Full length rack noise

Ray_G

Explorer
Thanks for all the feedback. Always nice to hear first hand experience. I was trying to decide whether or not it was worth it to save a few hundred and not getting the prospeed. I know what Ray would say ...

Ha! How long have we been talking about this elsewhere? I'm just saying...
I always laugh when the UK D3/D4 guys say that switching to coils is for poor people-but they won't spend the $ to get the rack that basically is the SD low rack of this platform.

Plenty of reasons to get FR or any number of other types of rack-but if wind noise is a legit concern, it is hard to beat making the call to L8, turning away from the CC for a few weeks, and getting the prospeed. :)

If you are concerned about wind noise and only plan to use it for the occasional RTT, then I would think your PRO/CON scale has you in the ProSpeed category. The rack can be used for everything you need and surely is the most likely candidate to meet the low profile and quiet requirements you are seeking.

Not cheap by any means, but "anything" not fitting the roof line like ProSpeed is going to disappoint you in the wind noise department when it's slick for daily use. Even with the ProSpeed, when something is put on top of it, wind noise is going to be a factor.

I've had an FR full for years and love the rack. Yes, it's loud and needs a better wind deflector. The FR deflector does nothing more than break the buffeting effect and noise under the crossbars, it does nothing for fuel economy

Just my two cents and hope this helps!

krick3tt

Adventurer
Mostly the noise in a FR rack is caused by the cross members running at right angle to the rack instead of longitudinally. the wind has more chance to blow across( and create a whistle) instead of with the rack. I saw a Youtube hosted by Andrew St Piere about choosing a rack.

maxi450x

Got this roof rack for the suv it was making a Lot of noise, then i welder some artistic sheet metal and got quiet as a tomb

1ff010a14dcd0cfb79d5da5648f48677.jpg

Enviado desde mi S60 mediante Tapatalk

southpier

Expedition Leader
Well Disco, like they say... "even a blind pig eventually finds an acorn." I guess I just got lucky last year; mine was cheap, easy to find, great condition, and rocks. They're definitely still out there.

who is this "they" everyone speaks?

spikemd

Explorer
A fairing on the front greatly reduced wind noise. As a temporary measure I added foam pipe insulation to my SD rack on thr P38 that was 1 inch round and that cut down on noise by half.

I then added a curved LED light bar that sits above the roof and below/in front of the rack and noise is greatly reduced plus I have better light.

My LR3 OEM rack has top level removed and is quiet. Been thnking of adding LED lightbar but probably selling it soon.

treckin

The full length FR rack is lound in my opinion.

Can’t speak for the 3/4 rack.

I made an aluminum plate into a makeshift air dam, works surprisingly well.

E7EE2BFF-4A87-4D7A-B2F9-0D37636E4A74.jpeg

Abran

Observer
Frontrunner is offering an air dam now for the LR3 and LR4.

I have pictures, but they won’t load on my phone.

Should be available this month.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke