Full size crew (short bed) vs. Tacoma Double cab

hikingff77

Adventurer
I was watching the most recent episode of the web series Expedition Overland and thought to myself, "I wish I had a Tacoma like that". Then I realized, I have basically the same thing, just slightly larger and not outfitted with unlimited funds. I have an '08 Silverado, great truck so far at almost 70k on the clock. I have the same cap with the flip up side windows, etc, but I have a few things that truck doesn't have, room, HP, and more load capacity. They don't get much better MPG, although depending on driving habits and load.

My question is this, and I'm a Tacoma lover (just too small for my family), if I outfitted my Silverado with the RTT, winch, fridges, etc., is there any real differences that would make you choose one over the other?

Anyone have a Silverado/F-150/Ram outfitted similarity and what is your experience with it?

Thanks.

Kottonwood

Adventurer
I would take a silverado over a taco any day of the week. Load capacity is key when you are offroading with lot's of gear. I am currently in an f150, some would say the long wheel base is limiting, but I have gone over many trails that the jeep folks were like "there's no way you'll get up there" Limited slip rear makes a big difference. also I have driven it through many tight streets in central america and I must say I would not want to go any bigger than a standard bed extended cab, though it can be done. http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/121582-f150-Sleeper

edit: Just wanted to add that v8 power is really nice to have, my rig fully loaded will pass going up hill like a breeze, also for offroad it is great to have that power when needed. There is really no comparison powerwise to a taco.

Last edited:

Big50

Adventurer
Stick with your Silverado and build it. As you've realized, there's not much benefit to downsizing. With all the gear carried on an Expo rig, I'd much rather have a V8. Although, a Taco with a V8 would be pretty sweet. My wife has an 05 4runner with a V8 and I love the power in that thing. I don't understand why Toyota didn't put one in a Tacoma.

njtacoma

Explorer
My wife and I were on a date this weekend, and I looked across the truck at her and said, "So can we drive to Canada in this?" The issue being the tight quarters. This trip is more of a road trip, dirt roads at best. The reality is it is tight for four, throw in a stuffed animal, and random debris that seems to accumulate and it gets really uncomfortable.

We are looking at full size vans and sprinters.

hikingff77

Adventurer
My wife and I were on a date this weekend, and I looked across the truck at her and said, "So can we drive to Canada in this?" The issue being the tight quarters. This trip is more of a road trip, dirt roads at best. The reality is it is tight for four, throw in a stuffed animal, and random debris that seems to accumulate and it gets really uncomfortable.

We are looking at full size vans and sprinters.

That's absolutely exactly what I find! I have three kids, one being my step-daughter, and if she decides to come with us, it's a full house! I couldn't imagine being in a Taco with four people, let along all the crap. Hell, I've done down the shore for the weekend and took enough stuff to fill my truck, just in kid crap... It is truly scary how fast it accumulates.

I would love a RTT, but too costly and to be honest, I'm not a fan of how top heavy they make the truck. Plus, I'm a kayaker and wouldn't have a place for those, unless I brought a trailer, which I'd rather have the RTT on top of...

On the gear note, the only downside to a 1500 Silverado is accessories like bumpers and stuff, I have only seen 'solid' bumpers for 2500, etc.

Thanks for the replies...

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
As much as I'm not really a Chevrolet guy, even tho I own a suburban, IM even less of a Toyota guy. Never saw the appeal of them. they are tin cans, rust in months not years, underpowered and ride like crap. Silverado all the way! Go for it! Build it up and drive the crap out of it!

deadbeat son

Explorer
I think if you're looking for unbiased answers, you won't likely get many in this forum. Likewise, if you want unbiased replies, you won't get many on the Toyota forum either.

I have a 2nd gen Tacoma DCSB, which has quite a bit more power and room than the 1st generation. I have considered getting rid of it for a full-size truck, only because I would really like the increased load capacity and the ability to fit a FWC Hawk. One thing keeps pulling me back to the Tacoma though, its size. I simply don't want the added mass of a full-size truck.

It sounds like you'd be better off keeping what you have. Although the Toyota is a great truck and I really love mine, if it won't fit your family, it doesn't sound like the right answer.

Clutch

<---Pass
My question is this, and I'm a Tacoma lover (just too small for my family), if I outfitted my Silverado with the RTT, winch, fridges, etc., is there any real differences that would make you choose one over the other?

Think of it like this...trucks are used to all your crap around...which ever does that better, wins. I like both the Silvy and the Tacoma...the Silvy would probably work better for your application. I have a Tacoma, tell ya...with just the two of us and a dog, it gets tight on long trips. Great "little" truck though...they get overloaded and filled up right quick if you're not careful. I know I yearn for a fullsize on our longer trips that we take.

kenn_chan

I had a 98 toyota 4 door that I sold right as I bought my F150 and to be blunt, there is a world of difference between the two. Yes the Toyota fits many places the F150 will not, yes it gets much better gas mileage (at least here in Japan the roads are totally screwed)

But the Ford, has way more pulling/hauling capacity, a lot more room, and was nicer on long trips.

both were capable off orad machines they each have their strengths, and their weak point's.

But with two daughters and the wife, the Ford has so much more room, you can totally stretch out your legs where as in the Toyota, somebody was going to suffer either the front seats or the rear, and if you have ever had a 2 year old wailing at the top of its lungs in your ear because the seat is slid back further than she likes you will understand why I say keep the Chevy and build the heck out of it.

tacogrande

I have both an 05 Tacoma and an 08 2500HD. We take the tacoma on real "offroad" adventures, remote camping, and anytime there is deep unplowed snow, water crossings, etc. The duramax wins on long road trips as long as it doesn't include too much gravel like a summertime Yellowstone trip where we will be near civilization. The chevy rides rough (both rigs have nice suspension systems), and is really hard to get unstuck by yourself. I have never got the taco stuck so bad I couldn't get out with just a hilift jack. The chevy is less reliable on tough terrain, and eats parts. (steering, ball joints, CV's etc) but has better logistical support in the US. It's pretty easy to find chevy parts in any small town. Not always true with the taco...but we traveled all over europe in it and had no problem getting common parts as they are shared with various toyota platforms. I would not want to take the duramax overseas. The question is what will you be doing and where will you be going?

Plannerman

Wandering Explorer
Like Tacogrande says, it depends on what you need the vehicle for. We have a Tacoma and a full size. We typically use the full size for long road trips. We use Tacoma for backcountry travel. Depending on where you're traveling, a longer, wider truck might be fine. In some of the places we travel, the Tacoma is even a little big.

Sent via fat thumb

bloodyWEST

Adventurer
this is how i look at it, i pulled specs based of a 2014 1500 crew cab 4x4 5.3l

curb weight 5218
max gvwr 7200

payload 1950lbs to play with

VS
2014 toyota double cab 4x4 v6
curb weight 4220
max gvwr 5500
payload 1280

500# 2 adults 2 kids
50# ice chest
100# tools recovery gear
200# bumpers/winches
100# camping gear
50# over sized offroad tires
80# 5 gal fuel/ 5 gal water
=1080#

add in kayaks, a dog, RTT and the tacoma starts to loose my interest real fast

ive done camping with 4 guys in a 4.0L jeep and it sucks, 55mph in the slow lane all day

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles