Full Size Dodge Thread

STREGA

Explorer
Good idea to build it to meet your specific needs, but it won't be a PW when done. The PW's towing and payload specs are a result of the design factors that try to optimize flex and articulation, and partially to keep weight down. A PW will go places yours won't and yours will haul stuff that a PW shouldn't. These are great trucks no matter how they are set up.

Mine got new ball joints a couple weeks ago. I went with DynaTrac. It also got a new, lighter water tank and a reinforced rack system.

Well aware it won't be a "true" PW but it will be pretty close and it will have compromises in order to haul the weights I need to be able to do. I won't be going places a PW can but will be able to go places I want to while hauling a load a PW can't (shouldn't). Life is a series of compromises.

In 2005 I bought the first PW that the Dodge dealer in Grand Junction, Co. got in and know full well of its abilities (and limitations) to carry weight which was not much. But loved that truck most capable Pickup I ever owned, wish I still had it.

Last edited:

Bdk

c953b9b30d45f25e7c5673b0d429b20b.jpg

e5f4e0c71be18aedf2f1877986949780.jpg

d0544122fd5496ddf6e1e9fe38620dc3.jpg

ae8115853aaba11232eab5e0102699b1.jpg

2015 with a bunch of thuren fabrication and carli goodies. King 2.5's.

Takes me everywhere :)

Did you build or buy you're bed rack? I'm looking for a very similar setup.

Bdk

Looks awesome, I just read through your build thread and I'm insanely jealous. You have a very nice truck

Trophycummins

Adventurer
Wonder if that could be adapted to use on a rambox equipped truck. Would you just narrow it a bit to adapt it, and use the rails in the bed to carry the weight?

Branden

Adapted? I wouldn't. But one could be made to fit a Rambox truck no problem. Any competent fabricator can make one of these racks, it wasn't hard.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gunpainter

Observer
Adapted? I wouldn't. But one could be made to fit a Rambox truck no problem. Any competent fabricator can make one of these racks, it wasn't hard.

I meant along the lines of altered so that it would work with the rambox, which i'm assuming would just be using narrower cross members between the sides. I'm trying to sort out who here in kansas city has the capability to fab one up. I have a few friends with welders, and access to a machine shop (well, more of a gunsmithing machine shop, but a cnc mill can be handy), and i'm a painter so I could coat it myself. I'm just not sure if I personally have the skill to do it, and i'm also not sure what the weight limits are for the rails that come in the rambox.

Branden

Trophycummins

Adventurer
I meant along the lines of altered so that it would work with the rambox, which i'm assuming would just be using narrower cross members between the sides. I'm trying to sort out who here in kansas city has the capability to fab one up. I have a few friends with welders, and access to a machine shop (well, more of a gunsmithing machine shop, but a cnc mill can be handy), and i'm a painter so I could coat it myself. I'm just not sure if I personally have the skill to do it, and i'm also not sure what the weight limits are for the rails that come in the rambox.

Branden

You can always add bed supports if you fear the bed rail is going to flex.

Just find someone that deals with race car fabrication. Anyone that can build roll cages will have the tools to build a rack. A good tubing bender with good dies is essential. Don't buy pipe either, get good structural tubing like DOM.

frojoe

Adventurer
Joe's truck "Sally"

Here's my 1998.5 24V 5spd. 240,000km and just completed a ~5,000km trip around northern BC and dipping into Yukon and Alaska. Has Thuren front coils, sway bar, and Fox 2.0 shocks, another brand tubular control arms, RedHead steering box, and DOR track bar. Currently figuring out a custom Chevy 64" leaf spring rear suspension swap. Has 35" Firestone MT's on 17"x9" ProComp steelies, onboard air with a 5gal tank, exhaust brake, front and rear [small] LED lights, an inverter, a Truckfridge 51qt fridge powered by a 3rd battery on a circuit breaker, and a fullsize spare holder and jerry can rack along with a bed sleeping platform in the bed. Everything has been serviced, installed, or fabricated by myself.

adventure01.jpg

adventure02.jpg

adventure03.jpg

adventure04.jpg

adventure05.jpg

adventure04.jpg

Last edited:

Bcmmp9

Observer
My 2003 Ram 1500 build. 5.9(360) 17in Method standards(waiting on 2 rims), 305/70/17 Nitto ridge grapplers(waiting on 2 tires), Rough country leveling kit, 1in rear lift, Fox shocks, ARE camper shell, K&N intake, JBA headers, K&N intake, Hemifever tuner, Fastman 52mm throttle body, Hid's. I got parts at the house to install and still waiting on parts to come in. Looking at installing a yakima roof rack on my camper shell soon. I'm looking into buying a CVT tent in the future. I do a lot of hiking and camping so it will work out great. I know not many people build 1500's but its what I have and can afford until next year when I can get a mega cab 2500. For right now I know what its capable of and she's took me wherever I have wanted to go. I'll post more pics when I get them there are a few weeks old. Overtime has kept me from getting out much.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles