shocks. 4.10 gears and true-tracs front and rear (& Perm-lock up front to get rid of vacuum crap). 285/75/16" tires on 16x8" rims. ARE fiberglass top.

View attachment 614567
View attachment 614568View attachment 614569
Clean,clean,clean. Shortbed?

rnArmy

Adventurer
Clean,clean,clean. Shortbed?

Yup - shortbed.

It is on repaint job #3. First two times I had it repainted in the factory color (Driftwood) by Maaco. This last time I had it painted 2015 Corvette Shark Gray. Never any rust or real body damage - the usual parking lot dings.

The roof racks on the topper are from a Chevy Tahoe. I put in on there just to kinda break up the lines of the truck, but I do put two pairs of X-Bulls and a shovel up there when going Overlanding or someplace where the possibility exists of getting stuck.

Truck tires.JPGTruck painted.9.jpg
Truck rack.1.jpg
Truck rack.2.jpg

Last edited:

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Excellent! Quite the mountain goat I'll bet. I love those!
I had a 2nd gen longbed 2500. Still the best styled Ram believe. I have an '07 now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier