Full Size Dodge Thread

colodak

Adventurer
I believe the 8 speed is only standard on the RAM 1500 with the 3.6L V6 and 3.0L V6 diesel. The 5.7L Hemi still gets the 6 speed transmission as standard equipment and the 8 speed as an option although some higher option groups require the 8 speed to be mated to the Hemi. Personally, I would not accept the 8 speed mainly due to the transmission selector shaft being electrically shifted opposed to a cable. There is not one single manufacturer than can make electric shift transfercases work reliably, and now they want us to take a transmission shifted that way? NO! I'd take two less gears and have a lever with a cable mechanically connected to the trans selector shaft.

On the other hand, I predict when the RAM 2500 and 3500 get their 8 speed (or even 9) it will be an Aisin transmission and not the gimmicky ZF 8-speed with the electric shift like used in the 1500 series, RWD Chrysler cars and a few German cars (Audi and I think Mercedes).

No long ago I had to manage a field change to retrofit many commercial trucks from electric shift Allison transmissions back to mechanical cables due to reliability issues. No way would I take this in a personal vehicle, even though RAM keeps touting how commercial trucks have used electric shift for years. Meh!...Yeah, those fleets and drivers with electric shift hate them too! It is simply not reliable but time will tell how well RAM owners love it.
Dodge-Ram_1500_2013_800x600_wallpaper_54.jpg

Larry, my company has over 6 million miles of exp. on electronically shifted Eaton Fuller autoshifts in our semi's and slowly starting to phase those out with push button auto's. My last autoshift semi had 978K on it when we traded it off, I was the only driver, aside from shift motor issues in the first 3 yrs (Eaton Fuller lowest common bidder issue), that truck was more reliable than our manuals. The clutch was replaced at 678K, only because the clutch brake had failed and the company told them to replace the clutch while they were at it, it was suspected it could have gone another 150K minimum. Both of our freightliners with Eaton 10 spd manuals had the trans rebuilt in under 500K, one was rebuilt twice within 4 months. One of the large mail carriers in this area now has 1/4 of his fleet of 300 tractors with push button automatic Mack's and Volvo's with zero reliability issues, and a couple of those tractors already have 300K miles on them in just over 2 yrs time. UPS is planning to start changing over to Mdrive Mack's within a year, Shamrock Foods, Sysco Foods, US Foodservice are all switching to push button trans equipped tractors as they begin replacing them. Eaton has stopped making the autoshift and will only make manuals or the freedom line. Mack and Volvo, the default trans on new tractors is a push button auto, PACCAR, Int'l and Freightliner will all probably go that route in the next couple of years. One large OTR company is taking delivery of 200 T700's, all with push button auto's. Volvo has been using push button auto's in Europe for at least 6 years, including heavy haul applications. The one trucking site I'm on, there is a guy on there that does heavy haul, up to 200,000 lbs with a push button Volvo.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Larry, my company has over 6 million miles of exp. on electronically shifted Eaton Fuller autoshifts in our semi's and slowly starting to phase those out with push button auto's. My last autoshift semi had 978K on it when we traded it off, I was the only driver, aside from shift motor issues in the first 3 yrs (Eaton Fuller lowest common bidder issue), that truck was more reliable than our manuals. The clutch was replaced at 678K, only because the clutch brake had failed and the company told them to replace the clutch while they were at it, it was suspected it could have gone another 150K minimum. Both of our freightliners with Eaton 10 spd manuals had the trans rebuilt in under 500K, one was rebuilt twice within 4 months. One of the large mail carriers in this area now has 1/4 of his fleet of 300 tractors with push button automatic Mack's and Volvo's with zero reliability issues, and a couple of those tractors already have 300K miles on them in just over 2 yrs time. UPS is planning to start changing over to Mdrive Mack's within a year, Shamrock Foods, Sysco Foods, US Foodservice are all switching to push button trans equipped tractors as they begin replacing them. Eaton has stopped making the autoshift and will only make manuals or the freedom line. Mack and Volvo, the default trans on new tractors is a push button auto, PACCAR, Int'l and Freightliner will all probably go that route in the next couple of years. One large OTR company is taking delivery of 200 T700's, all with push button auto's. Volvo has been using push button auto's in Europe for at least 6 years, including heavy haul applications. The one trucking site I'm on, there is a guy on there that does heavy haul, up to 200,000 lbs with a push button Volvo.

Well heck, I guess congratulation is in order :sombrero:…..but everything you just mentioned are large Class 8 over the road trucks where the drivers actually use the shift pads only a few times a day. Class 8 trucks are like commercial airliners where they spend most of their time cruising, not stop and go, in and out of park, etc. Imagine having buttons or dials in a UPS or FedEx delivery van that makes 100’s of stops each day or a yard spotter that moves trailers around a terminal yard or distribution center around the clock. The electric shift does not work well or for very long in those duty cycles. A RAM truck with an electric shift transmission may not see the rotary dial shift action like a delivery van or yard spotter but it would certainly see more action than a Class 8 OTR semi.

If you like that kind of electric gadgetry in the RAM buy one and let us know how you still like it by the time the truck hits 100,000 miles
histerical.gif

You’re right though, most Class 8 and short haul large trucks have been moving to automated manual transmission over the past several years because companies cannot find drivers that actually know how to drive manual transmissions these days. Electric shift is the only way to get an automated transmission such as an Eaton AutoShift. If you hang around the large truck dealerships much you would see the control heads in the autoshift type transmissions are one of the number 1 failures in large commercial trucks. It will be interesting to see how this plays out for RAM.

TwinStick

Explorer

2008 Dodge Power Wagon w/G56 6-speed manual. 4.56's in axles, 2.72 Lo Range & 6.29 first gear. Our "Jack of all trades" vehicle. LOVE this truck. Pulls our 10,500 lb toyhauler easily, takes us hunting in snow/mud with no worries, DD in winter. Lift & expedition mods coming in future we hope, along with an off-road trailer. :)

Post updates:

Pic after I put some DuraBak red bedliner on the rockers.

Pic of new ARE MX Series cap w/toolbox on drivers side only, no windows, but 3 solid panel access doors (both sides & back). LED lights & Yakima roof rack & 12v power block.

And our new "Off-the beaten-path" camper. Around 22" of clearance, give or take. Love this camper. Tows awesome. Power Wagon don't even know it's back there, even in the hills.

Last edited:

Saiyan66

Adventurer
Hello, I just found this thread and I think you all might just have the info I need. I am in the ,very long and slow, process of building my 2012 3500 CTD into an Expo vehicle. As of now I have a Phoenix camper and am working on new batteries and a new fridge. I am trying to find some vehicle protection, including rock rails but am having a hard time finding anything other than bumpers. Will I need to get someone to help me fab it all or are there parts already out there? Eventually I want Carli suspension, bigger tires, bumpers, bigger fuel tank...............
Thanks for any suggestions.

Pert, what color is your truck? It looks green in this picture, but it might just be the lighting. Thanks.

Well heck, I guess congratulation is in order :sombrero:…..but everything you just mentioned are large Class 8 over the road trucks where the drivers actually use the shift pads only a few times a day. Class 8 trucks are like commercial airliners where they spend most of their time cruising, not stop and go, in and out of park, etc. Imagine having buttons or dials in a UPS or FedEx delivery van that makes 100's of stops each day or a yard spotter that moves trailers around a terminal yard or distribution center around the clock. The electric shift does not work well or for very long in those duty cycles. A RAM truck with an electric shift transmission may not see the rotary dial shift action like a delivery van or yard spotter but it would certainly see more action than a Class 8 OTR semi.

If you like that kind of electric gadgetry in the RAM buy one and let us know how you still like it by the time the truck hits 100,000 miles
histerical.gif

You're right though, most Class 8 and short haul large trucks have been moving to automated manual transmission over the past several years because companies cannot find drivers that actually know how to drive manual transmissions these days. Electric shift is the only way to get an automated transmission such as an Eaton AutoShift. If you hang around the large truck dealerships much you would see the control heads in the autoshift type transmissions are one of the number 1 failures in large commercial trucks. It will be interesting to see how this plays out for RAM.

We own a 2004 F150 Lariat SuperCrew, It has an electronically shifted transfer-case. I used the truck to pull a tree-stump the other day. Took some finangling to get it into low-range. It usually does. But! this time, it took me hours to get it out of low-range! I hate that electric shift (I hate that truck!). I took it to the dealer, and they told me there is nothing wrong with it. B.S.!!!

I can not wait to get my 1989 Dodge-Ramcharger-Cummins-conversion done, so I never have to use that Ford, glorified car, like a truck again.

colodak

Adventurer
Well heck, I guess congratulation is in order :sombrero:…..but everything you just mentioned are large Class 8 over the road trucks where the drivers actually use the shift pads only a few times a day. Class 8 trucks are like commercial airliners where they spend most of their time cruising, not stop and go, in and out of park, etc. Imagine having buttons or dials in a UPS or FedEx delivery van that makes 100’s of stops each day or a yard spotter that moves trailers around a terminal yard or distribution center around the clock. The electric shift does not work well or for very long in those duty cycles. A RAM truck with an electric shift transmission may not see the rotary dial shift action like a delivery van or yard spotter but it would certainly see more action than a Class 8 OTR semi.

histerical.gif

You’re right though, most Class 8 and short haul large trucks have been moving to automated manual transmission over the past several years because companies cannot find drivers that actually know how to drive manual transmissions these days. Electric shift is the only way to get an automated transmission such as an Eaton AutoShift. If you hang around the large truck dealerships much you would see the control heads in the autoshift type transmissions are one of the number 1 failures in large commercial trucks. It will be interesting to see how this plays out for RAM.

Our 9 day cabs spend all day along the front range of Colorado, typical day is 10 to 13 hours, and 10 to 15 drop/hooks of ocean containers within the metro area, stop/go traffic, that's all they do. As for hostlers, you might want to talk to Wally World, they have push button automatics at the Loveland and Cheyenne DC. If companies/drivers are getting less than 350K out of a set of X/Y motors for an Autoshift, someone needs a lesson in abuse. My current tractor has 462K, the shift motors went 395K before they started to act up, again I spend a lot of time doing local work. My prior tractor, I went through 6 shifters between Jan. '00 and Jan. '03, the next set of shift motors was replaced in July 2008, 3 months before the truck was traded off. Eaton rates the life at 390K to 500K depending on application. Considering they have stopped building them, and will only make the Freedomline or manuals, it won't matter. They will continue to build shift motors for at least the next decade though.

And pics or build thread is where???

LOL, its not really much of an expo-rig. More of a daily driver. When we go camping we pull a 16ft enclosed trailer. So, it will be more of a daily-driver/tow-rig. (I know, who builds a ramcharger for a tow rig?! LOL)
But, the build is here: http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/dev/my-daily-driver-ramcharger-build-t315003.html
I would love to post the build here, as I think this site is awesome. And I can contribute loads of first-gen Dodge diesel tech. Just not sure how much expo knowledge I can contribute.
A couple things I do want to incorporate into my build are on-board-air, and solar power of some kind. I guess those things are pretty expo oriented.

Here is a picture of my current project:

It obviously is a work in progress. It doesn't even have a drive-train in it currently.

And just for giggles, Here is a picture of the last rig I was building:

That one snowballed out of control in a direction I finally realized I did not want to go. I had it about 80% complete when I realized it. And some of the mods made it impossible to back-track (like the bed-bob). So I sold it to a good friend (after I yanked the drive-train), and he picked up right where I left off, and is well on his way to finishing it.

And finally, here is a picture of the trailer that we camp out of:

Now, that may be worth a thread here in the near future as I have a bunch of neat plans for it!

rxinhed

Dirt Guy
My Ramcharger is intended as a tow rig, but only for little things and close to home. I'm looking at a '77 W400 this weekend, might trade my turbo Mighty Max for it. If the deals goes through, I'll be getting the other Dodge for the 4.88 geared D60 / D70 and use the rest as an ornamental barn storage unit.

Cross my fingers:
01313_klvxW7rUKet_600x450.jpg

Is the sway bar for your RC?

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I would love to post the build here, as I think this site is awesome. And I can contribute loads of first-gen Dodge diesel tech. Just not sure how much expo knowledge I can contribute.

And finally, here is a picture of the trailer that we camp out of:

Now, that may be worth a thread here in the near future as I have a bunch of neat plans for it!

I think they are both worth a thread. There are many on this site that are far less "ExPo" oriented. I love the "paint scheme" on the W250. It's well on the way to becoming "patina". How long was the bed after the bob? It doesn't look like you took too much length off.

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
Can I play too? full-size Dodge, huh? I guess a short bed is considered full size. I bought a S.B. because it was the only size that would fit going down the spiral ramp at the L.A. Music Center underground parking lot (where I played bass trombone in the Philharmonic)
I bought mine new because it had:
1.Cummins HO-CTD. 505 # ft. of torque, 245 neck snapping H.P., 1022 pounds dry. Seems like low numbers now-o-days, but it was a big leap up from the non-HO engine and it's not going to break the following;
2. New Venture NV5600, 6 spd. manual trans. Cast iron case, 360 pounds; no case/shaft deflection here. It has a fairly close ratio and there is almost no time at which I can't select an appropriate gear. With only a 5.63:1 low gear, it's a little tall when towing 10,000 pounds or getting up the CVWR of 19,300 pounds. The old Ford NP435 in my CJ8 has a 6.69:1 low gear and the older Chevy SM420 had a 7.05;1 low gear.
3. NV241HD t-case. It shows as having no more poundage on the twist scale as both the HD and non-HD use the same output bearing, but the HD has a much broader chain to mitigate shock loading you get when using a snow plow.
4.A camper package, which 12 yrs. ago was the defacto SRW 3500 Dodge. Why? It had the secondary pack (over load springs), just like the one ton. Almost every other part was identical between the 2500 and the 3500 except hub spacers on the front axle for the off-set wheels, and a slightly narrower rr axle on the 3500. Engine, brakes, frame, body, drive train; all the same.
5. It was the first time the Dana 80, 35 spine was offered (except with the V-10).
After 146K miles I've had extraordinary luck with this truck (if you ask a Chevy owner). The infamous lift pump went out at 90K mi. and I replaced it with a pusher down on the frame instead of a sucker up on the engine. Also, i installed a fuel pressure idiot light which detects when the pressure gets below 5 pounds. All is well.
6. Ability to drive over poor or doubtful, 3rd world roads for days on end thru endless mud, deep snow, or blow sand. The farther you get away from a stock rig, the more difficult this becomes. Also, the ability to use anyone's diesel fuel. check.
So, what has gone wrong? I'm on my 3rd pair of batteries; one of the interior lights doesn't work; I ripped off the wire to the axle disconnect once; tried several sets of tires, now settled on 33x15.50R16 super singles (on 12" wide wheels) rear and 33x13.50's front. These Mickey Thompson's have worn like iron for me. On my third set of brakes.
So, no trans, clutch, headlights, tailights, axles, drivetrain or engine woes. Really my only complaint is one that is heard often, for good reason, namely the body integrity and fit and finish leaves something to be desired. But, i knew this going in: I was purchasing a Cummins with some vague other parts attached that i had to put up with.
The thing that makes my Dodge an actual Expedition Rig is the Lance Lite camper parked in the bed. We could leave tomorrow and camp out for the next year if we had to or wanted to. In fact next year looks like our best shot at a circumnavigation of the boundaries of the continental U.S.A., counterclockwise, starting on Sept. 1st and returning about New Years, 2015. I was thinking about what makes an actual Expedition Rig an Expedition Rig. Here are some perimeters I came up with;
1. Ability to sleep, eat, camp, and live inside with almost no set up in any climate or season with a modicum of comfort. This means fuel to run a stove, water heater and furnace; this means enough water for both domestic and drinking for at least 10 days. This means some kind of on-board biffy, whether a porta potty or an actual bathroom. This means some kind of shower arrangement whether an outside shower tent or an actual inside shower arrangement. This means some form of food preservation, whether it be a lowly ice chest or an actual refrigerator.
2. At least a 500 mile fuel capacity with what you carry. Besides the 34 gal. tank, I carry two, low-boy diesel/5 gal. jugs along on VERY remote trips. this gets me about 550 miles + or -.

remember the slower you drive with a diesel, the better mpg you get back. The jugs are on an aluminum rack plugged into the Class V hitch with a couple nights of firewood and chains to keep everything from wobbling.
3. Four wheel drive (or more if you have 6WD) with traction aids. i.e. lockers, LSD.
4. A winch and a lot of other recovery equipment. i.e. snatch block; 20 foot, 3" wide strap; 30 foot, 4" wide strap, Cat choker, extra cable with hooks, several 'D' rings, 12' piece of heavy chain with big hooks, 60" hi-lift jack. on-board air.
5. Enough spare parts to plug the dyke, so to speak, like two spare tires, (which i have to do) a lower radiator hose, a serpentine belt, a complete electrical bag with tester and ability to diagnose what's wrong.
Oh, i'll come up with more. Enough for now. Here are a few pix of XTC:

Last edited:

wingerak92

might as well join up here. My current rig, I am slowly moving it from a DD to a dedicated rig… Won't fully happen until I move away from the flatlands to either Vancouver Island or the Kootenays, but definitely working on it. JUst showing off some of the PW standard features here:
9057DF09-C8AD-417B-B252-E47BDE98770C-5868-000004136CBAF10F_zpsd7649dde.jpg

B0D8B50F-9009-4FCB-A340-47579ED216E0-5868-000004136673D453_zpse1265e9b.jpg

00776422-0C7C-4647-80CF-9A79C17F4C95-5868-000004135E715956_zpsead099d3.jpg

image7_zpsbfd47ef9.jpeg

IMAG0354_zpsc4d45553.jpg

gun45boat

Adventurer
04 Dodge 3/4ton (2500) with a stroked (6.4) hemi on Nitrous. :sombrero::sombrero: Awesome trucks fellas!!!!!!!!!!! Great concepts too.. To much BS to list, but it is built for long distance and long term runs. but to be able to hit the nasty'est trails and somewhat live in luxury (yes, the roof top tent has A.C. :):):)

Attachments

• 18.jpeg
    18.jpeg
    170.1 KB · Views: 128
  • 17.jpeg
    17.jpeg
    183.9 KB · Views: 138
  • 14.jpeg
    14.jpeg
    175.2 KB · Views: 135
  • 4.jpeg
    4.jpeg